• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the decision be?

Started by may know, March 02, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will there be a change at HC?

Yes
8 (38.1%)
No
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 05, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

may know

Not hearing any intel in STL.

If you know the whereabouts of Paul the next 3 days, this thread is open.

valpolaw

There has to be a change. Truly unbelievable that they've allowed this to continue this long

usc4valpo

11-21 with a weak schedule. Except for cash, how can you not expect a change?

VULB#62

Guessing at what kind of guy Matt is, I'd place a (very - hell I'm retired) small wager that he will negotiate a resignation package favorable to Valpo's financial situation that keeps his family afloat while he pursues an assistant job at an established D-I program.  I'm sure he could get a good DII or DIII HC job, but he needs more learning.

No one can criticize his values and integrity. He just wasn't ready and was continually faced with distractions and crap that had a lot to do with his restricted growth progressions. Not excusing stuff, but this whole thing had the hint of a cluster from the outset.  It is dismaying.

4throwfan

62, on that note, I would point out that most agree that there is no nefarious or scandalous issue at hand, and we should be thankful for that.  So, things could be worse.  Valpo could be in a pre-Drew Baylor situation or a Pitino - Louisville situation, or be in a situation where sanctions are imminent.  VU's only problem is deterioration.  Character and integrity of the program is still intact.  We can thank the current staff for being a good caretaker of that.

Simply pointing out that Matt has done a good job in some respects, and should lauded for that.   

Dr. T

I posted these sentiments on another thread; however, they equally apply here:

Another Thursday Arch Madness game. This time, however, against a team that's beaten you 2x (both of which went down to the wire). One of which was a mere matter of days ago. We cannot blame the loss on Valpo having a quick turnaround compared to their opponent since they played each other the last time out. This time around, however, it's an absolute blowout. What an embarrassing way to finish. And, we cannot continue chalking the losses to Murray State up to their former NBA talent. The key word is "former" ... there's no Ja Morant on this team. We didn't even have our band there. We're a shell of a program. A bottom feeder in the valley. Not even competitive tonight against a 7 seed. 28 point loss where Murray State cleared the bench down the stretch. A team that's 17-14. 3 of the 17 wins, by the way, are v. Valpo. Take Valpo out of the equation and they're a 14-14 team. 25 pts in the 1st half & 25 pts in the 2nd half. To a team that's in its first year as a member of the Valley ... playing in its first game of Arch Madness.

Valpo comes to a close with an 11-21 record on the season.

How much worse can it get?

4throwfan

The problem is that it can get much worse.  It may get worse if something is not done to change course.

VU could drop to single digit wins with a still-declining enrollment.  The problem will be harder to correct then.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, thinking that another result will come.

Valpo89

Don't forget, out of the 11 wins, two were non-Division I. So the record is really 9-21.

VULB#62

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 02, 2023, 08:59:26 PM
62, on that note, I would point out that most agree that there is no nefarious or scandalous issue at hand, and we should be thankful for that.  So, things could be worse.  Valpo could be in a pre-Drew Baylor situation or a Pitino - Louisville situation, or be in a situation where sanctions are imminent.  VU's only problem is deterioration.  Character and integrity of the program is still intact.  We can thank the current staff for being a good caretaker of that.

Simply pointing out that Matt has done a good job in some respects, and should lauded for that.

Absolutely. I didn't realize that my words were dissing him. I have great respect for Matt the person.  I am merely saying that he needs to gain more varied experiences to reach his potential. And I, like many on this board, are rooting for him. But he, himself, has got to get out of Valpo, wipe his own slate clean and move on.

4throwfan

Apologies, didn't mean to insinuate that you were dissing.  Rather, I was agreeing with you.

David81

This is the lowest moment of the program's history since some time before guys like Redmon, Schmidt, and Barker donned a VU jersey. And it could get worse.

But sometimes it takes a defeat this resounding to remove any uncertainty about the need for a change. I don't know how it happens or when it happens, but if there are any doubts, maybe someone can put together a highlight reel of that 2 for 23 shooting performance from three-point land. Wow.

Just Sayin

TALK

President Padilla:

"We have to be bold and lean into these challenges.  Part of that is capitalizing on our strengths, which include our strong national brand in basketball.  But as you know, we haven't lived up recently to the legacy of Homer and Bryce Drew.  We're going to have to get much better in that area".

Interview with D1 Ticker: 3/21/22

Q: "How much of a priority is it to you that we get back to the level of success that we've had in the past?"
A: "It is a large priority for me. Because first of all I know what we are capable of doing. ...We punch above our weight and we can continue to do that.  We are gonna have to do a better job of it.
You know, I give all the credit in the world to coach Lottich and what he's done, but the bottom line is that we have to live up to our legacy. And to do that we are going to have to be much more competitive on the basketball floor. So it's very important to me. You know, we're not going to do it all costs of course. But again, I want us to be in situation where somebody will suffer if they ever take us for granted on the basketball court.....  Steph, ...it's always good to be interviewed by a Latina."

ACTION:

None to date.

Chairback

Wonder if the 24 hour rule is in place on announcing something.

You have to think the quicker you announce something, either way, the better.

No way these discussions or plans, either way, are not waiting for the ok to hit the send button.   

Valpo89

Quote from: Chairback on March 03, 2023, 11:44:15 AM
Wonder if the 24 hour rule is in place on announcing something.

You have to think the quicker you announce something, either way, the better.

No way these discussions or plans, either way, are not waiting for the ok to hit the send button.   

The phrase "just rip off the band-aid" comes to mind. Although I did vote No above.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 02, 2023, 08:23:20 PMGuessing at what kind of guy Matt is, I'd place a (very - hell I'm retired) small wager that he will negotiate a resignation package favorable to Valpo's financial situation that keeps his family afloat while he pursues an assistant job at an established D-I program.  I'm sure he could get a good DII or DIII HC job, but he needs more learning. No one can criticize his values and integrity. He just wasn't ready and was continually faced with distractions and crap that had a lot to do with his restricted growth progressions. Not excusing stuff, but this whole thing had the hint of a cluster from the outset.  It is dismaying.
I've seen the "Matt's a nice guy so he'll play along with Valpo" scenario brought up from a few posters. No offense to anyone but I think this is complete nonsense. As a coach he better be a very competitive person and thus in his mind feel that he can improve the situation. If he doesn't, he's in the wrong field. He doesn't owe it to anyone to do anything but accept what is coming to him. If the school was foolish enough to negotiate a contract that did not explore a downside, then they are the fools who have to deal with it.

If the school can't afford the coaching change then they shouldn't be in the business of providing the sport in the first place. It's all part of the game.

JD24

Quote from: Chairback on March 03, 2023, 11:44:15 AMWonder if the 24 hour rule is in place on announcing something. You have to think the quicker you announce something, either way, the better. No way these discussions or plans, either way, are not waiting for the ok to hit the send button.
Isn't there a weather issue in Valpo today? There was something about it on social media. That could affect an announcement.

If there is a change, there will probably be a simple statement released. I wouldn't anticipate a press conference until a new coach is named. So any announcement could come almost at any time. My guess would be Monday if it comes.

If he's staying, there will be no announcement at all. We'll get an interview with Brandon which will touch on whatever positives Lottich can come up with. There will be an interview with Paul which will probably have a little bit more sass to it. Then we move into next year.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 02, 2023, 08:59:26 PM

While I agree with you, let's not act like Dave Bliss Baylor situations are exactly common. Lottich isn't breaking rules, which is a bare minimum expectation.

historyman

Quote from: JD24 on March 03, 2023, 01:53:08 PMIf the school can't afford the coaching change then they shouldn't be in the business of providing the sport in the first place. It's all part of the game.

I'm afraid Valpo is getting periously close to having to abandon athletics altogether. The administration could still save the athletics programs.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpofb16

Brass tax:

Lottich is staying, Valpo has dropped sports. The major investment into Bball as the marquee sport has not worked and is not sustainable.

Need to find equilibrium for student cost / enrollment quick.

I think Valpo. (As said in many a forums). Should find where they are profiting most and quadruple down on that.

Might not be bball, not saying it's football either. If it's Engineering! Let's load up the Engineering school and get as many future alums into it as possible

crusader05

I'm sorry but a slump of 5 years and people here are saying we need to abandon athletics or aren't a real d1 team if we don't do X right away? It sucks right now but we may be extrapolating just a bit.

You can be mad about it and demand better but some of you all need to step away from the board and reorient yourself for a bit.

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on March 03, 2023, 03:57:44 PMI'm sorry but a slump of 5 years and people here are saying we need to abandon athletics or aren't a real d1 team if we don't do X right away? It sucks right now but we may be extrapolating just a bit. You can be mad about it and demand better but some of you all need to step away from the board and reorient yourself for a bit.
I'm quite oriented and the general feeling seems to be not that a slump should have the school abandon athletics, it is not having the ability to rectify the situation financially which should give us pause as to what's really happening here.

valpolaw

Is the university really in that bad of financial shape? I mean I've read it on the board, but if the school is squabbling over 300-400k to buyout a basketball coach, then the entire university has to be in very deep trouble financially. Don't get me wrong 300-400k is a lot but to a university it shouldn't make or break it. If they can't afford to do that, then I won't be surprised if the whole place is closed within 5 years. Between the law school debacle, ridiculous mascot/name change, basketball in the dumps, they aren't really doing much to change the course.

crusader05

I think the school would be able to swallow the funds whether it liked it or not, I think the issue would be the optics with the selling of the paintings even though it's two really separate matters.

Whether they choose to is different though. We all have decided that X decision means Y. But that's just an opinion and an arbitrary line in the sand we are drawing. If in 2 years Lottich is replaced and we start winning again and a new arena is being fundraised for per the strategic plan what would that mean?

AB

So much anger and disappointment right now. It's been a fall from the Rowdy, Buggs, Kenny and Peters years. Seems to be consensus on the pink elephant in the room right now. The real question, will PO get the breaking news first or Jeff Goodman?
The president and AD is in tough position right now. The university has had to let go a lot of top notch professors (law school as well) not making nearly the same coin as the basketball coach. However basketball is one of the most marketable things the university has. The revenue comes back with more butts in seats consistently. Would justify a change. With a misstep and hire the wrong person. Yikes
A successful sweet 16 run/team has if I'm not mistaken boosts applications, enrollment. See George Mason, St. Peters etc. Didn't the Valpo sweet 16 team boost enrollment at VU?