• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs UIC 1/16 @6pm CST at the ARC!

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 17, 2023, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: wh on January 18, 2023, 01:41:45 PM
Over the years the book on Matt Lottich on this board is that he is a good recruiter but a poor coach. I'm general the hope has always been that his coaching would rise to the level of his recruiting. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the opposite has occurred.

Think back to the '19-20 roster that played in the tournament championship game. Javon, Ryan Fazekas, John Kiser, then freshmen Donovan Clay and Ben Krikke, Eron Gordon, Nick Robinson, Mileek McMillian. Other than Ben and Kobe, who on this year's team would even sniff the court on that '19-20 team? That's how far the talent level has fallen off in only 3 seasons.

So where will we be next year? No Ben, no Kobe, no Edwards, no Green. What's left is closer to a D-2 roster than a competitive high mid major roster. Beyond that we have two 2-star commits and whoever they can pluck from the portal, which is now apparently limited to former D-2 players. Unless something changes, next year's team will likely be Matt's worst yet.

I like Matt personally, but the program is in free fall in every dimension. I'll leave it to the AD and President to figure out what to do about it, but "we have a problem, Houston" comes to mind in describing the gravity of the current situation.

I'm not sure that I buy the theory that he's a good recruiter, either. While he's lost more than a fair share of players to transfer, it's not like he's replacing them with better talent (either through HS or the portal).

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 18, 2023, 01:41:45 PMwe have two 2-star commits and whoever they can pluck from the portal

Actually there are three signees.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/21657/valpo-mens-basketball-inks-trio-to-nlis/

As for Ben leaving, who knows.  It has been reported that he is in a relationship with a Volleyball player who will be back so there's that.

Of the new recruits, Zane Doughty amy be the best. he is a 6'9" center, who is the leading scorer 13.3 ppg, rebounder, 9.3 and shot blocker, 3.1, for Ben Davis, Indiana's top ranked,undefeated Big school team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

David81

I'm pulling for the team to finish the season respectably. If this cloaks an obvious need for change, then those making the decisions need to look deeper.

Just this month, we've seen one P5 player arrested for capital murder (Darius Miles, Alabama) and one P5 head coach dismissed following domestic violence allegations (Chris Beard, Texas). And even beyond those exceptional examples, big time D1 MBB can give off a bad smell.

VU doesn't have to worry about such stuff with its head coach and players. While only a miraculous remainder of the regular season and a post-season run would justify sticking with the status quo, I hope that everyone on the team can finish up with heads held high. As I've said before, character counts, or at least it should.

valpotx

Yay, we won't go 1-19 in MVC play!

Krikke should go pro after the season.  You never know what can happen in athletics, so he should strike while his stock is high.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: David81 on January 18, 2023, 11:21:08 PM
I'm pulling for the team to finish the season respectably. If this cloaks an obvious need for change, then those making the decisions need to look deeper.

Just this month, we've seen one P5 player arrested for capital murder (Darius Miles, Alabama) and one P5 head coach dismissed following domestic violence allegations (Chris Beard, Texas). And even beyond those exceptional examples, big time D1 MBB can give off a bad smell.

VU doesn't have to worry about such stuff with its head coach and players. While only a miraculous remainder of the regular season and a post-season run would justify sticking with the status quo, I hope that everyone on the team can finish up with heads held high. As I've said before, character counts, or at least it should.

Being reminded that becoming a perpetual bottom feeder in your league is preferable to murder and domestic violence, while undeniable, doesn't bring me much comfort about where we are right now.

usc4valpo

81, that's great but that sounds so Valpo. Character is always imperative, but that should not justify performance. If a student makes it to class on time everyday but cannot comprehend the material, does that suffice for a passing grade?

David81

Ah, c'mon, some of youse guys are missing the point.  :) Character + winning would be the best combo, of course. And in no way do I suggest that we should be happy with a losing team simply because they happen to be decent human beings.

But I'm also well aware of the problems that do crop up at other schools, because they're willing to compromise on certain standards in order to maximize their chances of winning. So even during a bad run of seasons that appear to be leading to some major changes soon, we can at least wish this team well down the home stretch.

That doesn't change the sense of urgency that many of us feel in terms of the challenges of turning this program around. By tip-off time next fall, we'll have a pretty darn good idea of how the current University leadership regards the men's basketball program.

usc4valpo

Thanks 81, my concern is evaluating just on character. Valpo has consistently been over patient and forgiving on decisions like this.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 19, 2023, 06:01:10 PM
Thanks 81, my concern is evaluating just on character. Valpo has consistently been over patient and forgiving on decisions like this.

I sense that has been more of a problem with the football program, but in this instance the mistake was the contract extension that instantly carried significant financial implications in the event of a termination.