• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPEven

Quote from: VU2624 on January 15, 2017, 10:52:11 AMAt this point, the best guess is this is a non Valpo holdup. The Honor Council, if involved, would have met and issued their decision by this time. So while it's convenient to blame the Honor Council because....well we have to blame someone....I'm not sure that blame it appropriately place. Fact is, none of us know what the actual situation is and we are unlikely to ever find out what it is.

Without every having been involved with the honor council, i'd have to agree.  In addition to the length, I think it would be impossible to keep the proceedings quiet.  If it were internal with the HC, someone on campus would know something, and it seems like no one really does, at least with regards to consequences.

wh

Quote from: VU2624 on January 16, 2017, 11:21:33 AM
Quote from: wh on January 16, 2017, 05:21:10 AMI think we need to consider the possibility that the Council had already decided Jubril's fate in early December, when we first became aware that he had been suspended. In other words, rather than currently being suspended from the team while awaiting his "sentence," maybe his suspension is part of his sentence. Tonight will be the 10th game since Jubril last played. Just pure conjecture, but IF he received a 10-game suspension as part of his "sentence," this whole issue could be almost over.

I'm not sure the Honor Council would be in the business of issuing sports suspensions. My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that they act on academics...a failing grade, suspended scholastically for a semester, expulsion. How the Basketball program would react may be more the answer. Maybe the Basketball program has, for instance, a 5 game suspension per HC violation and he had 2 HC dings.

All this is speculation though and we'll probably never find out what the deal really is.

Apparently I should have provided more clarity. Suspending Jubril from the team would, of course, be an Athletic Department decision, not an Honor Council decision. The point was that we have been operating under the assumption that Jubril was suspended pending resolution of cheating allegations, while, in fact, the issue may have been completely resolved before Jubril sat out his first game.

JPEven

Quote from: valpotx on January 16, 2017, 01:47:07 PMI hate saying it, but this Jubril absence has really developed our future big men.  Smits and Sorolla would not be anywhere near what they are now, without the last 9 games.

The Jubril suspension was definitely the best thing that could have happened to Smirolla and the 2017-2018 team, apart from landing a point guard transfer mid season

justducky

Quote from: JPEven on January 16, 2017, 02:42:01 PMThe Jubril suspension was definitely the best thing that could have happened to Smirolla and the 2017-2018 team,
Yup! We traded a slightly used Smits and a "like new" Sorolla for two brand new Smirollas with all the bells and whistles. You can't say no to a deal like that.  :thumbsup:

VU75

Quote from: VUSL98 on January 15, 2017, 02:52:26 PMThe Valparaiso basketball team site indicates that Jubril graduated after his junior year and is pursuing a master's degree.

Which might be the simplest explanation why Max Joseph  is back and Adekoya isn't.   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU75 on January 16, 2017, 05:35:53 PM
Quote from: VUSL98 on January 15, 2017, 02:52:26 PMThe Valparaiso basketball team site indicates that Jubril graduated after his junior year and is pursuing a master's degree.

Elaborate on your logic please.

Which might be the simplest explanation why Max Joseph  is back and Adekoya isn't.

SanityLost17

Quote from: justducky on January 16, 2017, 03:08:45 PM
Quote from: JPEven on January 16, 2017, 02:42:01 PMThe Jubril suspension was definitely the best thing that could have happened to Smirolla and the 2017-2018 team,
Yup! We traded a slightly used Smits and a "like new" Sorolla for two brand new Smirollas with all the bells and whistles. You can't say no to a deal like that.  :thumbsup:

All very true.   But we are going to need all 3 of them for me to feel comfortable about winning the conference tournament.  And I don't think we can win an NCAA tournament game without Jubril (unless we get a very favorable matchup).  Also, a rusty Jubril will not do.  He needs at least 6-8 games to shake off the rust.   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 16, 2017, 05:38:48 PM

Elaborate on your logic please.

I probably should have elaborated.  Are we assuming or do we know that the Honor Council applies to Masters Level students?

Also, can we assume that in his masters program a failed course is treated any differently?  We made mention that a Sophomore failing due to HC puts their GPA at risk.  Can the same be said about a first semester Masters Level student?

Does anyone recall the HC literature making mention of non-undergraduates?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 16, 2017, 05:53:43 PMDoes anyone recall the HC literature making mention of non-undergraduates?

Don't have a definitive answer.  I did find this in the Honor Code Constitution:

All academic work completed and submitted for credit in any form by a student while enrolled at
Valparaiso University shall be governed by the Honor System as it is defined in the Constitution.

"by a student" would seem to include everyone.  The Law School does have an Honor Code and as you might expect, the rules and interpretations cover about 10 pages.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Odd set of tweets by PO, Jubril and AP.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 09:28:36 PM
Odd set of tweets by PO, Jubril and AP.

What did Alec say? Didn't see that.

valpolaw

Can you post the tweets here? Didn't see them.

M

IDK how to do that. Just look up PO and find that tweet. Sorry 😕

I do find it very hard to believe that Jubril doesn't know what a "university matter" means in his case.

VUBBFan

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 10:04:14 PMIDK how to do that. Just look up PO and find that tweet. Sorry 😕 I do find it very hard to believe that Jubril doesn't know what a "university matter" means in his case.

The tweet from PO has disappeared. I saw where Jubril tweeted "me neither" but nothing from Peters. Then it just went away.

VU2624

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 16, 2017, 05:53:43 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 16, 2017, 05:38:48 PM
Elaborate on your logic please. Which might be the simplest explanation why Max Joseph  is back and Adekoya isn't.
I probably should have elaborated.  Are we assuming or do we know that the Honor Council applies to Masters Level students? Also, can we assume that in his masters program a failed course is treated any differently?  We made mention that a Sophomore failing due to HC puts their GPA at risk.  Can the same be said about a first semester Masters Level student? Does anyone recall the HC literature making mention of non-undergraduates?

HC applies to all students including graduate students who have their own honor council. Penalties are similar in order of offense 1st failure in course, 2nd failure in course and semester suspension, 3rd failure in course and expulsion. The one interesting issue which could be at play is multiple simultaneous violations. This would be if said team manager was writing papers for the player in multiple course. That situation is not really addressed.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpotx on January 16, 2017, 01:47:07 PM
I hate saying it, but this Jubril absence has really developed our future big men.  Smits and Sorolla would not be anywhere near what they are now, without the last 9 games.
Now if they could learn how to make bunnies!

NativeCheesehead

I mean, it's not difficult. Place male rabbit with female rabbit. Wait.

Kyle321n

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 16, 2017, 10:18:30 PM

Quote from: M on January 16, 2017, 10:04:14 PMIDK how to do that. Just look up PO and find that tweet. Sorry 😕 I do find it very hard to believe that Jubril doesn't know what a "university matter" means in his case.

The tweet from PO has disappeared. I saw where Jubril tweeted "me neither" but nothing from Peters. Then it just went away.

On the internet nothing truly disappears.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpolaw

This whole Jubril situation keeps getting stranger by the day. 

VU2014

This whole situation is really weird. Interesting that Jubril slightly addressed it and Alec backed him up.

Maybe we need to reevaluate this whole thing. Maybe it's not a Honor Council thing. I'm still willing to say it is and the 'Honor Council' is the same old slow moving process it use to be.

As for the Athletic Department, Team and Coaching Staff good on them for not leaking anything for not addressing it all for limiting any potential PR backlash, but damn do I really want to know what the heck is going on and I'm sure Jubril and his teammates want an explanation more then all of us die-hard fas.

It's really not cool that the University or potentially the 'honor council' isn't keeping Jubril in the loop on his own case, especially when your as high profile a student as being on the basketball team and causing speculation.

covufan

The tweets don't bother me...yet. 

Is Jubril still actively involved with the team?  Was he on bench for the Green Bay game?

wh

Quote from: covufan on January 17, 2017, 01:24:37 PM
The tweets don't bother me...yet. 

Is Jubril still actively involved with the team?  Was he on bench for the Green Bay game?

He was on the bench in street clothes, as usual.

Like someone posted earlier, they can't do anything for Jubril that they wouldn't be willing to do for any other student in the same predicament.  Apparently then, students accused of violating the honor code have no right to or expectation of a speedy resolution, to know where the matter stands, or when it will be resolved. Why do I picture a group of sanctimonious people lording over this process, who when asked why are you taking so long to resolve this, respond with a wry, dismissive, "Because we can."   

VU2014

QuoteIs Jubril still actively involved with the team?  Was he on bench for the Green Bay game?

Coach Gore last week publicly credited Jubril and Chandler Levingston Simon for the development of either Jay or Derrik developing moves. Jubril has been at every home game and the UIC game (he wasn't on the team bus though) on the bench in Valpo gear sweats. So he's actively participating in practice and still from sounds of it doing a very good job of embracing the senior mentoring role. Coach Gore publicly backed him and gave him a shout out.

Sounds like a bureaucratic 'honor council' logjam. I'm not just saying this as a fan but as an alumni it's not cool to see the honor council or whoever is "ruling" on this kicking their feet and leaving Jubril out of the loop. Someone needs to get their @ss into gear and show some level of professionalism to at least inform him. I'm pretty disappointed in the University if this is on their end (and considering its been stated as a "university matter" its not on the NCAA).

Don't give any athletes special treatment, but don't leave him (student) not knowing his status. It's been a month and a half.

JPEven

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2017, 01:43:57 PMWhy do I picture a group of sanctimonious people lording over this process, who when asked why are you taking so long to resolve this, respond with a wry, dismissive, "Because we can."

I can see the kind of guy that wants to be a student on the honor council also being the kind of guy that didn't make the basketball team his freshman year of high school...