• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Chicago St. 11-16-22 7pm CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 15, 2022, 07:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Game 3 should be an opportunity to get some of our bench guys valuable playing time. As much as I'd like to win by 20+, I think getting Emil, Max, Cam, Darius, Connor etc some extended run would be great. Chicago State is 1-2,ranked 352/363 teams by Massey with loses to NW by 31 and St Thomas(brand new to D1) by 18. They did beat IUPUI by 10 which isn't saying much considering the mass exodus of players two years ago. Hopefully we don't come out flat and give them a chance!

Valpo 76
Chicago St 62

valpotx

Valpo 82
Chicago State 65

No ghost of Deji Akindele here...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 15, 2022, 07:16:47 PMDeji Akindele

From wikipedia:
QuoteAkindele chose Chicago State over Rutgers, St. Peters and St. Marys. During Akindele's first season in Chicago, the 7'1" center averaged 7.1 points per game, 5.6 rebounds and 1.94 blocks per game.[1] In his second season, Akindele improved his block total by 8 in 4 fewer games (2.50 bpg), as well as improving his scoring average to 12 ppg.[2] His best game, statistically, was when he registered 28 points (10-for-13 field goals), 21 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 79–71 loss to Green Bay on December 1, 2004.[3] He was also named the Mid-Continent Conference defensive player of the year for 2004–2005.

Akindele left Chicago State after his sophomore year, declaring himself eligible for the 2005 NBA draft. Going unselected in 2005, he had a short stint with the NBA team Golden State Warriors. Akindele was then selected in the fourth round of the Development League's Draft by the Fort Worth Flyers.[4]

In December 2010 he signed with Montepaschi Siena until the end of the 2010–11 season.[5] In August 2011 he returned to Russia to play for Spartak Primorye.[6] In February 2012, he signed in Iran with Petrochimi Bandar Imam.[7] In August 2012, he signed with Juvecaserta Basket.[8] In April 2013, he left them and signed with Champville in Lebanon.[9]

In August 2013, he signed with Budućnost Podgorica.[10] Once the Adriatic League regular season finished, in April 2014 Akindele signed for Gran Canaria until the end of the 2013–14 season.[11]

In September 2014, he signed with Baloncesto Fuenlabrada of Spain for the 2014–15 ACB season.[12] He won the ACB Player of the Month Award in January 2015.[13]

On June 11, 2015, he signed with Yeşilgiresun Belediye of the Turkish Basketball League for the 2015–16 season.[14] On June 27, 2015, he signed a short-term deal with Vaqueros de Bayamón of Puerto Rico for the rest of the 2015 BSN season.[15] In July 2015, he joined the Metros de Santiago of Dominican Republic for the rest of the 2015 LNB season.[16]

In October 2016, Akindele signed with Fuerza Regia of the Mexican LNBP.[17] On April 5, 2017, he re-joined the Vaqueros de Bayamón.[18]

In December 2017, Akindele signed with Yalova Group BelediyeSpor of the Turkish Basketball First League.[19] On April 10, 2018, he returned to Puerto Rico with Capitanes de Arecibo.[20] Akindele rejoined Vaqueros de Bayamón on February 26, 2020, replacing the injured Greg Smith.[21]

Deji has played in the USA, Russia, Italy, Iran, Lebanon, Montenegro, Spain, Turkey, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Mexico and his home country of Nigeria. That has to be close to some kind of record for numbers of countries that a professional basketball player has played.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

Deji had a longer pro career than Greg Oden...and might have a longer career than Chet Holmgren, and he might have been amazing for Chicago State's record and history books, if he had stayed 4 years.

I'm not paying to watch this game. Will be nice to listen to Todd and Brandon calling this one.

vok22

I can't watch the game anyway tonight, but I really want to know how much money companies like FloHoops are making from games like this. What is the benefit to buying the rights to this game? How many people do they think are going to pay to watch a game between Valparaiso and Chicago State?

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: vok22 on November 16, 2022, 09:39:06 AMI can't watch the game anyway tonight, but I really want to know how much money companies like FloHoops are making from games like this. What is the benefit to buying the rights to this game? How many people do they think are going to pay to watch a game between Valparaiso and Chicago State?

Idk , definitely annoying , but I paid. Just money 🤣 Ughhh slow start, down 8-2

valporun

Quote from: vok22 on November 16, 2022, 09:39:06 AM
I can't watch the game anyway tonight, but I really want to know how much money companies like FloHoops are making from games like this. What is the benefit to buying the rights to this game? How many people do they think are going to pay to watch a game between Valparaiso and Chicago State?

FloHoops uses this as a fundraising source for both themselves and the schools they cover, but I'm not interested in spending about $30 for one game online, even if I get a full month's access. I don't need to spend that much for this game.

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on November 16, 2022, 06:53:07 PM
Quote from: vok22 on November 16, 2022, 09:39:06 AMI can't watch the game anyway tonight, but I really want to know how much money companies like FloHoops are making from games like this. What is the benefit to buying the rights to this game? How many people do they think are going to pay to watch a game between Valparaiso and Chicago State?

Idk , definitely annoying , but I paid. Just money 🤣 Ughhh slow start, down 8-2

You are my eyes and ears keep posting!
Shine on Vu

VUSWIM08-12

Absolute dog shat so far , down 15-8, after under 12 timeout , no clock on the feed !

NotBryceDrew

Is anyone else severely annoyed about us entering into a home and home with Chicago state and they broadcast on flow hoops. Like no one is lining up to play them we are doing them a favor. Put it in the contact it's espn+ or streamed on a free service they arnt gonna say no... I understand flow for MTEs not this.

VUSWIM08-12

Down 20-8, if we lose fire Lottich at 10pm tonight

hailcrusaders

Going to need King to get it going. And everyone needs to step up on perimeter defense! CSU is shooting hot, and this would be an embarassing loss.

Any guesses on attendance? I'm sure the announced number will be inflated a bit but there'll be a lot of empty seats.
#CrusadersForever

valpofb16

Never hop over to this side but a loss to Chicago State would be absolutely unacceptable.

Does Lottich have a large buyout? What am I missing?

VUSWIM08-12

Fire Lottich , worst half I've seen in 15 yrs of Valpo basketball . Down 34-14, just a fawkin joke and embarrassment!

valpofb16

valpotx

How has Chicago State made 12 shots in a row??
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

Wow , I'm at a loss , down 43-21. 2:30 left in first half

valporun

They are playing as an independent, and we can't hit the broad side of the rim, or the officials don't even care, since Chicago St. is playing just for the hell of it these days. They LEFT the WAC, and don't have a conference for most of their sports...WHAT THE F!!! WHY are we playing this game, other than CSU just needs games? Do these count against us in the NET or whatever metrics the NCAA uses for tournament seeding these days?

valpotx

For anyone watching the game, are they making contested shots, or are all of these wide open?  Does Chicago State realize that they are Chicago State?
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

Is this a "buy game" for the Cougars? Hah

NotBryceDrew

VUSWIM08-12

No they don't realize who they are and that's why they are crushing us, confident play. Like 70% from 3 I think. Makes no difference if it's a buy or not. Come out and play. I'll be leaving a message for Dr. Small this evening. Ughhhhhhhhhh, Fuc, Fuc, Fuk. Down 49-24 at half...

VUGrad1314

They are a D1 team so it is a countable game. But how can anyone be thinking about tournament seeding at a time like this? We're lucky every MVC team gets invited to Arch Madness. If that weren't the case the team that showed up to play this game tonight would be staying home. I can't even fathom a Lottich coached team making the NCAA Tournament at this point. Like that's not even a distant dream right now. This is absolutely unacceptable. How can we not make a coaching change after this? I can't even remember the last time we lost to Chicago State. I can't even remember the last time it was even close. Unless we have a furious second half rally Lottich must be fired immediately. There's no going back from this. An absolute low point for this once-proud program. Maybe do a national search next time so we can actually attract a good candidate (assuming any decent candidate even wants this job at this point. Hopefully the MVC affiliation is attractive enough to lure a hungry up and comer but I don't know. And people think Lottich would still be successful even if we had stayed in the Horizon? The problem isn't our conference it's our coach. Full stop. Fix that and Valpo will be just fine in the MVC.

hailcrusaders

CSU actually won their last game, beating IUPUI 68-58 on Monday. So they're looking at the possibility of a D-1 winning streak and playing with confidence I bet that program hasn't had in a while. Good for them.

In more distant history, 2013 to be exact, the Valpo football team lost 72-12 to Butler, and I seem to recall MLB making an in-season change.
#CrusadersForever

elephtheria47

We're in the MVC, why are we playing a game like this...

At their place...

..and losing by 25 at halftime.

When will this nightmare end. Even the pro-Lottich/its-the-2nd-game-of-the-season crowd can't defend this. Hell, I'll coach this team at my current salary for the rest of the year if thats what it takes.