• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tom Crean 2023/2024

Started by tiny707, December 18, 2022, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

VUSWIM08-12

Would be nice , Lottich gotta get fired first and can we afford Crean or Weber ?

truth219

Crean may take a low salary to get his career back on track. It wouldn't be a long term solution for either parties but who cares anything is better then the burning garbage we're getting served now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Let's look at the benchmark...Rick Pitino makes $1.1M at Iona. There is no way that Tom Crean (or Bruce Weber) are going to take anything less than half that (and I doubt they would go that low) and there is no way Valpo is going to pay $550K plus benefits, bonuses, etc. (plus severance terms). This will not change unless you have a spare $1M+ to donate to the athletic department.

usc4valpo

Time for a reality check gang - in my opinion in the MVC, Valpo is going to have to fork out a $500 to $600k annual salary to compete to get a decent coach, including retreads. If Valpo is dealing with deltas of $100 k in making their decision, we are in deep trouble.

NotBryceDrew

Crean would be great, he can coach and win (although not a traditional  "Valpo" coach). I don't think it would be a money problem we can offer opportunity and he's already been paid.

VULB#62

Curious about another name:  Ed Shilling. Age 66. Currently an assistant under Bryce at GCU with a ton of HC experience and Indiana connections.  Hard to see him leaving warm AZ, the GCU game environment and MBB budget, but he gets to run a program again. I don't know the guy except for what I first read this morning in his GCU bio. Anybody have thoughts?

tiny707

Again, Valpo will need a coach who is a man of faith. Crean's bio says he is a Christian. Can recruit Indian(IU), Wisconsin(Marquette), Chicago(Dwayne Wade) and Michigan(his brother in law is Jim Harbaugh). Proven head coach and his players loved him(Dwayne Wade and Brian Wardle). GCU is an interesting comment. I think any of their assistants would be a good pic for our type of program. Same could be said for any assistant from the Baylor program.

truth219

Crean  could turn this program around over one summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 19, 2022, 12:05:41 PM
Curious about another name:  Ed Shilling. Age 66. Currently an assistant under Bryce at GCU with a ton of HC experience and Indiana connections.  Hard to see him leaving warm AZ, the GCU game environment and MBB budget, but he gets to run a program again. I don't know the guy except for what I first read this morning in his GCU bio. Anybody have thoughts?

Ed Shilling actually coached Yogi Farrell at Park Tudor School in Indy (2009-2013) during Yogi's sophomore through Senior years in HS. That was after Shilling had been a college head coach. Shilling was head coach at Wright State (1997-2003).
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

elephtheria47

Not enough sun in Valpo to support Crean's tan. Next.

vu84v2

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on December 19, 2022, 11:21:06 AM
Crean would be great, he can coach and win (although not a traditional  "Valpo" coach). I don't think it would be a money problem we can offer opportunity and he's already been paid.

I don't know about Tom Crean, but most people don't accept less money than those they view as their peers. It is not about already having money...it is about how they measure themselves versus their peers.

tiny707