• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Another 2013 offer

Started by vu72, August 10, 2011, 10:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

I am not allowed to post links, but it looks like Valpo also offered 2013 player Lance Whitaker a scholarship as well.  (I just started looking at this again, sorry if somebody already mentioned it) 

valpopal

Quote from: SanityLost17 on August 10, 2011, 06:23:22 PM
I am not allowed to post links, but it looks like Valpo also offered 2013 player Lance Whitaker a scholarship as well.  (I just started looking at this again, sorry if somebody already mentioned it)  

Valpo did offer a scholarship to Whitaker last month:
http://hoopsillinois1.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=201:class-of-2013-bartlett-star-lance-whitaker-picks-up-a-scholarship-offer-from-valparaiso-university&catid=40:news&Itemid=64

However, I understand he tore his ACL about a week ago and will be undergoing surgery.

valpopal

We also have an offer out to Jermaine Myers of Culver Academy (2012), though I don't know why we would use a 2012 scholarship for a point guard. Indiana Recruiting Guide description:

Jermaine Myers: 6'0'' Point Guard, Culver Academy
Offers From: Ball State, Drake, Indiana State, Ohio, Valparaiso
Interest From: UNLV
Good floor general who led Culver Academy to the state title game this year. Very heady point guard who can also score it. He will be a very good mid-major point guard from the day he steps on campus.

vu72

This recruiting stuff is facinating.  We have a full roster for next year and really no one on that roster who could be considered "just a bench warmer", particualrly if Vuc makes strides to begin getting regular minutes.  I can't remember team with all the scholarship players having as much talent, at least on apaper.

So what do we do?  We offer a 2012 kid a scholarship.  What if he accepts?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on August 11, 2011, 01:16:38 PM
This recruiting stuff is facinating.  We have a full roster for next year and really no one on that roster who could be considered "just a bench warmer", particualrly if Vuc makes strides to begin getting regular minutes.  I can't remember team with all the scholarship players having as much talent, at least on apaper.

Good question.
I would take any 2012 recruiting rumors with much less than a grain of salt until we know of some development that has actually created an opening. Until then I have no great desire to change the 2012-2013 roster. As it now stands we might very well walk into the 12-13 season as the Horizon League team to beat.

There it is, and since I have been the first to say it ; you can all now take turns calling me crazy.

rlh

I've mentioned this before, but having interest in a player and actually offering him a scholarship is not exactly the same thing.  Sometimes these kids, or their parents say a school offered, when in actuality they only showed an interest.  I don't know which it is on some of these guys, but be aware that not all of them have actually been "offered"....

valpotx

I played with people in HS who said schools had an interest, when they only received an academic pamphlet from the school.  It was their parents way of hopefully drawing more interest from other schools.
"Don't mess with Texas"

cmack

We have a full roster for next year and really no one on that roster who could be considered "just a bench warmer", particualrly if Vuc makes strides to begin getting regular minutes.  I can't remember team with all the scholarship players having as much talent, at least on apaper.

I see 2 bench warmers, both in the vicinity of 7ft.  Height does not equal talent as much as we all like to believe here.

zvillehaze

Unless Witt isn't on the '11-'12 roster, his scholarship will be available for a 2012 recruit.  Hard to make that call until we see how Bryce fixes the scholarship situation for this year.

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 11, 2011, 09:28:35 PM

Unless Witt isn't on the '11-'12 roster, his scholarship will be available for a 2012 recruit.  Hard to make that call until we see how Bryce fixes the scholarship situation for this year.

If I'm not mistaken, that scholarship is taken by Bobby Capobianco.

historyman

Has anyone seen Cameron Witt on campus?

I don't remember seeing him with the other players when I was there.

Although Kevin Van Wijk did say that Witt will be helpful to him this next season.

By the way, I just remembered that Kevin said he was getting treatments for his back in Crown Point and he thought that he would be playing more like 30 minutes per game this year and that so far the back had not been a problem during open gym.

Sorry, I had been thinking too much about the Nigerian and the skills he displayed.

Johnson was playing with the guys then and was getting ready to leave for Holland.

I got some kind of sense that Kevin really could care less about Cory playing in Holland.

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on August 12, 2011, 06:58:01 AM

If I'm not mistaken, that scholarship is taken by Bobby Capobianco.

Won't both Witt and Capobianco be on scholarship this year?

justducky

I kind of hate to side with Zville on anything but since we all know where he is going with this let me point out that the date is august 12, school will resume shortly, and the answer to this mystery needs to be reveiled.

hoopfan22

Witt's not going to  be on the team this season.

justducky

Quote from: hoopfan22 on August 12, 2011, 07:49:05 PM
Witt's not going to  be on the team this season.
Not on the team or not on scholarship? If neither then is he staying at Valpo to complete his education? Of course, I will not be able to believe any of these answers until I see an official announcement but thank you anyhow-I think.

zvillehaze

Quote from: justducky on August 12, 2011, 07:06:05 PM
I kind of hate to side with Zville on anything but since we all know where he is going with this let me point out that the date is august 12, school will resume shortly, and the answer to this mystery needs to be reveiled.

Thanks for the love, Ducky.  8)  Sorry that agreeing with me causes you pain. 

I guess my real point is that discussing the scholarship situation for '12-'13 is premature until the roster/scholarship situation for '11-'12 is finalized.  Trust me ... I'm not trying to stir anything up or trigger speculation.  It's probably best to just sit back and wait for official announcements.

milanmiracle

Quote from: cmack on August 11, 2011, 09:02:34 PM
We have a full roster for next year and really no one on that roster who could be considered "just a bench warmer", particualrly if Vuc makes strides to begin getting regular minutes.  I can't remember team with all the scholarship players having as much talent, at least on apaper.

I see 2 bench warmers, both in the vicinity of 7ft.  Height does not equal talent as much as we all like to believe here.

I can think of another, maybe they didn't play last year?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 12, 2011, 11:17:38 PM
Quote from: justducky on August 12, 2011, 07:06:05 PM

Thanks for the love, Ducky.  8)  Sorry that agreeing with me causes you pain. 

I guess my real point is that discussing the scholarship situation for '12-'13 is premature until the roster/scholarship situation for '11-'12 is finalized.  Trust me ... I'm not trying to stir anything up or trigger speculation.  It's probably best to just sit back and wait for official announcements.

Didn't we get one of the best players in VU Basketball history at the last moment, when he showed up just prior to school starting?  I'm sure they had to rewicker the scholarships that year as well.

valpopal

Here is another 2012 recruit who, according to Indiana Recruiting Guide, has an offer from Valpo:

"Elijah Ray: 6'6'' Power Forward, Bowman Academy
I really like this kid. He is a very strong body but is also a good athlete. Ray is probably one of the best rebounders left on the board, so any low or mid-major in need of rebounding help, don't let the 6'6'' frame scare you and get after him. He is a top level student as well, showcased by the interest he is receiving from schools like Harvard, UC-Irvine, and Illinois. His only offers are from Indiana State and Valparaiso."

http://indianarecruitguide.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-un-committed-seniors-to-be.html

valpofan56

Quote from: valpopal on August 14, 2011, 09:01:56 PM
Here is another 2012 recruit who, according to Indiana Recruiting Guide, has an offer from Valpo:

"Elijah Ray: 6'6'' Power Forward, Bowman Academy
I really like this kid. He is a very strong body but is also a good athlete. Ray is probably one of the best rebounders left on the board, so any low or mid-major in need of rebounding help, don't let the 6'6'' frame scare you and get after him. He is a top level student as well, showcased by the interest he is receiving from schools like Harvard, UC-Irvine, and Illinois. His only offers are from Indiana State and Valparaiso."

http://indianarecruitguide.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-un-committed-seniors-to-be.html

Would he happen to be Rashida Ray's brother?

historyman

Quote from: valpofan56 on August 14, 2011, 10:58:59 PM

Would he happen to be Rashida Ray's brother?

According to the Valpo Athletics website Rashida is from Fort Wayne.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/roster/2010-11/3962/rashida-ray/

#3 - Rashida Ray

2010-11 Women's Basketball
POS.  G
HT.  5-3
YR.  Sr.
HOMETOWN  Fort Wayne, Ind.
HIGH SCHOOL (PREV. SCHOOL)  Harding
Rashida is the daughter of Jonathan and Rhonda Ray

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/article_d8bf759e-3190-531e-ab7a-885325bc0c9d.html

GARY | When Elijah Ray was a lad, his father, William, was always talking to him about sports. Gently nudging his son, Mr. Ray talked about the glories of our American pastime.

You see, William Ray was a standout baseball player at Roosevelt back in the day.

I also noted that Valpo was "showing interest" in Harry Willis a point guard from Ben Davis

Harry Willis: 6'2'' Point Guard, Ben Davis H.S.
He holds an offer from Mississippi Valley State (Division I) and Indianapolis (Division II). Valparaiso has also shown interest. I like him at the low DI level, his athleticism allows him to create for himself off the dribble and he has the potential to be a very good defender at the next level.

lowposter

Elijah Ray would be a good compliment to the program...local talent, obviously a good student, BIG BODY, and pretty good player.  Let's hope he stays in the Region.

lowposter

lowposter

Loyola seems to be picking up the recruiting in Indiana.  Osborne from Muncie is committed with Ballentine from Kokomo interested.  Does the new coach have Indiana roots?

milanmiracle

Quote from: lowposter on August 15, 2011, 03:34:44 PM
Loyola seems to be picking up the recruiting in Indiana.  Osborne from Muncie is committed with Ballentine from Kokomo interested.  Does the new coach have Indiana roots?

Not that I am aware of, but he did hire Jason Gardner who is from Indianapolis. Recruiting Indiana just makes him a smart coach.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado