• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Regular Season Reflection: Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

Started by Dr. T, February 26, 2023, 09:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. T

11-20 Overall
5-15 in Conference (.250 win %)
8-7 Home Record
2-12 Away Record
1-1 Neutral Record
5 wins in 2023

Before the loss to Murrary State, Valpo came in at 283 NET. 
0-2 in Quad 1 wins
1-7 n Quad 2 wins (James Madison)
0-6 in Quad 3 wins (0-7 after loss to Murray State)
9-4 in Quad 4 wins

272 Ken Pom ranking

22-23 Combined Team Stats: https://cdn.streamlinehosting.net/valpoathletics/6BB84E97-3CBB-47F9-A0CA-84F86E9D55D3/MBBSeasonStats_022623.pdf

tiny707

The light at the end of the tunnel this year is that we finished in 10th place and not in last place. Had we finished in 10th place last year that would have been last place.

oklahomamick

So you're saying we are a bubble team for the NCAAT?

The light at the end of the tunnel is we are one year closer to the exit of Lottich. 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

The record does not speak on the quality of the team. Objectively, with  a 1-15 record in the top 3 quads, thus a very soft schedule, this team is worse than their record.

Let's see how Valpo spins this as a successful season and how things are on the up.

valporun

I guess the only successful thing, in some of your eyes...we didn't have to end the season with a revolving door of Hedstrom, Palm, and Bayu starting at the 5, since Ben didn't have the injury issues that we had at the point guard position. I just wish we didn't have to rely on the transfer portal so much this year. The portal is so much worse than one and done. The portal is a chance from someone who didn't cut it at a high major to get playing time, just wants to finish out his career somewhere, or changed from D-II to D-I because a team in the mid-major ranks had an opening they couldn't fill.

AlaskaCrusader19

11-20, 5-15 MVC. One win outside of Quad 4. Lost to Chicago State, and didn't win a single game against a MVC team that was picked to finish higher than Valpo. This was not a good regular season.

may know

The light at the end of the tunnel is seeing what the new President and new AD do this spring. I'm confident they will make moves to instill hope.

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 27, 2023, 12:01:54 AM
So you're saying we are a bubble team for the NCAAT?

The light at the end of the tunnel is we are one year closer to the exit of Lottich. 

That is pretty sad. The BEACONS are showing no light at the end of the tunnel except for letting their head coach go in due time.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Dr. T

A small sample size, no less, but cathartic since it seems those of us posting all share the same sentiments. Sincerely hoping we can move in a different direction ...

oklahomamick

After 3 years it was pretty obvious on Lottich.  All the signs were there. 

However, there were still some wearing glasses and couldn't see. 

MLB should have to buy out Lottich's contract.  The posters who neglected to see the truth on Lottich and continued to argue need to step up with apologies. 

I think we need a witch hunt....
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 27, 2023, 12:34:09 PMI think we need a witch hunt....
I hope not! As a late convert I might get drug before the courts too.

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 27, 2023, 12:34:09 PMMLB should have to buy out Lottich's contract. 
That is an interesting legal approach. Will William Stoughton get assigned to this case as the judge?

VULB#62

In all candor, when MLB signed Matt to an extension it was deserved. The last year in the HL excluded, his first three MVC seasons met the stated improvement expectations — i.e., the team improved each year in a more highly ranked MVC's standings and added a "bonus" — the run to the championship game in year 4 of his contract.

Since then, however, there has been a steady increase in unmet expectations culminating in this season.  And during this part of his extension it has led to some hindsight remorse. To wit:  Why was Matt's first extension a virtual reprise of the first contract's duration?  Why not add just two years to the original contract with a rolling renewal option in 2 year increments or something like that?  That's the crux isn't it?  VU is in a hard place because of the extension's duration.

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 27, 2023, 12:34:09 PM

MLB should have to buy out Lottich's contract.  The posters who neglected to see the truth on Lottich and continued to argue need to step up with apologies. 

Lottich's Valpo team played for the MVC tournament championship in it's 3rd year in the league. If you thought Lottich was destined to fail at that point, you must be clairvoyant. That said, I admit that no one is better at predicting failure than life's perpetual whiners and critics, especially if they're participants in the process.

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 27, 2023, 01:22:15 PM

Lottich's Valpo team played for the MVC tournament championship in it's 3rd year in the league. If you thought Lottich was destined to fail at that point, you must be clairvoyant.

The college basketball landscape has changed dramatically since Bryce and the Drew family have left town. It occurs to me that if Matt Lottich were transported back in time 12 years with his present levels of knowledge and experience then the relative player stability of that era might provide a better platform for his preferred style of play and development. Not saying he would have equalled the Drew success but maybe closer than now?

AlaskaCrusader19

Lottich's Valpo team played for the MVC tournament championship in it's 3rd year in the league. If you thought Lottich was destined to fail at that point, you must be clairvoyant. That said, I admit that no one is better at predicting failure than life's perpetual whiners and critics, especially if they're participants in the process.

Yes, they played for the Missouri Valley championship, but it's important to note that they still started that tournament playing on Thursday as they finished in the bottom half of the conference in the regular season. You can't take that run away from them, but if they lose to Loyola on the Friday night, does Lottich get extended? Because outside of that run, it's not been pretty.

vufan75

Quote from: may know on February 27, 2023, 10:27:03 AM
The light at the end of the tunnel is seeing what the new President and new AD do this spring. I'm confident they will make moves to instill hope.
I wish I had your confidence about changes. I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

valpopal

Quote from: vufan75 on February 27, 2023, 03:04:38 PM
Quote from: may know on February 27, 2023, 10:27:03 AM
I wish I had your confidence about changes. I hope I am wrong.
We have a university president who has painted himself into a corner economically with the proposed art sale and in whom trust has been significantly eroded among the campus community. We also have an AD whose first significant hire (Elliott Charles as Executive Associate Athletic Director) lasted about a month before disappearing for unknown reasons and memory-holed by the administration. So, based upon these recent actions, my current confidence level is low, and you can color me skeptical.

wh

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on February 27, 2023, 01:58:30 PM
Yes, they played for the Missouri Valley championship, but it's important to note that they still started that tournament playing on Thursday as they finished in the bottom half of the conference in the regular season. You can't take that run away from them, but if they lose to Loyola on the Friday night, does Lottich get extended? Because outside of that run, it's not been pretty.

With the benefit of perfect 20/20 hindsight, obviously the MVC tournament run in 2020 proved to be an anomoly in an otherwise dismal 7 years and counting under Matt Lottich. My only point was that no one - including Mick - could possibly have known that at the time. Admittedly, I continued to support Matt longer than most, partly because I believed in him and partly because I knew that if he didn't succeed, Valpo men's basketball could be set back for years to come. As it has turns out, my worst fears have been realized. Thanks to the wrong coach being supported by an inept athletic department and a former university president who gave nothing more than lip service support, everything that Homer, Scott, and Bryce Drew worked so hard to build over 2 decades has been completely destroyed.

VU2014

It's pretty amazing how much goodwill and capital Lottich has managed to squander the last 7 years with the fan base.

Not everything is his fault, but after 6 straight years of mediocrity it's has sapped the fanbase of any goodwill and feelings. It's truly a sad state for the program to be in.

They will be losing their 2 best players (Krikke isn't coming back if I had to guess). And there are no "star" players on the horizon. Recruits and their advisors have enough tape and a tracker record of Lottich to know the caliber of Coach he is... good guy, but just the qualification of being a nice guy doesn't translate to wins.

This program has literally exhausted me and beat me down as a fan. Anger and has turned into apathy.

Dr. Small and Pres Padilla can talk to me when Lottich leaves town. Sorry to be dramatic but I'm disgusted and over with the Lottich era.

VULB#62

2014 pretty much summed it up. Not anger; apathetic acceptance (especially given the contract issue). I'd add great disappointment in the ability of the athletic department to early on identify, react and right an obvious wayward course that the MBB was pointing toward.

I would also speculate that this season will chill the prospects of recruiting immediate transfer replacements for Ben (if he leaves) and Kobe.

vu72

There is a rumor that the recently departed VP of enrollment--when questioned about the continuing decline in enrollment is said to have uttered..."it's almost comical." Then the door hit him...well, you know.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 27, 2023, 05:58:12 PMI would also speculate that this season will chill the prospects of recruiting immediate transfer replacements for Ben (if he leaves) and Koby.

Barring a huge tournament upside shock (aiding recruitment) or some kind of buyout compromise being reached I see very little chance for the 23-24 team to be an improvement over 22-23. That would mean even further downside for team results and attendance.   :o Because that is unacceptable, negotiations should begin and we (the fans) may need to raise some of the money to help pick up the tab.

JD24

What I'm hearing is that it's possible Valpo doesn't belong in major college sports if the school is in this situation. As others have opined, the problem goes beyond the coach. Other schools would just move on as those schools have the resources. If Valpo can't absorb a coaching change financially, the school should decline to participate.

David81

Given the large number of close contests that VU lost at the end, do folks think that we would've been around a .500 basketball team with better coaching? If the answer is yes, then on the merits, the coaching decision is clear.

But I agree with others that the art sale controversy contributes to an imperfect storm, whereby two constituencies that have been loyal to VU and that VU should embrace in turn may have an unhappy spring.

And...in addition to praising Ben Krikke's grit, work ethic, and relentless desire to improve, I'll say that he gives me hope for VU on another level: He shows that a promising kid with talent can potentially turn himself into a star if he stays. How many people saw in him a potential MVC Player of the Year candidate as a first-year recruit? It won't be everyone who stays for 4 years turns into a star, of course, but other kids must be out there.