• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

JR Blount 2023/2024

Started by tiny707, December 19, 2022, 03:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Valpopal, I see your logic. Makes complete sense. This is the guy. Iowa State connection with Small, from Milwaukee, played at Loyola, push for Valpo to become more diverse and currently making $275,00.00. Probably would take 400K to run a program. Looks like an excellent recruiter and mentor.

tiny707

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on December 19, 2022, 03:55:47 PM
Valpopal, I see your logic. Makes complete sense. This is the guy. Iowa State connection with Small, from Milwaukee, played at Loyola, push for Valpo to become more diverse and currently making $275,00.00. Probably would take 400K to run a program. Looks like an excellent recruiter and mentor.
Iowa State's 2023 recruiting class is apparently regarded among the finest in the country and Blount gets a fair share of the credit.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on December 19, 2022, 09:34:17 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on December 19, 2022, 03:55:47 PM
Iowa State's 2023 recruiting class is apparently regarded among the finest in the country and Blount gets a fair share of the credit.

YES!  This guy is exactly what Valpo needs. Go to the Iowa State site and read his bio. Multiple assistant coaching posts under multiple HCs in progressively larger programs. Helped ISU do a one year turn-around from 2 wins to over 20 wins. He's ready. Paid his dues.  And I bet he's chomping.

usc4valpo

Sounds like a decent candidate. My advice above all is to not select within the Valpo family or connections with Valpo.

Again the big question is if Valpo is going to be frugal in this coaching change.

vu72

Seems like a great fit but remember what Indiana State did by hiring Josh Schertz.  A D2 legend who has turned that ship quickly and no doubt will be in the hunt for a Valley title.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I agree with USC.

Constantly saying we need to pick past players who are coaching is short sighted. IF we want to be a big time program we need to act like it vs playing only in house to respect "Family".

tiny707

Iowa State beat #12 Baylor yesterday 77-62.

usc4valpo

Maybe there are talks happening under the surface. My feeling is that Blount will likely want more than what Lottich is currently making, or a base salary similar to Lottich with bonuses based on performance.

I have a bad feeling nothing will change since that's how Valpo does things and they are penny wise and dollar foolish.

tiny707

Iowa State moves to #25 team in the country after beating Baylor.

vu72

I caught part of the BIG game between Purdue and Rutgers.  Robbie Hummel was on the job.  Wonder if he would be interested?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

Robbie is a great guy but has no coaching experience. He has a good gig and I don't see him giving that up for the mess at Valpo.

usc4valpo

Valpo should relieve Lottich now and start the hiring process and get a head start. Makes no sense to keep this going.

tiny707

Iowa State beats #17 TCU on the road. Undefeated in Big 12 play and 10-2. Fun.

valpo64

What's all the talk about JR Blount?  Where has he coached at the head coach level?  I know he is one of the Asst. Coaches at ISU but why all of a sudden is all the talk about him?  Just wondering.

tiny707

Valpo 64 see start of thread to see why JR Blount makes sense. Valpopal put it out there on another thread and it seemed logical to me. Main concern is no head coaching experience like Greg Tonagal has and current Indiana State coach had.

usc4valpo

Well, Jon Scheyer has no head coaching experience and look where he is. Maybe being mentored by a great coach or with a great program is enough.

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on January 09, 2023, 11:32:14 AM
Valpo 64 see start of thread to see why JR Blount makes sense. Valpopal put it out there on another thread and it seemed logical to me. Main concern is no head coaching experience like Greg Tonagal has and current Indiana State coach had.
Here is my comment from that other thread:

If there is a coaching change, three criteria will be in play. 1) Charles Small will depend on his personal connections, and those Valpo connections of the past fans remember (Tonagel, Diebler, etc.) will matter much less than links to Small's background at Iowa State (or Arkansas and Pittsburgh). 2) Even if VU wanted them, Valpo will not have the money to consider top tier former head coaches (like Crean or Weber); and if the university did pay a large sum, the faculty would revolt. 3) Small's history as a Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, as well as Padilla's emphasis on DEI, would likely be a part of what shapes their decision.

For instance, the type of individual Valpo probably would seek would be a successful assistant coach like Iowa State's JR Blount, a former player at Loyola, a former assistant coach at Drake, and the leader for a social justice program while an assistant coach at Colorado State, where he also apparently had a good reputation as a recruiter. I'm not saying he would be hired; I am just speculating, citing him as an example of the level we might expect in a candidate.     

valpo64

Sorry I didn't check back earlier in this thread regarding Blount. He sure has had exposure to "The Valley".  I also believe that Tonagel would receive consideration if he is interested and if the job opens ;).   Greg certainly has had remarkable success at IW.  Perhaps it is still too early to pronounce final judgement on the IN ST situation but so far they appear to be doing well in their overhaul program with the promotion of their Coach up to the D-1 level.

Dr. T

Honest question: How much does Lottich make?

tiny707

Lottich makes $346,334.00 a year.

tiny707

Iowa State now ranked#14 in the country.

usc4valpo

My feeling is that you'll need more than $346k to get Blount

elephtheria47

I think Michael Lewis is a pretty good comparison. From Indiana, played at IU, spent time as an asst at 5 different schools (last 3 were Butler, Nebraska, UCLA), before becoming the Ball State coach this year.

Per The Star Press newspaper, "Lewis, of course, leads the way with a $335,000 base salary, which comes with an annual supplemental compensation of $100,000 in Year 1 and is increased by $10,000 every year after. Lewis' contract also comes with incentive pay each season, which could push his annual salary well above $500,000."

I feel Valpo will have to get creative with a heavily incentivized contract if they want to grab a high major assintant coach.

valpo95

FWIW, openthebooks.com has JR Blount making $290,865.42 in 2022 as an assistant coach.

It is likely he would take the phone call about a job at VU, yet whether or not he would take the job (or at a salary VU could afford) is a different question.

The larger point is that our new AD will hopefully have the experience and network to successfully execute a head coaching search.