• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Sneak Attack Thread (As Commanded) Bradley Game

Started by historyman, February 20, 2023, 04:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. T

@VU72 - sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree if you honestly accept a 10-point loss to a conference opponent AT HOME. Come on. Are we seriously at that point, expectations-wise? Their Away record is 8-4. Yes, they're on a 9-game winning streak. But what about the intangibles? Senior night at Valpo, for one.

Look at Bradley's prior away games:

• 2 pt win v. Southern Illinois (2-19-23)
  • 18 pt win v. Illinois State (2-8-23)
  • 8 pt win v. UNI (2-4-23)
  • 7 pt win v. UIC (1-29-23)

valpopal

With this last home game of the season, the average attendance per game rests at 1625, thanks mostly to the one big attendance game of 3137 against Drake, when many of their team fans and followers of their local recruits filled the stands. Otherwise, the season average would have been about 1500 in a winter that has had good weather throughout. In fact, my snowblower sits full of gas and unused thus far at the end of February.

VALPO LI

1,625 is sad. That means the ARC was at an average of only 33% full to capacity for the season.  There was only one home game out of 15 where the the gym was half full with spectators.  The Business School should conduct an exercise with every class next semester to see why this business model is failing.
Shine on Vu

oklahomamick

Difficult to ask for a new a gym it we only using 33% of it.
CRUSADERS!!!

Dr. T

Watched the game ... it's whatever at this point. What I do not appreciate, however, are the same exhausted excuses from ML in the postgame press conference.

"It's hard to lose senior night um but I was very very fortunate that we were actually able to play with what was going on actually didn't think it was going to happen there ... and it was nice that I thought all our seniors actually played pretty well um I think Bradley is um they're an extraordinarily good team ... it's hard to simulate their physicality coming in ... and I think we ended up winning the second half ..."

Sigh ... but, what really got me were ML's comments about the transfers: "...you know it just takes a while and that's what you know a little bit challenging right with the transfer portal because it just takes time ..."

No. Sorry but no. WELCOME TO COLLEGE ATHLETICS IN 2023!!!! It's a different ball game, dude. Figure it out. You make over $300k a year to FIGURE it out. Quit with the excuses. As an AD, there's NO WAY I could continue accepting public excuses such as these when it's a habitual pattern.

If you can't figure it out, find someone else who is willing to do so! You're in the top 5% of earners. 95% of folks make less money than you and have to make much more difficult decisions with real repercussions. Just tired of it.

Chairback

6pm start games are great for middle school or JV games. Doesn't work for D1 college games.  It's hard to rush from work and get to a game. 

Got a chance to spend some time with a group of current students and asked them why students don't go to games. All said team performance and coaching. They were so matter a fact about it. 

usc4valpo

Lottich has excelled well in applying damage control.

Valpo89

Quote from: Chairback on February 24, 2023, 10:22:19 AM
6pm start games are great for middle school or JV games. Doesn't work for D1 college games.  It's hard to rush from work and get to a game. 

Got a chance to spend some time with a group of current students and asked them why students don't go to games. All said team performance and coaching. They were so matter a fact about it. 
Did anyone notice how a majority of the students who attended the first half of the Bradley game left at halftime?
Only down 12 and they gave up.

Dr. T

I commend Chairback for calling a spade a spade. Seriously ... at what point do these secondary excuses take a back seat to the product on the court? Regardless of the game time being X:00 or Y:00, a losing team is a losing team. That's the most significant part of the problem here... why do people think, for instance, tv time slots aren't released months in advance many times? Because the primetime spots are held for the games that will likely bring in the most viewers. It's a business! That's why some games have the ESPN College Gameday crew present. That's why some games are slotted on ESPN in primetime. That's why some games are relegated to the ACC Network, BIG 10 Network, PAC 12 Network, or solely kicked over to a streaming partner.
It's a business lol... why put a losing product on tv or in prime time slots when you have other options???

Don't you remember when Dicky V came to the ARC in 2011? Why did he come???? Not because of a game starting at X:00 or Y:00. We were a must-watch mid-major with a story to tell!

usc4valpo

I am waiting to hear the spin on how great this program is progressing. I also feel bad for Padilla and Small - I would imagine they would like to improve this but wont have revenue to do this. We are currently operating as a Division 1 program in name only.

Valpo89

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 24, 2023, 03:06:41 PM
I am waiting to hear the spin on how great this program is progressing. I also feel bad for Padilla and Small - I would imagine they would like to improve this but wont have revenue to do this. We are currently operating as a Division 1 program in name only.
Don't you mean "progressing nicely?"

JD24

Quote from: Dr. T on February 24, 2023, 01:00:54 PMI commend Chairback for calling a spade a spade. Seriously ... at what point do these secondary excuses take a back seat to the product on the court? Regardless of the game time being X:00 or Y:00, a losing team is a losing team. That's the most significant part of the problem here... why do people think, for instance, tv time slots aren't released months in advance many times? Because the primetime spots are held for the games that will likely bring in the most viewers. It's a business! That's why some games have the ESPN College Gameday crew present. That's why some games are slotted on ESPN in primetime. That's why some games are relegated to the ACC Network, BIG 10 Network, PAC 12 Network, or solely kicked over to a streaming partner. It's a business lol... why put a losing product on tv or in prime time slots when you have other options??? Don't you remember when Dicky V came to the ARC in 2011? Why did he come???? Not because of a game starting at X:00 or Y:00. We were a must-watch mid-major with a story to tell!
Little bit different animal but there is a 6pm slot for an ESPN game every Saturday which is usually a big matchup.  It is Saturday however. 7pm Eastern is a major TV slot during the week.