• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Athletic Director: Dr. Charles Small

Started by Valpo89, May 23, 2022, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

Since I started the LaBarbara retirement thread, I guess I'll step up and start a new thread for his replacement.

The school seems to be going above and beyond promoting this hire, anyone else agree? Here's an example:

https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2021-22/21366/media-interviews-with-dr-charles-small-to-continue-this-week/

Don't think they did much of that when Homer and Bryce were interviewed by "national" people. Maybe they didn't need to.

I will end by saying this, which got a few laughs from some of my cohorts:

The first coach that is fired by the new AD will be able to say, "You're killing me, Smalls!"

vu72

I suspect that this is a concerted effort to bring the greater community on board.  Being the first black AD is certainly news and no doubt Padilla's effort to have Valpo viewed as something other than a "Lilly White University"  The diversity effort is well on its way and is needed for the longer term.  The fact that the AP picked up on the story got it spread all over the nation certainly helped.  As a former news guy, is that something promoted to the AP by the University or is it just dumb luck?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

I'm sure the sports information department sent it out to as many news outlets as they can, including AP.

78crusader

This has probably been said already, and many if not most of the folks on this board would share this sentiment, but Mark LaBarbera is leaving some big shoes to fill. 

Paul

historyman

This is the first time it has every happened that I found out about some important Valpo athletics news on a billboard. I found out about Dr. Charles Small's hiring on Thursday by reading it on an electronic billboard on I-65. The message had a picture of Dr. Small so that everyone in NW Indiana could see that VU had hired a black man as it's Athletic Director. 

Bravo to President Padilla!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on May 24, 2022, 06:57:18 AM
This is the first time it has every happened that I found out about some important Valpo athletics news on a billboard. I found out about Dr. Charles Small's hiring on Thursday by reading it on an electronic billboard on I-65. The message had a picture of Dr. Small so that everyone in NW Indiana could see that VU had hired a black man as it's Athletic Director. 

I am impressed by this hire, particularly because it satisfies all the requirements expressed at the start of the hiring process. Given the elevated expectations and disappointing results in athletics during recent years, I will withhold full evaluation until I witness positive effects from this move, but I am hoping for the best and wish the new AD well. However, how long are we going to continue with the Dr. Small reference? I understand the use of "Dr." by Padilla during a formal introduction; nevertheless, seeing the reference used repeatedly in informal conversations, as well as in the title of this thread and twice in the short message above, I wonder when we will shift simply to AD Small. A large majority of faculty members at VU have doctorates, and rarely do any of us request the "Dr." label; indeed, most actively avoid or discourage it in everyday interactions (especially with peers, colleagues, or outside connections, but even with students) and informal correspondence where it can seem affected or create a sense of distance. Indeed, I was pleased to see the "Dr." discarded after the title and initial statement by Padilla in the official news release at the Athletics site: https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2021-22/21359/dr-charles-small-named-valparaiso-university-director-of-athletics/

In any case, Welcome to Athletic Director Small!

crusader05

I'd imagine once he becomes AD and it is less theoretical and more a reality it will move to Smalls. it's pretty standard journalist and PR practice to always include the title in the first mention and than move to a more casual "Mr." but with this being the initial hire Dr is probably going to be used a bit more often than usual.  I'd guess that everyone also differs regarding how they want to be introduced/referred to as well and for some the Dr is a very important part of their professional identity. 

VUGrad1314

I am INCREDIBLY impressed by this hire! Feels like he checks every box! MLB has left some big shoes to fill but I think Dr Small can fill them!

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on May 24, 2022, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: historyman on May 24, 2022, 06:57:18 AM

I am impressed by this hire, particularly because it satisfies all the requirements expressed at the start of the hiring process. Given the elevated expectations and disappointing results in athletics during recent years, I will withhold full evaluation until I witness positive effects from this move, but I am hoping for the best and wish the new AD well. However, how long are we going to continue with the Dr. Small reference? I understand the use of "Dr." by Padilla during a formal introduction; nevertheless, seeing the reference used repeatedly in informal conversations, as well as in the title of this thread and twice in the short message above, I wonder when we will shift simply to AD Small. A large majority of faculty members at VU have doctorates, and rarely do any of us request the "Dr." label; indeed, most actively avoid or discourage it in everyday interactions (especially with peers, colleagues, or outside connections, but even with students) and informal correspondence where it can seem affected or create a sense of distance. Indeed, I was pleased to see the "Dr." discarded after the title and initial statement by Padilla in the official news release at the Athletics site: https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2021-22/21359/dr-charles-small-named-valparaiso-university-director-of-athletics/

In any case, Welcome to Athletic Director Small!

I can take it or leave it. I was just trying to follow form. Maybe we can call him "Doc."  ;D
I
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpospartan

Quote from: vu72 on May 23, 2022, 12:51:18 PM
I suspect that this is a concerted effort to bring the greater community on board.  Being the first black AD is certainly news and no doubt Padilla's effort to have Valpo viewed as something other than a "Lilly White University"  The diversity effort is well on its way and is needed for the longer term.  The fact that the AP picked up on the story got it spread all over the nation certainly helped.  As a former news guy, is that something promoted to the AP by the University or is it just dumb luck?
Yesterday, I was shocked to hear Dr. Small being interviewed on Chicago radio station, WGN AM 720.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpospartan on May 25, 2022, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 23, 2022, 12:51:18 PMI suspect that this is a concerted effort to bring the greater community on board.  Being the first black AD is certainly news and no doubt Padilla's effort to have Valpo viewed as something other than a "Lilly White University"  The diversity effort is well on its way and is needed for the longer term.  The fact that the AP picked up on the story got it spread all over the nation certainly helped.  As a former news guy, is that something promoted to the AP by the University or is it just dumb luck?
Yesterday, I was shocked to hear Dr. Small being interviewed on Chicago radio station, WGN AM 720.

Perhaps a new era is dawning for Valpo athletics. There are positive signs beginning to show. I'll try to temper my optimism until more time has passed and we see the results but I like what I am seeing so far very much.

VU75

The shield has popped up right behind home plate at Sox park.

DuneHwx

In his interview with PO, Dr. Small says that the emphasis will be on an exceptional student athlete experience. What changes does the board guess that emphasis would bring?

Valpo Joe

The Shield right behind Home Plate during the Red Sox - White Sox game on Monday (Bosox slaughter) and again on Tuesday along with Valparaiso University banner :thumbsup:  I'm guessing that cost a few coins!  Well worth it !!! GO VALPO !!!

JD24

Quote from: DuneHwx on May 26, 2022, 08:28:14 AMIn his interview with PO, Dr. Small says that the emphasis will be on an exceptional student athlete experience. What changes does the board guess that emphasis would bring?
Hasn't that always been the case? I'm not speaking in terms of results just in theory.

usc4valpo

an exceptional student-athlete experience should imply championship success and not the current commitment to mediocrity. I think this guy can accommodate this.

crusader05

My guess/hope is that it will refer to resources and support for students as well. Better and more trainers, better equipment and uniforms, better nutrition centers etc.

We all want to win but that's always going to be something harder to accomplish than just making sure the students feel there overall experience was positive and prioritized.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on May 26, 2022, 01:34:47 PM
My guess/hope is that it will refer to resources and support for students as well. Better and more trainers, better equipment and uniforms, better nutrition centers etc.

This goes back to the point that I have made in other posts. A critical part of an AD's job is to raise money...to pay for the things listed above that are associated with a better student-experience, as well as to hire better coaches, retain good people, enhance facilities, etc. I strongly doubt that the university was somehow withholding money for athletics when MLB was the AD and is now going to release money because there is a new AD. AD Small is going to have to go out and raise money to increase funding beyond current levels. I am sure that he will have some help from President Padilla, but this will make or break whether he is successful in this role.

historyman

I heard that interview too.

John Williams, the WGN Radio host is a big Butler fan because his kid attends Butler.

Although Brian Burroughs, a program engineer at WGN and a Valpo grad, was there to give the enthusiasm for Valpo basketball. I made sure to text into the station to let John Williams know that not only is his program engineer a Valpo grad but also Adam Amin.

Pgmado

Quote from: historyman on June 01, 2022, 02:12:01 AM

John Williams, the WGN Radio host is a big Butler fan because his kid attends Butler.

Although Brian Burroughs, a program engineer at WGN and a Valpo grad, was there to give the enthusiasm for Valpo basketball. I made sure to text into the station to let John Williams know that not only is his program engineer a Valpo grad but also Adam Amin.

The name is Ryan Burrow. He's been a reporter for WGN and ABC News for years. I know him pretty well. I was the best man in his wedding.

crusadermoe

Good to know.  Some good sports journalism talent even beyond Adam Amin is sprouting from the Valpo tree

historyman

Quote from: Pgmado on June 02, 2022, 09:10:20 AM
Quote from: historyman on June 01, 2022, 02:12:01 AM

The name is Ryan Burrow. He's been a reporter for WGN and ABC News for years. I know him pretty well. I was the best man in his wedding.

Sorry for my mistake. I don't listen very often to WGN Radio but was excited to hear there was another Valpo grad in the Chicago media. John Williams is not one of my favorites and I wish Ryan would get away from him asap.