• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Bradley 1/26 6pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 26, 2022, 07:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

It looks like The Beacons will need to focus on JuCo transfer Terry Roberts who leads the team in scoring and has been named Newcomer of the Week for the last two weeks. In those two weeks, the Braves have defeated Drake (in Des Moines), Evansville, and SIU, while losing to IlSU. They have a victory over NIU and lost to Loyola in OT.  This shapes up as another evenly matched contest.

It seems that Kithier and Anderson will be available but limited.

It's cold in Valpo, but I'm hoping for a hot evening in the ARC.
Beamin' Beacons

Valpo89

I think I'm going to stay home and watch, resisting the urge to go heckle Brian Wardle about watching his step when he gets on and off the bus.

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 26, 2022, 07:19:40 AM
It looks like The Beacons will need to focus on JuCo transfer Terry Roberts who leads the team in scoring and has been named Newcomer of the Week for the last two weeks. In those two weeks, the Braves have defeated Drake (in Des Moines), Evansville, and SIU, while losing to IlSU. They have a victory over NIU and lost to Loyola in OT.  This shapes up as another evenly matched contest.

It seems that Kithier and Anderson will be available but limited.

It's cold in Valpo, but I'm hoping for a hot evening in the ARC.

That's good news. Where did you hear/read this?

Just Sayin

While slight underdogs, I think Valpo wins tonight. The team seems to be coming together quite nicely after some tough close games.

vu72

If Illinois State loses to Drake and Valpo wins I believe we go to a tie for 5th.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on January 26, 2022, 09:31:58 AM
That's good news. Where did you hear/read this?

I'm not sure -- I think that it's based on Luke's comments after the last game. I know for sure that I didn't read it in a game preview in a local newspaper.
Beamin' Beacons

humbleopinion

Further research: it was based on this tweet from Paul Oren.

Paul Oren
@NWIOren
·
Jan 24
Matt Lottich says on
@ValleyHoops
teleconference that Thomas Kithier and Trevor Anderson are both dealing with back injuries, but both are on trajectory to play on Wednesday against Bradley. #MVCHoops
Beamin' Beacons

valpo95

Just thought I'd point out that since joining Bradley in 2015-16, Brian Wardle has an overall record of 103-112 and is 49-67 in the MVC. For comparison purposes, Matt Lottich has an overall record of 92-88,  and is 32-37 in the MVC (joining 2017-18). Wardle is getting paid $708.9K, just over twice as much as the last reported number for Lottich at $346.3K. 

Bradley is slightly favored to win the game, and comes in at 4-4 in conference versus 3-5 for the Beacons.

In addition, both teams have a two-game winning streak, which is currently the longest in the MVC.

wh

Quote from: valpo95 on January 26, 2022, 02:34:27 PM
Just thought I'd point out that since joining Bradley in 2015-16, Brian Wardle has an overall record of 103-112 and is 49-67 in the MVC. For comparison purposes, Matt Lottich has an overall record of 92-88,  and is 32-37 in the MVC (joining 2017-18). Wardle is getting paid $708.9K, just over twice as much as the last reported number for Lottich at $346.3K. 

Bradley is slightly favored to win the game, and comes in at 4-4 in conference versus 3-5 for the Beacons.

In addition, both teams have a two-game winning streak, which is currently the longest in the MVC.

Good research. Interesting and surprising.

vok22

Quote from: wh on January 26, 2022, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: valpo95 on January 26, 2022, 02:34:27 PM

Good research. Interesting and surprising.

Also worth noting he has won 2 MVC Tournament championships in that same time frame.

IndyEIT777

I was just about to say that Vok, that is the big difference, they have achieved the goal of making the tourney twice in that stretch which gives Wardle the comfort of not being on a hot seat.

That said, it is true Bradley's record in that timeframe is very mediocre. However, I'm getting sick of Valpo being compared with mediocre. We joined the MVC to elevate our program further and we have squandered this opportunity. I still want that to see that program from the first half of the 2010s with a winners mentality from the program and fans. But right now it doesn't seem like that is a reality.

As for tonight, it's a must win to avoid Thursday. We played two games in a row against teams without their best player and barely squeaked by. I'm not sure what Henry's health status is for tonight, but whether he's in or out, we need to play a hell of a lot better than the last two games if we want to make noise the rest of the season.[/quote]

vu72

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 26, 2022, 03:03:31 PMWe played two games in a row against teams without their best player and barely squeaked by

And one of those teams, namely Indiana State, still playing without one of their best players, just knocked off Missouri State.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyEIT777

Quote from: vu72 on January 26, 2022, 03:08:09 PM
Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 26, 2022, 03:03:31 PMWe played two games in a row against teams without their best player and barely squeaked by
And one of those teams, namely Indiana State, still playing without one of their best players, just knocked off Missouri State.

And that Missouri State team clapped us on our home court. We are in no way, shape or form close to the level Missouri State is at right now because Indiana State beat them.

I only truly care about what we do against our competition, and to me, what we have done to this point in the season has not raised my expectations. We still have far too many flaws with this team to talk about competing for a conference title which is what we came into the Valley to do. Maybe I'm watching a different game from everyone else, but if we can't hit layups more consistently or defend the 3 better, we're not beating any of the top 4 teams in St. Louis.

justducky

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on January 26, 2022, 03:34:17 PMI only truly care about what we do against our competition, and to me, what we have done to this point in the season has not raised my expectations. We still have far too many flaws with this team to talk about competing for a conference title which is what we came into the Valley to do. Maybe I'm watching a different game from everyone else, but if we can't hit layups more consistently or defend the 3 better, we're not beating any of the top 4 teams in St. Louis.

I'm confident that our offense can improve but our best defense is still insufficient for a deep Valley tournament run. 9-9 and 1 win in St. Louis might be achievable but that seems to firmly cap my current expectations. Not what I was expecting when all these guys transferred in!

humbleopinion

More of a challenge this evening— Kithier is out.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Is school in session? No students. No band. No cheerleaders (yet).

NativeCheesehead

Random thought: I do love how the coaches across the country have just been like "f&$k it, we're wearing sweats and polos" post pandemic.

AlaskaCrusader19

Just when I thought things were getting better...

tjjvalpo

Exactly! Back to playing street basketball-resulting too many TO. And Bradley getting wide open looks at the three!

NativeCheesehead

Pass-Pass-Pass-Hero ball. That's it. That's our offense.

IndyEIT777

How long until everyone is convinced there is no offensive scheme Lottich has put together for this team? There was no sign of any kind of set plays that half. Bradley defended our offense with ease. We don't have players fast enough to beat defenders or strong enough players to post up. This is so beyond frustrating!

tjjvalpo

Looks like no Trevor in 2nd half. He still hasn't come out from the locker room. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us coming back fro 15 down.

AlaskaCrusader19

It's sad seeing the ARC this empty. It's a Wednesday night early on in the semester with hardly any students at the game a nearly empty upper deck. Matt Lottich has made it incredibly easy for fans to be apathetic.

nkvu

Reminds me of a game between a team that knows how to play basketball and a bunch of guys that don't have a clue. Guess I'll continue watching just to see how long my gag reflex can take it.

Chairback

So much standing around on offense.  You can hear a fan in the crowd keep yelling "MOVE".