• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

Quote from: Chairback on March 30, 2023, 02:23:28 PM
So who is going to break the story first?   Come on PO don't let Norlander beat you to it!  A Victory Bell tweet breaking it helps exposure.   Let's go PO! 

I'm almost certain I won't get the story first. The only thing I beat Norlander in is our mutual love of Guster, even if he rocks the bumper sticker on national TV all the time.

At this level, when agents get involved, they go to the biggest microphone.

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on March 30, 2023, 03:11:24 PM
At this level, when agents get involved, they go to the biggest microphone.

Great statement. Seems like anyone involved gets their fingers into the money pie.

And they (agents) are players in this hiring dance that we on the board haven't even considered/discussed. Not that it's an added expense to Valpo, but an agent is after the biggest payoff and could steer a guy, who would like to take the job, away cuz the agent makes less.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on March 30, 2023, 02:46:56 PM
If they hire Ed Shilling, who does Bryce replace him with? Luke Gore? Matt?

Schilling? Based on what exactly? His 1 stint as head coach at Wright State ended in Matt Lottich-esque fashion, only he was fired with 3 years remaining on his contract instead of 2. Also of note, the Wright State gig ended 20 years ago and he has never resurfaced anywhere as head coach since. Apparently, he's effective at the assistant level or he wouldn't have remained in the sport all these years. I'll give him credit for that.

Schilling was hired to lead the Wright State program on March 19, 1997, taking over for Ralph Underhill.[6] He was the head coach for six seasons and went 75-93 in his six seasons. He was dismissed in 2003 with three years remaining on his contract.

David81

Until I read Paul's Victory Bell piece today, in which he made an impassioned argument in favor of a VU insider (Diebler, Powell, Tonagel), I was agnostic on the question of insider vs. outsider. But now I'm persuaded that if one of these three is available and, frankly, affordable (probably not with Diebler), then it's worth taking that chance.

The risk/reward candidate is Tonagel, because of the level at which he's coached, albeit with remarkable success. But if he got the job and turned the program around, it's not as clear that VU would be just a quick stop along the way, as his faith values would cause him to screen a next potential job with criteria that other coaches might not be applying. The guy has been at Indiana Wesleyan for 18 seasons. I'm sure he's fielded tons of inquiries over the years. Give the man credit: When he finds a place that's right for him, he stays.

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

VULB#62

Quote from: VALPO LI on March 30, 2023, 07:39:36 PM
David81 to your point this old article (2018) touches on all your points you just made.  Tonagel is growing on me.

https://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/03/14/tom-davis-indiana-wesleyan-coach-greg-tonagel-just-keeps-winning-and-being-ignored/

I read that story before, but the fact that Greg did some fishing in the transfer portal and pulled in some quality talent, didn't register till now. That is a prerequisite for coaching today's mid- majors. It's clear that he is a culture builder. His kids play hard for him.

RS

Tonagel is sounding better to me also. How about Greg as head coach and a couple of his former team mates as assistant coaches. Lubos Barton and Jared Nuness. Lubos would have excellent Europe ties while Jared recruits well in the midwest. Greg has his Indiana connections and keep Luke as the associate head coach if he wants it. Luke has done very well recruiting Canada.

tiny707

WH, I agree on Ed Schilling. I still prefer Brad Korn and then Greg Tonagel. I want a proven head coach that can turn a program around. Assistant coach is a crap shoot.

wh

I want someone who is over-the-top thrilled to assume the role of head coach at Valparaiso University. Someone who can't wait to get here. Overachiever. Relentless recruiter. Adept at teaching fundamentals like proper shooting technique, positioning, boxing out, swarming the ball, etc.

VULB#62

In your opinion, WH, who from the rumored candidate pool might have these qualities which I also would love to see exhibited on the the ARC floor on game day.

Just Sayin

Quote68. Brad Korn (Southeast Missouri State)
Make no mistake – every coach on this list has done something right. They've led their team to March Madness when nearly 300 other coaches couldn't say the same. However, with a career record of 44-50 and no 20-win seasons, Korn gets last place. For what it's worth, the Redhawks have improved every year since he's been there.
https://cbbreview.com/2023/03/14/march-madness-2023-ranking-head-coaches/

valpofb16

Mentioned Steve Lutz a few weeks ago from Corpus Christi. Would be a home run hire

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 30, 2023, 09:04:56 PM
Mentioned Steve Lutz a few weeks ago from Corpus Christi. Would be a home run hire

Steve Lutz stresses importance of people as he takes over at Western Kentucky

QuoteLutz agreed to a four-year deal with an annual base salary of $650,000.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2023/3/21/23649104/steve-lutz-stresses-importance-of-people-as-he-takes-over-at-western-kentucky

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 30, 2023, 08:52:26 PM
In your opinion, WH, who from the rumored candidate pool might have these qualities which I also would love to see exhibited on the the ARC floor on game day.

Well, I don't know enough about some of these guys to say, but I do know this. All 3 of our Valpo-connected guys check every box.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on March 30, 2023, 09:58:31 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 30, 2023, 08:52:26 PM

Well, I don't know enough about some of these guys to say, but I do know this. All 3 of our Valpo-connected guys check every box.

I was thinking along the same lines. I'd add Ben McCollum, but it's more of a hunch based on his incredible D-II resume from his first year as a HC, he, like Greg, has never had a losing season in well over 10 years of being the head guy. And all four are young.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 30, 2023, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: wh on March 30, 2023, 09:58:31 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 30, 2023, 08:52:26 PMIn your opinion, WH, who from the rumored candidate pool might have these qualities which I also would love to see exhibited on the the ARC floor on game day.
I was thinking along the same lines. I'd add Ben McCollum, but it's more of a hunch based on his incredible D-II resume from his first year as a HC. He, like Greg, has never had a losing season in well over 10 years of being the head guy. And all four are young.
McCollum reportedly turned down the Univ. of Buffalo job and that eventually went to Villanova assistant George Halcovage

usc4valpo

Ben McCollum loves his job at Northwest Missouri State, and not desperate to move up unless it is the right fit. If Valpo hired him it would be a home run.

tiny707

We are moving slower than Buffalo and Temple hires. Probably means targets are passing..

valpo64

That is not necessarily true.  Whatever time it takes, let's do the job right and get a good fit for our unique situation at Valpo.  But I sure hope we get the thing settled real soon.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tiny707 on March 31, 2023, 09:46:03 AM
We are moving slower than Buffalo and Temple hires. Probably means targets are passing..
Maybe, but sometimes college basketball can be quite regional. Temple hired a Penn State assistant and Buffalo hired a Villanova assistant. I have no idea who Valparaiso is targeting, but I wouldn't be shocked if those two weren't candidates.

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on March 31, 2023, 09:46:03 AM

Unlike state schools, Dr. Small has a specific hiring requirements unique to Valpo.  Including the candidate understanding and accepting the faith based nature of the position.  Add to that the small town environment, the academic standards required of recruits and the limited budget, and yes, we are moving slower than Buffalo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

State schools probably have similar hiring processes.

It comes down to budget and this is a very low paying high mid major job. Point and case Western Kentucky signing a coach to 300k more than Lottich made from a small major.

The Western Kentucky salary is a slight bump from what I've seen some power 5 assistants earning (Knight , Powell?)

Valpo will get a small division coach or an incumbent assistant at 300k. People don't take 2-300k pay cuts for non guaranteed success

crusadermoe

Yes, that's logical.  Put me down for Tonagel as I have recommended for two years if Matt left.  Greg has passion, the home state "Hoosier" grit. It's tempting to go outside the VU community. But honestly you would need immense Valpo passion to coach in the ARC with shaky promises to build new.   

The guy who was expected to take the Temple job pulled away due to administrative turmoil.  How does three years of university deficits and a campus roiled with a faculty petition drive compare to Temple?  I don't know.

JD24

Were any of the assistants named interim HC after Lottich was fired? I didn't see it if that were the case. That's often done when a school wants to hold the roster together while they bring in a new staff. So this could be a sign that the expectation is a blow it up and start over path is wanted by Small, et al.

JD24

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 31, 2023, 11:47:13 AMYes, that's logical.  Put me down for Tonagel as I have recommended for two years if Matt left.  Greg has passion, the home state "Hoosier" grit. It's tempting to go outside the VU community. But honestly you would need immense Valpo passion to coach in the ARC with shaky promises to build new. The guy who was expected to take the Temple job pulled away due to administrative turmoil.  How does three years of university deficits and a campus roiled with a faculty petition drive compare to Temple?  I don't know.
Buffalo reportedly had three candidates turn them down prior to hiring Halcovage