• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

What a difference a year makes. Last year, Oregon State faced Houston and played them close in Elite 8 and lost by 6. This year they are 3-23 but lost to USC in 2ot last night. totally insane.
That being said, I would take the Beavs over Valpo this year.

usc4valpo

Big matchup as USC faces Duckzilla late tonight.

usc4valpo

The conference of champions is tougher than what the rankings geeks are showing. Oregon and Colorado are making a case to get a bid for the tournament. I would also take the top 3 PAC 12 teams - Arizona, USC and UCLA - over any top 3 of any conference.

Huge win for USC against Duckzilla last night as they get ready to face Zona on Tuesday.

usc4valpo

HUGE game tonight! Zona visits USC

vu84v2

Oregon's problem is that they have lost really bad several times: Arizona State by 24, BYU by 32, Cal by 14. Colorado is a better bet than Oregon, especially after beating Arizona.

usc4valpo

Arizona is awesome and definitely a team that can win it all. Beautifully coached. USC is not there yet.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 01, 2022, 04:01:07 PMOregon's problem is that they have lost really bad several times: Arizona State by 24, BYU by 32, Cal by 14. Colorado is a better bet than Oregon, especially after beating Arizona.
First look at Lunardi for me...it's a waste before now...has Oregon one of last four out and Colorado nowhere to be seen.

As an aside, he currently has Loyola on the same line as Oregon. He's got NI as the winner in the MVC tourney and one bid.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 02, 2022, 09:07:29 AMArizona is awesome and definitely a team that can win it all. Beautifully coached. USC is not there yet.
Arizona has a great team and is definitely one of the teams who could take it all. Problem is, there may be nearly a dozen who can rightfully make that claim.

usc4valpo

Agreed. This year is a free for all.

vu84v2

Oregon losing by 14 late at Washington (who is a .500 team). There are few teams as inconsistent as Oregon.

I thought Colorado had a good shot at the tournament, but I did not look at their NET (which is 75). Pac 12 will be a three bid conference...with three really strong teams getting those bids. Any of those three could make the Final 4.

usc4valpo

The conference of champions finale between Arizona and UCLA was outstanding. So much talent and tempo and defense! I was not sure if Arizona was a serious final four contender, well I stand corrected.

valpo95

OK, so before the bracket is released, I'll put out my proposal for at large bids.

To get an at large bid, a team needs to meet at least one of the three criteria:

1) Be in the top 25 of the USA/Coaches or AP Poll.
2) Have a 0.500 record in conference play.
3) Make it to the conference tournament championship game, not necessarily win the title game.

In practice, this would mean a team like Michigan is eligible for an at-large bid, Texas A&M is also eligible, yet Indiana is not. It would reward good play in the conference season, and reward teams making a run to the conference tourney.

valpopal

A few quick bracket notes:

Murray State (7) receives a better seed than Loyola (10). Despite winning the Horizon League tourney, Wright State receives no respect and gets a 16 seed, so is placed in a First Four play-in game; however, if they win that match, they are guaranteed two shares for the HL. Teams Valparaiso fans can cheer other than Loyola for MVC tournament shares and Murray State as bringing prestige to the MVC: Gonzaga (Roger Powell), Baylor (Scott Drew), Ohio State (Jake Diebler), and Boise State (Lexus Williams). Just three Indiana teams this year: Purdue, Notre Dame, and Indiana (the last two as part of First Four play-in games). Teams from which Valpo players transferred: Wisconsin (3), Seton Hall (7), and Michigan State (8). None of the Valpo players who transferred elsewhere are dancing. 

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on March 13, 2022, 06:18:32 PM
A few quick bracket notes:

Murray State (7) receives a better seed than Loyola (10). Despite winning the Horizon League tourney, Wright State receives no respect and gets a 16 seed, so is placed in a First Four play-in game; however, if they win that match, they are guaranteed two shares for the HL. Teams Valparaiso fans can cheer other than Loyola for MVC tournament shares and Murray State as bringing prestige to the MVC: Gonzaga (Roger Powell), Baylor (Scott Drew), Ohio State (Jake Diebler), and Boise State (Lexus Williams). Just three Indiana teams this year: Purdue, Notre Dame, and Indiana (the last two as part of First Four play-in games). Teams from which Valpo players transferred: Wisconsin (3), Seton Hall (7), and Michigan State (8). None of the Valpo players who transferred elsewhere are dancing.

Additional NIT notes, games to watch:

Interesting match-ups include Belmont vs Vanderbilt, UNI vs St. Louis, and Missouri State vs Oklahoma (with Porter Moser); unfortunately, Vanderbilt, St. Louis, and Oklahoma all get home court advantage.

Valpofamfan

On the women's side I'm surprised Drake got a WNIT bid; they have been very hot and cold this season. BUT it does show the importance of playing well in the nonconference... we shot ourselves in the foot

usc4valpo

Too many truck stop schools in the tournament

valpo95

Just a few notes relative to conference performance so far in the tournament as of the round of 32 (not all, just a sample. I did this pretty fast, so maybe I missed one or two).

Conference  Teams In  Teams Remaining  Record So Far
Big 10          9             6                         7-3
Big 12          6             6                         6-0
ACC             5             4                         5-1
Big East        6            3                         3-3
SEC              6            3                         3-3
PAC 12         3             2                        2-1
MWC            4             0                        0-4

I like to look at the performance at the round of 32 stage - after that, things get much more difficult as teams end up playing the very top teams: For example, teams run into an Arizona or Gonzaga, and most teams will struggle against them so hard to pin that on the conference. Notably, the Big East, SEC and MWC have substantially underperformed. The Big 12, Big 10 and ACC have performed well.