• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs JMU

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 27, 2022, 11:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

I agree with JD24 that the 5 out and 4 out 1 in offenses that we seem to be running are not particularly conducive to high free throw numbers. I seriously dislike these offenses (thank you Steph Curry). However, I am surprised to see that with as often as Kobe King tries to aggressively attack the basket that his free throw attempts are down from last year. Would be interesting to know how many D1 games are played during the average season where one of the teams does not shoot a free throw. I can not think of a single game that I have been involved in where this has happened. I am sure that it does happen, but not very often, especially at this level.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Good and impressive win.  Hope contracts aren't extended because of it. 

Hope jmu doesn't end up a bubble team because that loss will look bad. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Quote from: tjjvalpo on November 27, 2022, 10:25:55 PM
According to KenPom Ranking, JMU was 79. According to Net Ranking, JMU was 211. So, it was a win, but great win, not so sure.

There are no official NET numbers out yet. The NCAA typically starts revealing NET around December. Those numbers you show are from last year. https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

chgovalpofan

I had to double check the score to make sure I saw it correctly.  So happy for the boys.  I didn't see them game at all so I can't comment on the play,  but I would be surprised if the win had anything to do with coaching.  Hopefully the boys learned something from this win and will use the momentum in Nashville.  GO Valpo!!

Did they really take a bus?

crusader05

They flew down to I think South Carolina I beleive and than took a bus to Georgia. I think they're bussing up to Nashville but I'm not sure.

FWalum

Quote from: chgovalpofan on November 28, 2022, 03:16:34 PM
I had to double check the score to make sure I saw it correctly.  So happy for the boys.  I didn't see them game at all so I can't comment on the play,  but I would be surprised if the win had anything to do with coaching.  Hopefully the boys learned something from this win and will use the momentum in Nashville.  GO Valpo!!

Did they really take a bus?
Wish I had been able to see the game, but wasn't convenient to do so over the holiday and from what I heard the feed was really bad. According to Todd, on the radio, Matt made some interesting in game changes that helped us stay close. Whether it was the foul trouble or coaching decision to play Palm again after sitting him for most of the last two games, his rebounding late was a big factor. Nick Edwards getting the minutes he played was also a change that paid big dividends. We also must have handled the pressure better/differently than in the Samford game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tjjvalpo

Just Saying, thanks for the clarification on the NET Ranking.

Just Sayin

tjjvalpo,

NET rankings should come out from the NCAA on December 5.

tjjvalpo

Just saying, as you said Net rankings came out this week. Initially, JMU was at 39, but they have dropped to 44. For now, this is considered a Quad 1 win. We are the only team with Net Ranking above 200 that has Quad 1 win.

AlaskaCrusader19

I just noticed this: out of 363 D1 teams, Valpo ranks 353rd with a 26% three-point percentage. When the roster isn't all that athletic and can't shoot... Yikes.

vok22

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on December 09, 2022, 09:53:20 AM
I just noticed this: out of 363 D1 teams, Valpo ranks 353rd with a 26% three-point percentage. When the roster isn't all that athletic and can't shoot... Yikes.

I have not dove into the numbers, but it seems to me that everyone that comes to Valpo suddenly loses their ability to shoot. I'm going to dig into this when I have the time and see if that's a real thing or just my imagination.

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on December 09, 2022, 10:14:30 AM
Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on December 09, 2022, 09:53:20 AMI just noticed this: out of 363 D1 teams, Valpo ranks 353rd with a 26% three-point percentage. When the roster isn't all that athletic and can't shoot... Yikes.
I have not dove into the numbers, but it seems to me that everyone that comes to Valpo suddenly loses their ability to shoot. I'm going to dig into this when I have the time and see if that's a real thing or just my imagination.
I have the same feelings without researching it. Seems like the last shooter who could shoot was Fazekas who was always hurt.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on December 09, 2022, 11:52:41 AMSeems like the last shooter who could shoot was Fazekas who was always hurt.

Probably not fair to compare shooters to Ryan, who has the second highest 3 point shooting percentage for a single season, and the highest ever for a career. (49.5% and 46.1%)

More interesting to me is the demise of the entire team. Three years ago (granted Ryan was still on the team) the team shot 34.1% for the season, last year was at 29.8 and this year we are at 27.8.  A guy like Ben Krikke, who, we're told "worked very hard" on his 3 point shooting in the off season, yet shot 34.1% three years ago, 26.7% last year and only 20% YTD, this season. The lack of confidence often comes with "miss a couple and you are riding the pines" which comes from the coaches, pure and simple.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Could the "offensive system" be contributing to the declining %ages?  Watching Valpopal's posted video and recalling watching AP live as well as in streamed games, the looks in those games were solid, allowing the shooters to square up and launch without much if any pressure because the "system" successfully sucked the D back toward the hoop.

Not having watched the last few years I can't assess, so I am just asking.   

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 09, 2022, 07:49:49 PMCould the "offensive system" be contributing to the declining %ages?  Watching Valpopal's posted video and recalling watching AP live as well as in streamed games, the looks in those games were solid, allowing the shooters to square up and launch without much if any pressure because the "system" successfully sucked the D back toward the hoop. Not having watched the last few years I can't assess, so I am just asking.
In a word Bud...yes...along with other potential contributing factors such as the above mentioned confidence issues.

VULB#62

Followup question because I only see LiveStats:  How is Palm being utilized?  His shifts are pretty short (why I don't know), but in the  short time he's on the court he appears to be able to clean the boards at both ends. Don't know how offensively skilled he is from LiveStats, but at 6'10" he is as big as Vashil. Vashil, in Bryce's O, was no offensive machine down low, but he was adept at setting up low, taking inbound passes and then kicking the ball back to shooters. Yet he had to be respected or else he could turn and score. Also, KVW was an undersized 5 at 6'8" and could kill you underneath all by himself with great scoring skill.  But he too was adept at setting up and kicking passes back out to open shooters like Rowdy as the D closed in on him. And as I dimly recall, both could dish off to cutters when dbl-teamed down low for easy layups. I also remember lots of pick and roll being used in the past involving the 5.  Does the current system utilize the 5 in these basic basketball attacks? Or is this too "old fashioned"?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 10, 2022, 10:47:12 AM
Followup question because I only see LiveStats:  How is Palm being utilized?  His shifts are pretty short (why I don't know), but in the  short time he's on the court he appears to be able to clean the boards at both ends. Don't know how offensively skilled he is from LiveStats, but at 6'10" he is as big as Vashil. Vashil, in Bryce's O, was no offensive machine down low, but he was adept at setting up low, taking inbound passes and then kicking the ball back to shooters. Yet he had to be respected or else he could turn and score. Also, KVW was an undersized 5 at 6'8" and could kill you underneath all by himself with great scoring skill.  But he too was adept at setting up and kicking passes back out to open shooters like Rowdy as the D closed in on him. And as I dimly recall, both could dish off to cutters when dbl-teamed down low for easy layups. I also remember lots of pick and roll being used in the past involving the 5.  Does the current system utilize the 5 in these basic basketball attacks? Or is this too "old fashioned"?

Another example of this skill set would be Cory Johnson.  Again, undersized but very mobile and could hit the outside shot.  Palm doesn't appear to me to be all that mobile and clearly has been told not to take the 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on December 10, 2022, 12:43:51 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 10, 2022, 10:47:12 AM

Another example of this skill set would be Cory Johnson.  Again, undersized but very mobile and could hit the outside shot.  Palm doesn't appear to me to be all that mobile and clearly has been told not to take the 3.

As I recall neither Vashil nor KVW would pop out for 3s.  Their damage was killing it down low. They had specific, well honed roles and were disciplined. Couldn't Palm be coached up to be like young (Jr. year) Vashil? He seems to have the size and power to play that limited, specific role in a disciplined offense.

Oh, wait. That presupposes two things:  disciplined and offense.

covufan

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on December 09, 2022, 09:53:20 AM
This used to be a quality of VU teams - better than average 3point shooting. Not only do we have poor shooters, they are taking ill advised shots, or trying to beat shot clock with wrong person shooting. Better coaching is needed soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 09, 2022, 07:49:49 PM
Could the "offensive system" be contributing to the declining %ages?  Watching Valpopal's posted video and recalling watching AP live as well as in streamed games, the looks in those games were solid, allowing the shooters to square up and launch without much if any pressure because the "system" successfully sucked the D back toward the hoop.

Not having watched the last few years I can't assess, so I am just asking.
We have an offensive system?

I'll just say our offense is just that, offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk