• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

Much like ND pulling Shrewsberry, if Valpo can pull Powell back here then the only thing to take away from that is Valpo invested significantly into the program. Powell isnt coming back here to take over Valpo in its current form and resources. Schilling would probably come here in the current form so that was a toss up, Diebler wouldn't (and pulled his name), and Powell wouldnt either. If true, this is significant and brighter days are ahead.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

JD24

Fingers are crossed on this one. Let's hope it is Powell.

Is it possible that the school holds this until after the weekend. IOW, to avoid announcing on Good Friday they wait until Monday to announce?

crusader05

I could see them announcing tomorrow but no big press conference or anything until after the Holiday

David81

And if it's Powell, might Krikke and even Doughty be looking at Valpo differently???

VUGrad1314

If it's Powell then why in God's name was he not the coach all along? Why did he turn us down seven years ago only to take us now when we're in a much worse spot as a program? it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I hope it's him because I think he'll be great but why didn't he just take the job in the first place if he wants it now?

NotBryceDrew

All of the players wanted Lottich years ago, Powell was never a strong consideration to my understanding.

Just Sayin

Norlander's latest. Not much new here.

QuoteValparaiso
Out: Matt Lottich
A late firing in the process, but one that came after the buyout dropped, I was told. This is a small-time program (that needs upgrades) with a big-time name at that level. A few early candidates have turned Valpo down, but be on the lookout for this job to close in the coming days.

vuny98

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 07, 2023, 12:54:29 AMIf it's Powell then why in God's name was he not the coach all along? Why did he turn us down seven years ago only to take us now when we're in a much worse spot as a program? it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I hope it's him because I think he'll be great but why didn't he just take the job in the first place if he wants it now?

I had thought the same, but even if he wasn't in consideration, I could imagine the lure of a P5 program as the #2 behind Bryce, the payday that comes with that, and the pathway to a P5 head coach job with that move was enticing. Then that fell apart, he ended up in a good spot in Gonzaga, but it has now been 7 years and he has not gotten a head coach opportunity yet. So if he wants to be a head coach, this may be his best opportunity that has come along. And could be the way he proves to a school like Gonzaga that when Few is done he is ready to take the reigns.

crusader05

I think that also, maybe he knew he wasn't ready yet or had more he wanted to learn/experience before he felt ready.
7 years, career wise, is a really really long time. Someone that turns down a job and than is interested in later doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that the time was not right.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: David81 on April 07, 2023, 12:23:58 AM
And if it's Powell, might Krikke and even Doughty be looking at Valpo differently???

It's possible, but I'm not sure it's worth losing sleep over. Whether Krikke is on the team or not, it's a stretch to think that Valpo will be competitive next season. Doughty? Who knows, but he's not picked up a P6 offer or anything yet.

truth219

With the candidates that have been discussed, I think we will have a banger of a season. If we land Powell we will be Lazarus of the MVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 07, 2023, 12:54:29 AM
If it's Powell then why in God's name was he not the coach all along? Why did he turn us down seven years ago only to take us now when we're in a much worse spot as a program? it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I hope it's him because I think he'll be great but why didn't he just take the job in the first place if he wants it now?

I think you answered your own question. ;)

wh

I just learned that Roger is a Valparaiso University alum. Master of Science Sports Adm Class of 2016. Come back home, Roger!

VALPO LI

Quote from: vuny98 on April 07, 2023, 08:10:10 AM

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 07, 2023, 12:54:29 AMIf it's Powell then why in God's name was he not the coach all along? Why did he turn us down seven years ago only to take us now when we're in a much worse spot as a program? it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I hope it's him because I think he'll be great but why didn't he just take the job in the first place if he wants it now?

I had thought the same, but even if he wasn't in consideration, I could imagine the lure of a P5 program as the #2 behind Bryce, the payday that comes with that, and the pathway to a P5 head coach job with that move was enticing. Then that fell apart, he ended up in a good spot in Gonzaga, but it has now been 7 years and he has not gotten a head coach opportunity yet. So if he wants to be a head coach, this may be his best opportunity that has come along. And could be the way he proves to a school like Gonzaga that when Few is done he is ready to take the reigns.

Quote from: crusader05 on April 07, 2023, 08:15:40 AM
I think that also, maybe he knew he wasn't ready yet or had more he wanted to learn/experience before he felt ready.
7 years, career wise, is a really really long time. Someone that turns down a job and than is interested in later doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that the time was not right.

I think you are right on crusader05.  This article, a few years old talks of Powell's character and decisions he made after Valpo.  Basically he felt he wasn't ready to be a head coach at the time Bryce left for Vandy and coaching with Bryce at the power 5 level was very appealing to Powell.
Scroll down to the Valpo questions.

If all the hype about Powell coming over to Valpo is true, I will be a very ecstatic fan!!!!!

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/LongFormArticle/Roger-Powell-Jr-Gonzaga-basketball-Illinois-basketball-coaching-QA-146908425/#146908425_4

Shine on Vu

crusader05

Whole lot of tweets out from different sources now saying Roger has agreed to terms and will be the next coach

Just Sayin

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on April 07, 2023, 08:22:15 AM
Quote from: David81 on April 07, 2023, 12:23:58 AM

It's possible, but I'm not sure it's worth losing sleep over. Whether Krikke is on the team or not, it's a stretch to think that Valpo will be competitive next season. Doughty? Who knows, but he's not picked up a P6 offer or anything yet.

Doughty only has offers from schools such as:
Team......KP Rank
St. Bonny 201
Ball St. 171
Eastern KY 149
Nicholls St. 263
IUPUI 360
Southern Ind. 285

Heck, Valpo at 292 wouldn't be my first pick either.

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 07, 2023, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on April 07, 2023, 08:22:15 AM
Quote from: David81 on April 07, 2023, 12:23:58 AMAnd if it's Powell, might Krikke and even Doughty be looking at Valpo differently???
Doughty only has offers from schools such as: Team......KP Rank St. Bonny 201 Ball St. 171 Eastern KY 149 Nicholls St. 263 IUPUI 360 Southern Ind. 285 Heck, Valpo at 292 wouldn't be my first pick either.
Not to belabor a point on this particular recruit on a day where other news is far more important to Valpo but this player will have limited fits within the college game unless he either has hidden some ability offensively or develops it and quickly.

VUGrad1314

YES! This is the most excited I've been since that MVC Finals run! This is a terrific hire and I think we're on our way back! Seven years overdue but FINALLY WELCOME HOME COACH POWELL!

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann