• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Elon Phoenix @ ARC Sunday afternoon 1pm 12/18

Started by talksalot, December 17, 2022, 07:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

It's going to take much more than a coaching change to turn around this apathetic situation.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 19, 2022, 05:30:32 AM
It's going to take much more than a coaching change to turn around this apathetic situation.
Unfortunately, I fear that you are correct. A coaching change is simple. A cultural change is not.

oklahomamick

You would be surprised how getting the right coach can improve the program.  Look at Lincoln riley and usc. 

Look at Bryce at valpo.  It was the same culture but he still had success
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

USC was willing to take a risk and make a huge investment, and it is paying off handsomely. Valpo OTOH is more passive.

vufan75

Quote from: truth219 on December 18, 2022, 05:08:08 PM
This is the worst Valpo team I have seen in 20-+ years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[emoji106] Sadly have to agree.

And are we jinxed or doing something wrong in terms of why we have endless injury issues?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on December 18, 2022, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: valpopal on December 18, 2022, 03:23:07 PM
Attendance was 1057, lowest of the year. Does the crowd number dip below 1000 for the Stonehill game on Wednesday or does the Community Game promo save the day?

Pretty sure the December graduation ceremony was at the same time, in the Chapel.  Maybe the grads out drew the basketball team!
Yes, I know, and you have to ask why a game was scheduled during the university's graduation ceremony. Who does that? I remember Bryce's speech to fans on his senior night as a player, and how he remarked he was proud when the ARC curtains to the upper level were finally opened for all games because increased attendance required the seating. He said that was a turning point for the program. As I watch games this year, I wonder if it might be wise to close the curtains again just to be certain the eyesore of so many empty seats isn't visible to viewers.

crusadermoe

Did not tune in for the Elon Musk-eteers.  Next up....the Stoners?

I have spoke up for Matt. But I am just tuned out now until and if we win 4 MVC games in January.

JD24

There isn't a prayer Valpo will spend the kind of money to bring in an established coach such as Crean or Weber as suggested. Best hope is for an up and coming coach who I'll suggest many will not be familiar with who can get his career off to a good start.

valpopal

Quote from: truth219 on December 17, 2022, 08:20:04 AM
I don't understand why we have such a weak out of conference schedule?
A result of the weak scheduling: after Sunday's win Valpo's NET rating worsens to #311!

crusadermoe

Ten bucks and my left nut says that the Stoners will cancel their trip for weather.  (Del Griffith)

That will disappoint the 317 people in town who had planned to brave the weather in a drive to the ARC.a

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on December 19, 2022, 11:26:29 AM
There isn't a prayer Valpo will spend the kind of money to bring in an established coach such as Crean or Weber as suggested. Best hope is for an up and coming coach who I'll suggest many will not be familiar with who can get his career off to a good start.
If there is a coaching change, three criteria will be in play. 1) Charles Small will depend on his personal connections, and those Valpo connections of the past fans remember (Tonagel, Diebler, etc.) will matter much less than links to Small's background at Iowa State (or Arkansas and Pittsburgh). 2) Even if VU wanted them, Valpo will not have the money to consider top tier former head coaches (like Crean or Weber); and if the university did pay a large sum, the faculty would revolt. 3) Small's history as a Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, as well as Padilla's emphasis on DEI, would likely be a part of what shapes their decision.

For instance, the type of individual Valpo probably would seek would be a successful assistant coach like Iowa State's JR Blount, a former player at Loyola, a former assistant coach at Drake, and the leader for a social justice program while an assistant coach at Colorado State, where he also apparently had a good reputation as a recruiter. I'm not saying he would be hired; I am just speculating, citing him as an example of the level we might expect in a candidate.     

usc4valpo

How much cash would Valpo provide for a new coach?

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 19, 2022, 02:53:53 PM
How much cash would Valpo provide for a new coach?

Can't remember what form this is reported on, but Matt is the highest paid employee at Valpo.  My recollection is he makes about $450,000
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

VU 72, I am sure Matt is highest paid employee at VU just like new coach will be. I believe Cal is highest paid state employee in the state of Kentucky.

usc4valpo

With NIL and rising costs, I think a new coach will be at least $550k. Valpo needs a reality check on this.

Just Sayin

Quote from: tiny707 on December 19, 2022, 03:46:57 PM
VU 72, I am sure Matt is highest paid employee at VU just like new coach will be. I believe Cal is highest paid state employee in the state of Kentucky.

The lastest published compensation figures shown on the IRS Form filed by the VU for the period ending June 2020:

Mark Heckler: Salary $430,315; Other compensation from the university and related organizations: $182,558. Total: $612,873.

Matt Lottich: Salary $345,373; Other compensation from the university and related organizations:  $38,429. Total: $383,802

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on December 18, 2022, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: valpopal on December 18, 2022, 03:23:07 PM
Attendance was 1057, lowest of the year. Does the crowd number dip below 1000 for the Stonehill game on Wednesday or does the Community Game promo save the day?

Pretty sure the December graduation ceremony was at the same time, in the Chapel.  Maybe the grads out drew the basketball team!

I was at graduation. Cornell Boggs, the newly elected Chairman of the Thrivent Board gave the address to the graduates. He had an excellent speech along with a wonderful charge to the graduates by President Padilla.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

FWAlum -" I was at graduation. Cornell Boggs, the newly elected Chairman of the Thrivent Board gave the address to the graduates. He had an excellent speech along with a wonderful charge to the graduates by President Padilla."

Sure hope Padilla and Smart double teamed Mr. Boggs at the graduation reception about how great a Thrivent Events Arena would look on campus and how much national exposure it would buy Thrivent with every televised or streamed MBB game. And what better place to make their legally-required  investment of their fraternal insurance funds (of Lutherans mainly) than the premier Lutheran University in the U.S.    ;D

valpotx

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 19, 2022, 11:36:35 AM
Ten bucks and my left nut says that the Stoners will cancel their trip for weather.  (Del Griffith)

That will disappoint the 317 people in town who had planned to brave the weather in a drive to the ARC.a

They made the trip to Bradley.  Worried about your left nut at this point? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"