• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

Apologies if this has been posted in another thread but according to a survey that was just emailed out, the finalists appear to be:

Storm
Beacons
Gold
Sparks
Lightning
Tempest
Dunehawks
Lightning Hawks

Personally not a huge fan of any of them (why wasn't Knights an option? Seemed too logical). But the last two "hawk" nicknames sound like minor league baseball teams. Like we've tried too hard to be unique. And what is a "lightning hawk" anyway? I guess I'd reluctantly prefer one of the first six.
#CrusadersForever

M

I like Storm and Dunehawk best out of the list. A few others are fine.  Whatever, it doesn't matter to me lets just rip the bandaid all the way off and pick one.

humbleopinion

I wonder why they went with the plural "Beacons" rather than "Beacon."  I've always had an affinity for singular team names (e.g. Utah Jazz or Oklahoma Thunder).

"Sparks" sounds diminutive to me...
Beamin' Beacons

vu84v2

Quote from: valpotx on June 09, 2021, 05:33:32 PM
Quote from: vu72 on June 09, 2021, 11:15:40 AM
Our former player, Sigurd Lorange, ended up playing for the Converse Valkyries.  The Valpo Valkyries has a nice ring to it till it is discovered that Valkyries were Norse gods who decided who lived or dies in battle.  Not a good look!

Yeah, I wonder what the new Men's team at Converse think of the nickname.  I would fully support the name for the Women's teams, but I would not want to play for the Valkyries as a man :)

Men don't seem to have a problem playing for the Blue Hens of Delaware.

mp91

Gold, Sparks, and Beacons are all pretty lame

vuny98

Favorite: Gold

Ok: Dunehawks, Storm, Lightning

Hate: Beacons, Tempest, Lightning Hawks, Sparks

Gold isn't super exciting on its own, but it does some things really well. Plays into tradition, is very unique to the university, ability to pair easily with the shield logo, and most importantly isn't kitschy/polarizing/lame. I personally think the simplicity of the name actually makes it really cool. Some of the others seem like they are trying too hard to be unique and cool.

I am personally very happy none of these went the popcorn route, although I know some on this board really liked that approach.

valpopal

Valparaiso Gold sounds like Acapulco Gold and could cause a high state of confusion at concession stands or in the gift shop at the Harre Union!  ;)

vu84v2

This has some interesting parallels to Marquette's history.

1954-1993: Warriors.

1994: Name changed to Golden Eagles, which beat out Lightning in a vote of the student body.

2005: Administration and board of trustees decided to change the name to Gold. This resulted in Marquette stakeholders (students, alumni, fans) strongly rejecting Gold, which then lead to a reconsideration and new vote. With input from the vote, the decision was made to stay with Golden Eagles.

valpopal

valpopal

Precedent for the name Dunehawk:

valpotx

The Mascot Committee needs to be fired.  Terrible names, and all require a complete rebrand of all logos associated with the Athletics program.  What a waste of money...
"Don't mess with Texas"

mp91

Quote from: valpotx on June 10, 2021, 12:51:02 PM
The Mascot Committee needs to be fired.  Terrible names, and all require a complete rebrand of all logos associated with the Athletics program.  What a waste of money...

There are definitely some poor names, that's a valid criticism. But, just about any new name was going to require a rebrand of logos (except for Golden Knights which was never going to happen and is also extremely boring)... So, criticizing them for logos is a bit unfair. Anyone that thought we were going to keep the Knight logo was just being naïve

IndyValpo

I can only assume Tempest was chosen because it is so bad anything else looks good. We have had months of suggestions but this is easily the worst.

I think Gold is bad as well not wild about Sparks. There are Hawks, Red Hawks,Fighting Hawks, Mountain Hawks, War Hawks, Skyhawks and Jayhawks in D1 why not a Dunehawk? Beacons, Lightning and Storm would be unique to D1

valpopal

Quote from: mp91 on June 10, 2021, 01:00:35 PM

There are definitely some poor names, that's a valid criticism. But, just about any new name was going to require a rebrand of logos (except for Golden Knights which was never going to happen and is also extremely boring)... So, criticizing them for logos is a bit unfair. Anyone that thought we were going to keep the Knight logo was just being naïve

Why didn't they incorporate the shield in at least one of their suggestions?

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on June 10, 2021, 01:08:26 PM

Sadly if they pick Gold it is because they can use the shield.

For that matter a Dunehawk can carry a shield. He is a very versatile bird

mp91

You can still keep the shield logo with a new name. Most schools have multiple logos. Just because you become the Storm or whatever doesn't mean you have to get rid of the shield logo. Purdue has like three logos: "P", the train logo, and Purdue Pete.... The new logo would just be replacing the Knight

vu84v2

Quote from: IndyValpo on June 10, 2021, 01:06:49 PM
I can only assume Tempest was chosen because it is so bad anything else looks good. We have had months of suggestions but this is easily the worst.

I think Gold is bad as well not wild about Sparks. There are Hawks, Red Hawks,Fighting Hawks, Mountain Hawks, War Hawks, Skyhawks and Jayhawks in D1 why not a Dunehawk? Beacons, Lightning and Storm would be unique to D1

Storm is not that unique to D1 - St. John's Red Storm.

Lightning - If there were copyright issues with the Vegas hockey team, wouldn't there be issues with the Tampa hockey team? Also (as mentioned in other posts), not good to emphasize an academic program regardless of whether it is large or small.

Beacons - Ehhh?

Given these choices (which are not great), I could go with Dunehawks (but would prefer to go back to the drawing board).

By the way, Kansas' nickname was Jayhawks before the bird was applied. Jayhawks (from Jayhawkers) has a very positive historical nature.

valpopal

You can forget about Lightning Hawk. The Lightning Hawk name is already being shot down (pun intended) by the politically correct folks who retired the Crusader because that is also the name of a powerful gun in the Resident Evil video game series.

valpopal

Quote from: mp91 on June 10, 2021, 01:32:23 PM

You can still keep the shield logo with a new name. Most schools have multiple logos. Just because you become the Storm or whatever doesn't mean you have to get rid of the shield logo. Purdue has like three logos: "P", the train logo, and Purdue Pete.... The new logo would just be replacing the Knight

I didn't conclude the shield would need to go. I was suggesting it would have been practical and beneficial to blend the shield identity with a mascot suggestion.

valpo64

If these are actually the names on the "final" list, what a waste of time on their part  If I had to choose one I would go with the "gold" but  I do not like any of them....just go with "Valpo"

vuny98

And here we see the problem with political correctness. Take something that 5% of the population had an issue with and replace it with something 75% of the population will hate.

I am not going to fault the Mascot Committee (although I should for some of the really really bad options, unless they added some really bad options on purpose just so we all have something to unite us against, so we can all say at least it wasn't the lightening hawks, which if that was their thinking, bravo brilliant move). The Mascot committee was put in an impossible position. No one will agree on a new mascot. For everyone that likes Gold (me) there will be 3 people that say they think its a dumb/boring name. For everyone one that says they like Beacon's, there will be someone like me saying that it is the lamest mascot name I could think of.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vuny98 on June 10, 2021, 03:21:50 PM
And here we see the problem with political correctness. Take something that 5% of the population had an issue with and replace it with something 75% of the population will hate.

I am not going to fault the Mascot Committee (although I should for some of the really really bad options, unless they added some really bad options on purpose just so we all have something to unite us against, so we can all say at least it wasn't the lightening hawks, which if that was their thinking, bravo brilliant move). The Mascot committee was put in an impossible position. No one will agree on a new mascot. For everyone that likes Gold (me) there will be 3 people that say they think its a dumb/boring name. For everyone one that says they like Beacon's, there will be someone like me saying that it is the lamest mascot name I could think of.
You are exactly correct. I had my favorite but my overall goal was nothing lame. Unfortunately there a several contenders that are lame in my mind and yes to further prove your point I would list Gold among them. However I am leaning towards anything but Tempest.

valpo64

I agree that the Committee should be disbanded as it is and was a waste of money for the results that they brought forward for consideration.  It is a joke.  These names sound more like a list some 5th or 6th graders would come up with to name their 5/6 grade team.  The Dune hawks?  Are you kidding?  As an alum of Valpo, I am embarrassed by this effort.  It is an insult.

mj

This entire process has been botched. The folks who wanted to get rid of the Crusader jumped at the opportunity to change the name without thinking about next steps. They created a mess and then left President Padilla to clean it up.

If Valpo quietly disbanded the mascot committee and didn't change the logo on the basketball court, they could probably get away with reintroducing the Crusader in a few years.
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

This is what happens when you let the tail wag the dog.