• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #11 Valpo @ Stetson 11/17 Noon

Started by VULB#62, November 11, 2018, 01:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Butler brought Stetson down to earth 28-23 yesterday.  So we close out our season in Deland, FL hoping for a win against another Florida team.  A win means we go .500 over the last six games of the season.  A win might also break up the four team log jam for 6th place in the PFL standings.  All four are in actioon:

Butler @ Davidson - Can Butler stop an offense that ran up almost 800 rushing yards against USD?  I'm thinking Davidson
Drake @ Morehead - Drake D v. Morehead O.  Drake D too strong.
Valpo @ Stetson - Can we duplicate the win we got last season?  Well, thatr's the reason for this string.  If Butler can do it in tropical Indianapolis, why not!

So if we win, there will be a two-way tie for 6th between Valpo and either Butler of Davidson.

BTW, got to hand it to Davidson (at least on O). 789 rushing yds against USD is absolutely  incredible. Too bad they can't stop anyone in the PFL. 

usc4valpo

Davidson is the best thing happening in the Pioneer league this year! Very entertaining and piling up great offensive numbers

JD24

Davidson should be frightening to teams such as Valpo. Just an small incremental improvement with their defense will result in many wins. No one is stopping that offense. San Diego will always have the horses to beat them even if they have to do what they did yesterday....which also was unbelievable. The rest of the PFL including Drake and Dayton should be trembling at having to face that offense year after year. This occurred in year 1 of that offense. Imagine where it will be in a couple of years.

VULB#62

Here is the link to the weekly write-up and 2-Deep. 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2018-19/18624/football-attempts-to-finish-on-high-note-at-stetson/

And here is the weekly chat with Todd:  Appears like Jean Rene is out  this week with an injury. It was a fairly short chat with only about 1:30 reserved for talking about Stetson. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DrBsEqZUc

JD24

For whatever reason, it seems as if Valpo Football Weekly has gone from about 8 mins as in past years to around 5 mins this year with the focus being more the previous week's game with only a few comments about the upcoming game.

Jean Rene didn't play last week either.

VULB#62

We get Drew back it appears. He is listed as a starter at ILB.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 11, 2018, 01:04:14 PMIf Butler can do it (ib tropical Indianapolis, why not!

I spit my drink halfway across the room when I read this.   :o

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2018, 03:59:04 PMWe get Drew back it appears.

I almost spit my next sip across the room when I read this until I realized it was a football thread. I thought why had Vandy given up on Bryce so quickly?   ;D

JD24

Mid 70's weather on Saturday. Those close enough to drive to their homes for the break can do so right after the game rather than flying back with the team.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 14, 2018, 03:59:04 PM
We get Drew back it appears. He is listed as a starter at ILB.

Oh, oh.  Probably not according to this.  I snipped it from the Valpo FB Alum newsletter that Dave sends out every two weeks.

Sophomore linebacker Gavin Twigg forced a fumble that senior linebacker Drew Snouffer returned 50 yards for a touchdown to cut Marist's lead to 28-17. Snouffer would also tally 11 tackles, a tackle for loss, and a quarterback hurry. Unfortunately, Drew was unable to finish the game as he suffered a concussion in the fourth quarter. He did not play this past weekend against Jacksonville and is unlikely to be cleared for the season finale against Stetson. This is an unfortunate ending to not only a strong senior campaign, but a great career.

JD24

We're even getting the backups on the call vs. Stetson. Todd and Brandon have been dispatched to covering one of the minor sports.

Valpo win 27-26

Deets

Nice to see that the starting O Line is being benched every third offensive possession.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  It is such a nice way to treat your senior All Conference Player and other seniors who have been true leaders showed up for EVERY game you for years...and now our customary give back with about 2 minutes in the half.  We have lost at least 4 games this year for this very reason.  Our starting line is pulled and our offense goes three and out with a couple minutes in the half.  This one is also on the coaches who seem hell bent on killing any chance we have with ridiculous game-changing substitutions.

Deets

And another penalty on the player replacing  all Conference Lineman Tom Schofield (who has been penalty free in four years of starting).   Another winnable game that the coaches chose to lose.

JD24

Couching the OL reps as replacing the entire OL is simply wrong. It appears that Jarnagin and Talifierro play all available snaps and that the other 3 starters are substituted for on occasion but typically not all at the same time. On the last drive of the half Valpo was using a 6 man line to run the wildcat and the only starter not in the game was Schofield.

If there is an issue with the substitution pattern a simple question as to why it exists to the coaches....and a choice can be made amongst coaches Cecchini, Miran and Giacalone....from the player or perhaps parent would probably be answered. The answer may not be what either wanted to hear but it would be answered. I've found all three coaches willing to do so without an evasive answer.

JD24

Deets

Talifierro is subbed even more than others on the line.  He split time mostly in half with Roberts.   Rentschler spent a lot of time watching from the sidelines as well.  Lundberg in and out.  Schofield taken out every third or fourth set of downs all season.  Most of the time Talifierro, Rentschler and Schofield were subbed out at the same time,  and usually after successful scoring drives.  It made no sense, and it continued all season long.  Our starting line scored all 17 points in the first half.  Defense gets the other.  Same pattern all season long.  Well, I guess they had their reasons, most of us just agree that it was almost like this season was sacrificed for next year.  We'll see if it was worth it.

usc4valpo

It will be interesting to see what reported lessons came out of this season. We definitely took a step back, but perhaps and hopefully it is a bump on the road toward prolonged success.

78crusader

To me the season boiled down to this: The lingering shoulder injury greatly reduced Seewald's effectiveness at QB. The losses to Duquesne and Truman State set the tone for the season.  The homecoming loss (to what turned out to be a very good and underrated Davidson team) basically eliminated our chances of a turnaround.  Getting a first week bye did us no favors since we did not have a week off once the season started to recover from injuries. 

Paul