• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Chicago St. 11-16-22 7pm CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 15, 2022, 07:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 02, 2022, 06:18:38 AMI understand that USC regarding athletics is at a different level than Valpo. In 2021 USC football fired Helton after the second game, knowing that Helton was not the right dude for the job and assuring that a change was required. This was during the season and made a strong statement that change  will happen. If Matt Lottich is not the right coach and the higher ups are certain of that, change should be made now. You are doing any favors to anyone. If you keep it status quo, you leave uncertainly for the future, and if Valpo wins a few games or go on a short streak, false hope results leading to the same mediocre situation.
It also didn't work the previous 2 times USC changed coaches mid-season. Apparently statements only are made a third of the time.

elephtheria47

I mean, how good of terms do you really think ML negotiated? 3rd AC with no HC experience? I would have signed something that said I could be fired for free after 6 seasons, as that meant my first gig was 6 seaons which should mean its successful. Small is still new and will witness it in person this year. Lottich is gone after the season and to be honest, we may as well let ML finish the season anyhow and use those savings to get a better coach next go around.

usc4valpo

JD24 - true, but they were on an unjust probation period during that time, and one coach had a drug related issue. All I'm saying is if you believe Lottich is not the guy, make the change now instead of dragging it on. Right now this team is on below mediocre cruise mode and there's apathy.

chgovalpofan

Matt's agent negotiated a solid contract.  If Matt had panned out, Valpo would have had a great coach at an "affordable" price.  But unfortunately for Valpo that proved not to be the case and the buyout was expensive.

valpolaw

How do you know the terms of Lottichs contract and what is the buy out? His contract was extended when it should've never been extended in the first place. I'd hope the university made it favorable to them at that point but maybe not.

valpo95

As much as some may be in favor of firing coach Lottich, it seems unlikely this will happen mid-season for two reasons. First, as mentioned, it is not likely that under current financial constraints, the university will be paying an individual NOT to be the head coach. Second, VU has a long history of sticking with coaches longer than may seem advisable: I can think of calls to fire Homer Drew after his first few years, or keeping Stacy Adams or Dale Carlson after it was clear neither of those two were effective head coaches. 

Naturally we fans may want to see a change when things are not going well. Yet from a hiring perspective, whoever is next knows that he/she will get a longer opportunity to make an improvement. This means that there is less need for a longer contract or large buyout. I'm guessing that both of these factors argue in favor of retaining Coach Lottich through the end of the year. If the season turns out poorly, even Coach Lottich would know that he had a long hook, with ample opportunity to be successful.

VUGrad1314

I wonder if the FBS pay game we took at New Mexico State is going to help us in our coaching search. Does anyone know how much we got and how much of that will actually go to the department instead of being eaten up by travel  food and lodging?

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

vu72

If it's any consolation, Chicago State was up 22 on Murray State--at Murray--before a furious second half comeback and Murray win on a last second shot.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015