• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New NCAA NIL Rules

Started by valpopal, July 01, 2021, 12:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuny98

Quote from: crusader05 on July 20, 2021, 04:29:57 PMYeah I think the other piece missing her is that student athletes were forbidden from making any type of outside money on themselves even if it wasn't related to sports. A swimmer couldn't open their own t-shirt company on-line, a football player couldn't sell customized shoes or other art work etc. I think those types of rules would impact a lot more players and are incredibly unfair in a way that balances out whatever happens with some of the big name guys and gals at the bigger schools. Think about Eron, maybe he could get some sponsors for his youtube shows now which are not at all just basketball focused.
100% agree with this. This is what always seemed unfair to me. Student athletes now have the opportunity to use their non athletic talents to make money the way anyone else would be able to. The vast majority of student athletes are not going to be getting shoe deals, or advertising spots, or money for autographs.

Now, there will be that top 1% that will have boosters pay for interviews or some BS as a way to lure recruits. But that was all happening behind the scenes anyway and those guys were never mid major recruits to begin with. I honestly don't see this changing things much.
Much like the transfer portal, there will be the students that are looking for that Perfect deal and they will be left out in the cold once they realize no one is paying them for advertising spots or speaking engagements.

crusader05

With the Olympics going on it has also made me wonder how this may effect people in sports that don't get a lot of attention until the Olympics or where the NIL rules may now mean your choice isn't always Olympic money and/or swimming for a college.

valpo84

Suni Lee, the Olympic Gold Medalist in All-Around Gymnastics will be a major beneficiary of the new NIL rules.  Before, she would not have been able to participate in gymnastics in college if she chose to do DWTS, a national tour or Subway ads.  Now, she can participate in those activities and may be able to perform in Simone Biles gymnastics tour (which will need some other headliners), and she can still compete at Auburn, where she had committed and plans to attend for her freshperson year this Fall.  The schools will need to determine how to balance the athletes travel and competition schedules.  The same will be true for those college swimmers who competed in the Olympics -- TYR deals for all of them.  From that perspective, that's a positive of the NIL rules.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

The big news nationally and in particular, in Texas is that Qwinn Ewers, the nations #1 rated Quarterback, is skipping his senior year of high school to enroll at Ohio State.  It's all about the money.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article253198923.html#:~:text=Ben%20Powell%20AP-,Quinn%20Ewers%2C%20considered%20the%20top%20quarterback%20prospect%20in%20the%20class,State%20for%20the%20upcoming%20semester.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mp91

Quote from: vu72 on August 03, 2021, 04:23:16 PM
The big news nationally and in particular, in Texas is that Qwinn Ewers, the nations #1 rated Quarterback, is skipping his senior year of high school to enroll at Ohio State.  It's all about the money.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article253198923.html#:~:text=Ben%20Powell%20AP-,Quinn%20Ewers%2C%20considered%20the%20top%20quarterback%20prospect%20in%20the%20class,State%20for%20the%20upcoming%20semester.

Smart guy

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on August 03, 2021, 04:23:16 PM

Screw Southlake Carroll, go Colleyville Heritage :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Athletic booster "business collectives" promising huge payouts to prize football recruits

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/football/nil-was-factor-on-signing-day-how-big-of-one-up-for-debate/article_613a90f9-7239-513e-8e0e-c6a6f11eea0f.html

This is only the beginning. As I stated in another thread, people are born to cheat, lie, and steal.

valpotx

I am sure that Ewers will have a massive amount of NIL at UT
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

The Recruiting Guy:
NIL deals becoming more absurd

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2022/jan/09/nil-deals-becoming-absurd/

Business "cooperatives" are forming around big time FB programs. 4 and 5-star players are going to the highest bidder. Offers and counter offers. Texas A&M has bought the No. 1 2022 FB recruiting class, and the highest rated recruiting class in college FB history. They are offering 4-and 5-star players up to $100,000/yr. for 4 years - paid every year up front.

This is only the beginning. Look for under the table payments on top of NIL payments. Booster sleaze now rules college athletics.

oklahomamick

Not to mention coaches leaving for other schools and taking players with them.  Yeah I'm looking at you USC. 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

not sure what you are say ok... but college football needs USC to be great again. It cant be all SEC all the time.

NativeCheesehead

Hate to break it to you, but "Booster Sleaze" has been running big time college football for several decades now.

oklahomamick

Possibly, but we have never seen a coach leave one school and go to another while bringing several of his players with him.  That's a first. 

We haven't seen Texas A&M ever have the number ranked recruiting class until boosters starting step up the way they did this year. 
CRUSADERS!!!