• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Murray State > Valpo

Started by AlecPeters101, March 09, 2019, 02:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 22, 2019, 07:13:10 AMJa Mont is a baller, in the "higher" leagues,  every team has a Ja Mont.

Yes and no.  This guy could be the second pick overall. I can't think of an equivalent point guard talent even with his turnover flaws. This is the kind of guy every NBA GM wants. Boatloads of money and players might change hands to obtain his draft rights.

M

Careful wanting to bring in a team who is about to lose an NBA talent....

I'd take um though.

RacerJoeD

Expansion should never be about a single player or year. That is why I dont worry about Murray State if expansion were to happen. Also why Valpo to the MVC was and is the right call, despite the first couple years. Its like buying stock. Short positions vs long positions. Losing Ja Morant makes Murray State short positions look worse than they probably are. Knowing that Ja is another great player in a line of great players at his position that includes a lottery pick, a 2nd rounder, and a G Leaguer makes the long position for Murray State far more positive

bbtds

Quote from: RacerJoeD on March 22, 2019, 02:36:21 PMAlso why Valpo to the MVC was and is the right call, despite the first couple years.

Thank you. Finally someone who is not freaking out and making Valpo out to be a lost cause because they must air out all their frustrations. And they are a fan of another school.

JD24

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 22, 2019, 07:13:10 AMJa Mont is a baller, in the "higher" leagues,  every team has a Ja Mont. So now instead of getting one with a bunch of role players, you need two, three, or four to be winning. 
Every team has a top 5 (at least) player on their roster?

Brooklyndodger

New BB court?  Look at Purdue, IU, Butlet. & Notre DAME. THEY ARE PROBALY ALL OVER THIRTY YEARS OLD.
THEY CAN DRAW CROWDS.

Bruce Lindner, Casey Schmidt,Dave Rodman, Bryce Drew, Sam Hanpau, Alec Peters all could shoot the ball and were on court leaders. We don't have anything comparable. Get a player like those and the people will come. No way to fill a 10,000 seat station with the talent they are recruiting

crusadermoe

I think you can't overlook the linkage of those first 3 players to the Valpo community since all three went to Valpo High.  Maybe they also had alpha male personalities too.  Bryce seemed not.  Maybe Casey did.

As we all know, Indiana is a HS hoops crazy state.  Those kids are idolized by younger ones and especially when the adults swoon at winning high school teams.   It's a very odd thing that sounds like Texas HS football. 

That VHS linkage doesn't apply to Alec and Sam.  But from what I have read on the board, Rowdy was the one who brought charisma and student likability to the campus. That gets contagious.

JD24

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 29, 2019, 04:01:12 PMI think you can't overlook the linkage of those first 3 players to the Valpo community since all three went to Valpo High.  Maybe they also had alpha male personalities too.  Bryce seemed not.  Maybe Casey did. As we all know, Indiana is a HS hoops crazy state.  Those kids are idolized by younger ones and especially when the adults swoon at winning high school teams.   It's a very odd thing that sounds like Texas HS football. That VHS linkage doesn't apply to Alec and Sam.  But from what I have read on the board, Rowdy was the one who brought charisma and student likability to the campus. That gets contagious.
Vashil wasn't exactly from the neighborhood but he endeared himself to the community. He is a great guy and it came through loud and clear whether from afar or having a conversation with him.

crusader05

It is true about both Vashil and Rowdy. The willingness to embrace the student body and the student body's response was so much more intense than anything the Peters era teams ever got.

I think it's actually a pretty good model of how a team can pull the student body to see them and become connected to the community. It's too bad that pattern seemed to die after Vashil left and the team stopped going into the stands or being willing to put themselves out there as much.

FWalum

Quote from: Brooklyndodger on March 23, 2019, 07:38:06 PMNew BB court?  Look at Purdue, IU, Butlet. & Notre DAME. THEY ARE PROBALY ALL OVER THIRTY YEARS OLD.
THEY CAN DRAW CROWDS.
Both Mackey and Hinkel have been extensively renovated this decade.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteNew BB court?  Look at Purdue, IU, Butlet. & Notre DAME. THEY ARE PROBALY ALL OVER THIRTY YEARS OLD.
THEY CAN DRAW CROWDS.
Both Mackey and Hinkel have been extensively renovated this decade.

Yeah, actually ALL FOUR of those facilities mentioned have undergone massive renovations within the past decade.

Purcell Pavilion at ND - $27M renovation debuted in 2012 and that doesn't include new practice/training facilities that were part of the $400M football stadium renovations a few years later

Assembly Hall - $50M renovation debuted in 2017

VUGrad1314

They have a larger more well heeled alumni base that cares much more about athletics and the same is true for their endowments and administrations. IU and Purdue also have the advantage of getting State funds. Perspective is important here.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2019, 10:20:22 AM
They have a larger more well heeled alumni base that cares much more about athletics and the same is true for their endowments and administrations. IU and Purdue also have the advantage of getting State funds. Perspective is important here.
Exactly, not sure why Brooklyndodger even mentioned IU, Purdue and Notre Dame.  The only school that could be even close to an apples to apples comparison was Butler and we all know about the big reno of Hinkle.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: RacerJoeD on March 11, 2019, 02:25:02 PMAlso, Murray is in the #82 ranked media market, one shared with SIU. This market is larger than Evansville, Missouri State, and Northern Iowa.

I've spent some time in the Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Carbondale/Harrisburg,IL media market. KFVS Cape Girardeau being the biggest TV station but also including Carbondale WSIU PBS, Channel 6 NBC Paducah, Channel 3 WSIL ABC Harrisburg. I believe there is a Fox station in Cape now. I used to laugh when the Paducah station used to sign off the air around 1:00 a.m. and announce nightly that the transmitter was in Monkey's Eyebrow, KY.