• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuny98

Quote from: VU2014 on February 26, 2018, 03:59:34 PM1: Bakari (backup: Sackey, Micah (?)) 2: JFL ("backup": Golder (he'll play starter minutes playing the swing 2-3)) 3: Fazekas ("backup": Golder (see above), Kiser) 4: McMillan (backup: Parker, maybe Marty can play some 4?) 5: Smits (backup: Sorolla, Marty) I think we may add a grad transfer PF or a SG. I could see the coaching staff wanting to add a grad-transfer 2G to take some pressure off JFL and to add depth in the backcourt. McMillan needs to take the next step next season and become more reliable on D without fouling so much. Parker needs to take a step.

I think Golder should start and play as many minutes as possible. The way he played to finish out the year and his energy is huge.

All depends on how good JFL is coming in, but if he is as advertised, my starting lineup as of today would be
1. Bakari
2. JFL
3. Golder
4. Fazekas (I know not a true 4, would be fine with the "smaller" lineup)
5. Smits

Would be great to have some good development from the 4's and or a transfer to help fill the gap.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 15, 2018, 10:24:13 AM
Looks like a thicker Marcus Golder.

Tyshawn Davis doesn't have near the bounce or quickness that Golder has, but agreed he's much thicker/stronger. He definitely seems like a interesting player. It sounds like his recruitment blew up the last few months.

He looks like a undersized stretch 4. He look like he operates more around the basket but may have the jump shot to stretch the defense. The thing that really stands out is his 54.1 3PT%. That is ridiculously good for a guy that size. Something that needs to be considered is the level of competition he's playing against. If he did choose to attend Valpo it may be a bigger adjustment curve then it was for Golder. Golder admitted how much of a learning curve it was from JUCO to this level. The speed of the game slowed down for him as the season went on.

vu72

I expect some of us are wondering how well Daniel Sackey will do at the D1 level, only being 5'10".  After watching the Miami -Loyola game yesterday, I think he will do just fine.  Anyone else notice Miami's starting point guard?  The kid is 5'7"!  I looked him up and it turns out ESPN had him ranked in the top 50 in his class!  With Daniel's speed and quickness I suspect he will be a real handful particularly if he can shoot consistently from the 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

Texas Southern's leading scorer is also playing today and is only 5'7""
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vufan75

Per recruiting analyst Jeff Goodman on Twitter today....

"USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham told ESPN he has his release. Averaged 13.7 ppg and 3.1 apg. Western Kentucky, UAB, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Valpo, Tulane, Wyoming, VCU, South Carolina and Nevada have all shown interest."

Per USC-upstate roster, he is a 6-0 185lb guard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU2014

Interesting to hear that we're showing interest in a grad-transfer guard. Maybe the coaches know someone is thinking about transferring. We have 1 scholarship left and I would have thought it would have gone to a PF transfer because that was our weakest position by far this season. It could also be that they are expecting a big leap from Mileek, Parker, and Marty next season.

I've heard people say the MVC is a guard league. You aren't going anywhere in this league if you don't have exceptional guard play. We have 2 good guards in Bakari and Golder (swing guy) but Micah just wasn't producing enough even if he played a solid backup PG at the end of the season.  Still Micah really struggled to make shots last season and you just can't have that at this level. We have JFL and Sackey coming in but they might not be fully ready to step in and replace Tevonn and Max's production especially on the defensive end of the ball.

Year: RS JR
Position: PG
Height: 6-1
Weight: 190
Hometown: Washington, DC
High School: DuVal High School

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mike-cunningham-2.html

M

Can't have too many guards. We have a lot of front court guys, we can argue about how talented/ready they are somewhere else. I think another guard who can put the spherical thing in the round thing is a good idea.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on March 20, 2018, 08:31:07 PM
Interesting to hear that we're showing interest in a grad-transfer guard. Maybe the coaches know someone is thinking about transferring. We have 1 scholarship left and I would have thought it would have gone to a PF transfer because that was our weakest position by far this season. It could also be that they are expecting a big leap from Mileek, Parker, and Marty next season.

I've heard people say the MVC is a guard league. You aren't going anywhere in this league if you don't have exceptional guard play. We have 2 good guards in Bakari and Golder (swing guy) but Micah just wasn't producing enough even if he played a solid backup PG at the end of the season.  Still Micah really struggled to make shots last season and you just can't have that at this level. We have JFL and Sackey coming in but they might not be fully ready to step in and replace Tevonn and Max's production especially on the defensive end of the ball.

[/quote

Really good numbers!  USC Upstate is a strong (if under the radar) program.  He'd be a great addition that could help immediately!

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 20, 2018, 08:58:47 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 20, 2018, 08:31:07 PM

[/quote

Really good numbers!  USC Upstate is a strong (if under the radar) program.  He'd be a great addition that could help immediately!
It takes some doing to be the worst team in the A-Sun but USC Upstate won it hands down with an RPI of 344. Was this guy a victim or a cause? Some of his numbers do look interesting but others raise questions.

So maybe. I can certainly understand our willingness to give him a closer look. We could use another experienced 3 point shooting guard especially if he can play both the 1 and 2. But ---we have many needs and only one available scholarship.

valpo84

Just because Valpo shows up on a list of has shown "interest." doesn't mean it's strong interest.  It could be nothing more than heard you are transferring, do you have video.

His numbers do not scream show more interest.  He is a 3-pt shooter in a lesser conference with not the greatest numbers for that.  We could use a Will Bogan-type with some size for a guard and can knock down 40% from 3 or as we have said another power guy.   Based on %s, there will be a great deal of people transferring.  A 1-year grad transfer is a good transitional player, but a highly talented player with 2-3 years left that want to come back to the Chicagoland area and may have to sit 1 isn't so bad either.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

I doubt we'd carry three 7 footers on a roster but I saw it, so I thought I'd share it. Maybe if we offered we'd maybe red-shirt him? The Coaching staff might just be scouting him and keeping in touch.

https://twitter.com/zsmart3/status/976609812212568065

Abraham Makumator

Video highlights from 2017: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7922833/589c769d420fce2e88299ecb

Number 33 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6KbXgPDI6I

Number 14 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdD_LErJxxw

M

I didn't see him show up in too many of those highlights.  That said...it's hard to pass on a 7 footer. Even if he's just a rim protector...thats all Vashil was for most of his time at Valpo.

VU2014

Quote from: M on March 22, 2018, 07:48:56 AM
I didn't see him show up in too many of those highlights.  That said...it's hard to pass on a 7 footer. Even if he's just a rim protector...thats all Vashil was for most of his time at Valpo.

Yeah all you can really take from those highlights is that he can catch a lob dunk. He doesn't seem to have as good of hops as Vashil. Vashil at that age was so raw.

vufan75

How about we get in the mix for this CPL 2018 recruit. Drake recruit but may be taking another look. Apparently Drake HC moving to Colorado State.

Per Roy Schmidt of IL Prep Hoops twitter today....
"It sounds as though Simeon's Messiah Jones may open up his recruitment now that Niko Medved has left for Colorado State although nothing is certain. He may do it to listen to what other schools have to offer, but Drake will remain in the picture as well."

https://verbalcommits.com/players/messiah-jones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

M

Looks like Grant Gelon reopened his recruitment as well. Not sure he was ever a target or in consideration, but he's a local kid.

VU2014

Quote from: vufan75 on March 22, 2018, 07:00:19 PM
How about we get in the mix for this CPL 2018 recruit. Drake recruit but may be taking another look. Apparently Drake HC moving to Colorado State.

Per Roy Schmidt of IL Prep Hoops twitter today....
"It sounds as though Simeon's Messiah Jones may open up his recruitment now that Niko Medved has left for Colorado State although nothing is certain. He may do it to listen to what other schools have to offer, but Drake will remain in the picture as well."

https://verbalcommits.com/players/messiah-jones

Would love to bring in Messiah Jones but he already signed his LOI so I'm not sure Drake would let him sign with another MVC team.

Quote from: M on March 23, 2018, 10:34:40 AM
Looks like Grant Gelon reopened his recruitment as well. Not sure he was ever a target or in consideration, but he's a local kid.

If Valpo wasn't showing interest after his transfer from IU, I'd doubt he'd end up here. He's a shooter which is always nice to have in bench depth. Did he sign his LOI with MSU? If he did then he might also be blocked from transferring to a MVC school.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 23, 2018, 10:58:39 AMWould love to bring in Messiah Jones but he already signed his LOI so I'm not sure Drake would let him sign with another MVC team.
I suppose technically if he has asked for a release (as this article implies Jones Decommits from Drake) from his NLI they could put on some restrictions, but I think there would be a backlash. Verbal Commits has also changed his status to Undecided.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Yeah I'm not sure we'd want to recruit him for that reason. He's a good player. Apparently he's still keeping Drake as a option but he's just going to reopen his recruitment. If Drake keeps 1 or 2 of their assistants maybe he decides to stay at Drake.

FWalum

I wonder if the Valpo coaching staff knows that top 20 prospect Keon Brooks is making an unofficial visit to the ARC today. Watching his brother in the LBAA tournament.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

Quote from: FWalum on March 23, 2018, 12:45:31 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 23, 2018, 10:58:39 AMWould love to bring in Messiah Jones but he already signed his LOI so I'm not sure Drake would let him sign with another MVC team.
I suppose technically if he has asked for a release (as this article implies Jones Decommits from Drake) from his NLI they could put on some restrictions, but I think there would be a backlash. Verbal Commits has also changed his status to Undecided.

Is he the second coming of Jesus Shuttlesworth? If he is like that guy, he must have game.

VU2014

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 25, 2018, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: FWalum on March 23, 2018, 12:45:31 PM

Is he the second coming of Jesus Shuttlesworth? If he is like that guy, he must have game.

I saw Simeon play twice this season and he seemed like a good player, not a standout but definitely lot's of potential and is a known commodity on the CPL circuit. Simeon is stacked with D1 talent so sometimes kids get overshadowed by the star players on the team THT (Iowa State commit), Xavier Pinson (Missouri commit, who was getting interest from Valpo this summer, but his recruitment blew up this Fall), etc. Example: Loyola's Donte Ingram played his HS ball at Simeon but was a pretty overlooked recruit.

Quote from: FWalum on March 25, 2018, 02:45:33 PM
I wonder if the Valpo coaching staff knows that top 20 prospect Keon Brooks is making an unofficial visit to the ARC today. Watching his brother in the LBAA tournament.

I'd assume so. I'd bet the Coaches hang around the LBAA tournament to network and be representatives for the program. There is absolutely no chance he comes to Valpo but definitely hope someone from the staff greets him and chats him up.

VULB#62

Hey, VU Fan Board, no reaction? 

FWALUM did you email Matt ahead of this?  Did anyone?

What can I do to from northern Wisconsin to make this connection happen? Uh, never mind.

Seriously, that's pretty cool.  We should be recruiting the younger brother, no?

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 25, 2018, 03:57:11 PM

Hey, VU Fan Board, no reaction? 

FWALUM did you email Matt ahead of this?  Did anyone?

What can I do to from northern Wisconsin to make this connection happen? Uh, never mind.

Seriously, that's pretty cool.  We should be recruiting the younger brother, no?

Maybe they're doing a little recruiting/scouting. Keion Brooks played in this tournament back in 2015 and was absolutely dominating kids from what I've heard.

Is it against NCAA rules to host tournaments at schools arenas? I thought I remember someone saying that. Maybe there is an exemption for the LBAA tournament because there is a religious component.

talksalot

The Rule is against High School kids participating, that part of the LBAA was dropped a few years ago.  All of the participants are now Middle Schoolers.

VU2014

North Pole Hoops just moved Daniel Sackey up to #16 in their Canadian recruiting class rankings.

https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/979119691682660352
https://twitter.com/Elias_NPH/status/979119944225968128