• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Sycamores visit the ARC -- 1 pm New Year's Day

Started by humbleopinion, January 01, 2023, 08:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Team is in rough shape. The hire of Lottich was bad. Labarbaras hires as a whole were bad despite what was incumbent.

He did a good job getting Valpo to the doormat of the MVC. I am hoping school starts getting resourceful or a declined basketball program with dwindling enrollment could bode bad news

usc4valpo

What is worse 16 is that the student body is apathetic toward basketball and have more concern promoting the stupid dog mascots. Padilla has a huge challenge ahead getting this university in decent shape.

beacons23

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 01, 2023, 05:52:25 PM
Team is in rough shape. The hire of Lottich was bad. Labarbaras hires as a whole were bad despite what was incumbent.

He did a good job getting Valpo to the doormat of the MVC. I am hoping school starts getting resourceful or a declined basketball program with dwindling enrollment could bode bad news

None of the media asks any tough questions ...all softballs...and our announcers make excuses....

usc4valpo

Beacons23 - not sure I completely agree. Paul Oren was pretty darn objective today. I agree with you on the Media and announcers non critical attitude. This big issue is lack of interest. Hopefully big changes ahead.

AlaskaCrusader19

A new coaching staff won't have an easy job ahead of him, but you'd have to think that Padilla/Small are at the point of no return here. It's clear that Matt Lottich isn't going to bring Valpo into the top half of the Missouri Valley. The recruiting, the development, the in-game coaching and the game planning simply aren't there.

valpopal

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on January 01, 2023, 08:18:52 PM
A new coaching staff won't have an easy job ahead of him, but you'd have to think that Padilla/Small are at the point of no return here. It's clear that Matt Lottich isn't going to bring Valpo into the top half of the Missouri Valley. The recruiting, the development, the in-game coaching and the game planning simply aren't there.
According to the current NET rankings, Valpo would not even crack the top half of the Horizon League. VU would place 9th.

AB

Fine line between being critical and being objective. You still want the coaching staff too feel open/comfortable enough to talk. This isn't a power 5 team where you have multiple media members/beat writers and radio covering the team. The team and radio travel on the plane together. Don't want to create a tense environment.

usc4valpo

It may be tense with conversations with Padilla and Small. If this continues I feel we'll see a change. It's overdue.

vu72

Great news!  I wasted over three hours of my life I'll never regain, watching our mens and woman's teams get blown out.  Interestingly enough, by all most the same score. Dr. Small is now getting use to the Valpo dilemma:  Terrible teams results.  Get use to the winter basketball teams because softball and baseball are coming up quickly.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: mj on January 01, 2023, 03:37:42 PMI agree that Indiana State isn't the most talented team. But they get those most out of that talent. I don't understand Valpo's rotations at all. I know that we have zero depth but why did Hedstrom not play at all today?
I'll offer an opinion....and I don't think it's a positive for the program.

He stinks. He hasn't spent much time on the floor but I don't think there was a second of any play I've seen from him in which I thought he could be of any value at all whether defensively, offensively or shifting down a chair when a player comes back to the bench.

David81

Both President Padilla and AD Small seem to have these competitive, can-do streaks. And both have been around the block a bit, in significant university positions. I'm sure that whatever we're seeing, they're seeing. And neither is here to let VU's sports program deteriorate on their watch. That said, they're not going to be sharing their private thought bubbles and conversations with us. We'll know something when they want us to know it (unless Paul O. gets a scoop).

I'll change my tune if we get more of the status quo during the off-season. But I don't think that will happen. For now, I hope this team does as well as it can, for the sake of its fans, the school, and the players and coaches -- who seem to be handling the adversity of this season with class.

mj

We're now shooting 18% from 3 during conference play. (14-76)

Green is 15% (4-27)
Barrett is 11% (1-9)
Hedstrom is 100%! (2-2)

Apparently the lid on the basket has been welded shut. Yikes.

I believe that we will win.

Valpo89

Quote from: AB on January 01, 2023, 09:15:55 PM
Fine line between being critical and being objective. You still want the coaching staff too feel open/comfortable enough to talk. This isn't a power 5 team where you have multiple media members/beat writers and radio covering the team. The team and radio travel on the plane together. Don't want to create a tense environment.
The Post Tribune stopped covering the team last year. The Times basically stopped covering the team last year, when Paul Oren left to start The Victory Bell. The Times coverage isn't going to get any better for a couple reasons - 1. The team stinks; 2. The Times laid off its long-time sports editor, it currently has a young guy who has only been around for about one year and he's probably overwhelmed just trying to get a paper out every day. Bad Beacons teams are not going to be high on the coverage list.
So, there IS no one to ask tough questions. PO does as much as he can. The newspapers not covering the team, I believe, contributes to the lack of attendance. Only die-hards like people on this board actually know the schedule. It's a death spiral.

vu72

Quote from: mj on January 01, 2023, 11:40:35 PM
We're now shooting 18% from 3 during conference play. (14-76)

Green is 15% (4-27)
Barrett is 11% (1-9)
Hedstrom is 100%! (2-2)

Apparently the lid on the basket has been welded shut. Yikes.

Worse yet is Kobe shooting 0% in conference play--now 0-7,  Part of the problem is these guys are in and out so much they can't find a rhythm and Ben, notwithstanding how hard he worked on the 3 ball in the off season, isn't the answer.  I would go with Nelson a lot more.

Mark LaBarbera wasn't a basketball man, Charles Small is and can see the issues as good as anyone.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2023, 10:24:40 AM
Worse yet is Kobe shooting 0% in conference play--now 0-7,  Part of the problem is these guys are in and out so much they can't find a rhythm and Ben, notwithstanding how hard he worked on the 3 ball in the off season, isn't the answer. I would go with Nelson a lot more.
Although there is a problem, I don't see the "in and out" status as the issue for King, Green, or Krikke. They are the three players getting the most time on the court. Minutes played per game in conference play: King (37.6), Green (31.5), and Krikke (37.8). Yet, the trio are just 6-41 (14.6%) from three-point range, with Krikke actually shooting best at 28.6%. Nelson (3-8) is only one shot better than Krikke (2-7).     

valpofb16

The portal and lack of community support are killing Valpo athletics.

No newspaper covering the only division one product in the region is an awful sentiment. You would think a town of Valpos size would really embrace the University and revenue it could bring in, however it has gone the opposite direction.

Off campus housing is a pain to get, no newspaper coverage, no regional TV deal.
It is mind boggling why there isn't more of an effort.

The portal is allowing every player who over achieves as an underclassmen or isn't a fit to move on immediately. Valpo is left getting busts (harsh term but yes a P5 transfer to a mid major is a bust) from larger schools, or taking a chance on fliers / over achievers from small majors or juco.

Valpos arguably becoming one of the hardest schools to win at and it is for these reasons. A completely ill timed rebranding. Lack of alumni / student support, and still rising(!) tuiton. That athletics are looking doom and gloom

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on January 02, 2023, 11:32:56 AM
Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2023, 10:24:40 AMWorse yet is Kobe shooting 0% in conference play--now 0-7,  Part of the problem is these guys are in and out so much they can't find a rhythm and Ben, notwithstanding how hard he worked on the 3 ball in the off season, isn't the answer. I would go with Nelson a lot more.
Although there is a problem, I don't see the "in and out" status as the issue for King, Green, or Krikke. They are the three players getting the most time on the court. Minutes played per game in conference play: King (37.6), Green (31.5), and Krikke (37.8). Yet, the trio are just 6-41 (14.6%) from three-point range, with Krikke actually shooting best at 28.6%. Nelson (3-8) is only one shot better than Krikke (2-7).
I'm in agreement here. It's not a continuity issue. It's a talent issue. It is difficult to win with 2 1/2 players on the roster worth anything more than the occasional period of solid play. Green was mentioned earlier as a guy who'd started to play well which is true. Problem is that one fault with some players can be consistency so he follows up a few good games with a down in the dumps game.

David81

Quote from: JD24 on January 02, 2023, 05:00:22 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 02, 2023, 11:32:56 AM
Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2023, 10:24:40 AMWorse yet is Kobe shooting 0% in conference play--now 0-7,  Part of the problem is these guys are in and out so much they can't find a rhythm and Ben, notwithstanding how hard he worked on the 3 ball in the off season, isn't the answer. I would go with Nelson a lot more.
I'm in agreement here. It's not a continuity issue. It's a talent issue. It is difficult to win with 2 1/2 players on the roster worth anything more than the occasional period of solid play. Green was mentioned earlier as a guy who'd started to play well which is true. Problem is that one fault with some players can be consistency so he follows up a few good games with a down in the dumps game.

If VU had a genuine star who can carry the team on his shoulders and inspire others to step up, this could be a darn good team with Krikke, King, and Edwards surrounding him. But this raises my biggest concern about the competitiveness of mid-majors: A team with a Drew, Broekhoff, Peters, or JFL, plus a solid surrounding cast, can compete for post-season play. But if they can't sign and retain that kind of player through graduation, it's not going to happen.

elephtheria47

That model is dead. If you have a mid major star, you will lose him. Need to create a positive and winning atmosphere to win the transfer portal and to built the next man up mentality. While the portal has plenty of negatives, it also allows a program to turn itself around quickly. Which one do we want to be.

VULB#62

Quote from: elephtheria47 on January 02, 2023, 07:52:48 PM
That model is dead. If you have a mid major star, you will lose him. Need to create a positive and winning atmosphere to win the transfer portal and to built the next man up mentality. While the portal has plenty of negatives, it also allows a program to turn itself around quickly. Which one do we want to be.

If  ............   you have the MONEY to underwrite that kind of tumultuous environment.

I absolutely, positively HATE this S#*+  !!! 

Sorry everyone. Valpo currently is not, IMO, institutionally, culturally or financially equipped to competitively play in this hardball arena.  Unless, that is, it can find several million in cash right now to turn this aircraft carrier headed over Niagara Falls around.

Now, excuse me while I grab my mixed metaphors and retreat down to my cave and play old videos of the Drew, Rowdy, and Peters eras — when things were more predicable and the world was simpler.

JD24

Quote from: elephtheria47 on January 02, 2023, 07:52:48 PMThat model is dead. If you have a mid major star, you will lose him. Need to create a positive and winning atmosphere to win the transfer portal and to built the next man up mentality. While the portal has plenty of negatives, it also allows a program to turn itself around quickly. Which one do we want to be.
I had posted in another earlier thread that it will likely take a coach and staff which can, on an annual basis, put together a roster from scratch and make it jell quickly. There will likely be no player development to any great degree.

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 02, 2023, 08:50:07 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on January 02, 2023, 07:52:48 PM

If  ............   you have the MONEY to underwrite that kind of tumultuous environment.

I absolutely, positively HATE this S#*+  !!! 

Sorry everyone. Valpo currently is not, IMO, institutionally, culturally or financially equipped to competitively play in this hardball arena.  Unless, that is, it can find several million in cash right now to turn this aircraft carrier headed over Niagara Falls around.

Now, excuse me while I grab my mixed metaphors and retreat down to my cave and play old videos of the Drew, Rowdy, and Peters eras — when things were more predicable and the world was simpler.

Well, VULB#62, in addition to visualizing the USS Valpo trying to turn around before it goes over the falls, you further beg the big picture question of whether the transfer portal has changed the D1 game so dramatically that someone like Alec Peters -- whose game matured in part because he was at a mid-major that allowed him to fully develop rather than be a role player, and who graduated a mere 6 years ago -- would no longer stay for four years.

Folks, if this is the new reality, then either the NCAA is going to have to change the portal, or you'll start to see a trickle of more marginal DI programs scaling back to D2 or perhaps even more likely, D3. (I see no glory in being a top D2 school....) Eventually schools like VU will confront the question.

David81

Quote from: JD24 on January 02, 2023, 10:45:38 PM
Quote from: elephtheria47 on January 02, 2023, 07:52:48 PMThat model is dead. If you have a mid major star, you will lose him. Need to create a positive and winning atmosphere to win the transfer portal and to built the next man up mentality. While the portal has plenty of negatives, it also allows a program to turn itself around quickly. Which one do we want to be.
I had posted in another earlier thread that it will likely take a coach and staff which can, on an annual basis, put together a roster from scratch and make it jell quickly. There will likely be no player development to any great degree.

Then that may be the death knell for the VU-type mid-major, i.e., a solid program with some positive history, but not at a level to attract the players it needs to be NCAA tourney-worthy, absent a very lucky year.

Right now, VU's most promising transfer vein is a possibly continuous flow of outstanding D2 players who are ready to be strong role player starters, like Kevion Taylor and Nick Edwards.

JD24

Quote from: David81 on January 02, 2023, 10:55:22 PM
Quote from: JD24 on January 02, 2023, 10:45:38 PM
Then that may be the death knell for the VU-type mid-major, i.e., a solid program with some positive history, but not at a level to attract the players it needs to be NCAA tourney-worthy, absent a very lucky year. Right now, VU's most promising transfer vein is a possibly continuous flow of outstanding D2 players who are ready to be strong role player starters, like Kevion Taylor and Nick Edwards.
For Valpo it is going to be tough. It'll be tough to attact the coach they would need because he may see a situation too tough for him to be successful in. It'll be tough to attact the players needed to be competitive.

I'm not real confident that this gets turned around in the current environment.

oklahomamick

Yea but it's been done before.  Valpo has been successful at basketball for a long long time. 

Yes I know everyone who coached had the same last name. 
CRUSADERS!!!