• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Carousel

Started by Dr. T, March 09, 2023, 10:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. T

Currently, there are 17 jobs either open or that have interim coaches in place. The number will undoubtedly increase over the next 48+ hours. There were 60 openings last year & 57 the year prior.

Expect an additional ~40 spots open up. Some programs, like Georgetown, make it clear they will not accept what's below their standard - no matter who you are, if it's your alma mater, or how "big" of
a name you are ... 5/6 seasons will a losing record = Patrick Ewing being fired a day after a blowout loss to Villanova (80-48). All-American, 2-time Olympic gold medalist, Rookie of the Year, 11-time All-Star, and one of the all-time best centers (despite not winning an NBA championship).

Allegedly, if Georgetown were to fire Ewing, here is the buyout total owed to him during each year.

21-22: $18.455 million

22-23: $14.9 million

23-24: $11.25 million

24-25: $7.5 million

25-26: $3.75 million

Point being - what's the standard Valpo sets for its basketball expectations?

vu84v2

To me, Georgetown in the last eight years has been the standard of getting little or no return for its investment in its college basketball program. Georgetown's last winning season in the Big East was 2014-2015 and they held on to Patrick Ewing way too long. They also perpetually play in an empty NBA arena.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 09, 2023, 10:48:51 PM
To me, Georgetown in the last eight years has been the standard of getting little or no return for its investment in its college basketball program. Georgetown's last winning season in the Big East was 2014-2015 and they held on to Patrick Ewing way too long. They also perpetually play in an empty NBA arena.

And Patrick Ewing was always "one ugly dude."

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY ASSOCIATION INC
1700 CHAPEL DRIVE, VALPARAISO, IN 46383 www.valpo.edu

Total Revenue
$192,641,554
Total Expenses
$204,953,827
%Profit/Loss
-6.0%

GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY
2121 WISCONSIN AVE NW STE 400, WASHINGTON, DC 20007 www.georgetown.edu

Total Revenue
$1,684,831,601
Total Expenses
$1,591,528,173
%Profit/Loss
+5.8%

To achieve Georgetown's level of profitability of 5.8%, Valpo needs to increase enrollment by appx. 370 students. Two points:
• The "sales" team needs to increase its yield on an impressive abundance of "hot leads" (approved admissions).
• Adding $700k to the current financial burden for a highly discretionary expenditure would be financial mismanagement bordering on malfeasance IMO.

BTW "sales" by any other name is still  "sales." It's an indispensable business role, comprised of uniquely talented difference makers whom I hold in high regard.

usc4valpo

Valparaiso has to be on the coaching carousel now, wouldn't you think?

NativeCheesehead

Don't know if we're on the carousel, but we've certainly been taken for a ride the last 5 years.

Dr. T

Oh, we're on a carousel - no doubt. How do I know? Because we keep going around & around & around & around without getting anywhere. Just around & around we go. No wonder apathy is king. When on the same ride for this long, the dizziness leads to a state of catharsis. Now, we're just numb to it. For a moment there ... we awoke. But, alas, as nothing changes, we slide back into the normal state of affairs.

Around & around we go ... somehow convincing ourselves that we're progressing nicely. Just keep trusting the process.

VALPO LI

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35835787/buffalo-fires-men-basketball-coach-jim-whitesell-4-seasons

Jim Whitesell is out after 4 years at Buffalo, New York state's flagship University.  He will receive a $500,000 buyout!
Whitesell was an assistant coach at Buffalo before moving up to Head Coach.

"The coaching carousel continues"

https://es.pn/3mz6byV

Shine on Vu

Just Sayin

QuoteAustin Peay has fired men's basketball coach Nate James after only two seasons in Clarksville.

Austin Peay athletics director Gerald Harrison announced Monday that the university decided to end James' tenure after a 9-22 record this season, including a last-place finish in the ASUN with a 3-15 mark. Austin Peay failed to make the conference tournament's 10-team field.

Just Sayin

QuoteEast Tennessee State University announced today that head men's basketball coach Desmond Oliver will not return next season.

"I met with Coach Oliver today, and we discussed the program is not meeting the expectations of the Athletics Department." Dr. Richard Sander, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics for ETSU, said. "We feel that parting ways is the best thing for our men's basketball program and our student-athletes. We wish Coach Oliver the best in his future endeavors."

In two seasons at ETSU, oliver put together a 27-37 (.422) record, including a 12-20 (8-10 SoCon) record this past season.

Just Sayin

QuoteMcNeese State fired basketball coach John Aiken on Wednesday after the Cowboys went 22-45 the past two seasons.

"This is a really hard day for me personally," said athletic director Heath Schroyer, who hired Aiken. "John is a dear friend and a damn good basketball coach. I know John extremely well and I have no doubt he will bounce back, get another opportunity and be successful as a head coach in the future.

Just Sayin

QuoteHoly Cross has parted ways with Brett Nelson.  Nelson was 27-84 in 4 years.

Just Sayin

QuoteGeorgia Southern Men's basketball parts ways with Brian Burg after three seasons

Just Sayin

QuoteUSF fired men's basketball coach Brian Gregory on Friday, one day after his sixth season ended with a 14-18 record and lopsided first-round loss in the American Athletic Conference tournament.

Just Sayin

QuoteMike Brennan was fired as men's basketball coach at American University on Thursday after going 125-166 across 10 seasons.

Just Sayin

QuoteAfter a disappointing end to the 2022-23 season which saw the Falcons lose grip on a potential MAC postseason tournament bid, Bowling Green announced the termination of head coach Michael Huger' on Sunday afternoon, ending a tenure which started back in 2015.

Just Sayin

QuoteHigh Point University has fired head men's basketball coach G.G. Smith.

Smith was in his first full season leading the High Point Panthers basketball team and went 14-17 with a 6-12 record in Big South conference games in the 2022-23 season. He went 3-3 with a 2-3 Big South record in the 2021-22 season after taking over the job mid-season.

Dr. T

Pasted from another thread:

Copy/pasting this from MVCFans:

KenPom/Attendance
'11 95 / 3362
'12 138 / 3383
'13 65 / 3173
'14 163 / 2833
'15 64 / 3066
'16 42 / 3572
[Lottich]
'17 104 / 3086
'18 150 / 2722
'19 220 / 2611
'20 146 / 2797
'21 193 / na
'22 202 / 1758
'23 289 / 1625

The numbers (at least in this case) don't lie. We're not progressing nicely. We're crumbling and nearing a status of being nothing but remnants of a once relatively dominant mid-major on the rise.

As I've said before - ML owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to Alec Peters for getting him through that first year. We all saw vs. Milwaukee and what happened when Alec departed. In hindsight, my oh my, it's worse than we ever imagined.

It's time for a change, Dr. Small! Please. We need a beacon of hope. A light at the end of what's been a dark, tireless tunnel for too long.

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2023, 03:38:38 PM
QuoteHigh Point University has fired head men's basketball coach G.G. Smith.

Smith was in his first full season leading the High Point Panthers basketball team and went 14-17 with a 6-12 record in Big South conference games in the 2022-23 season. He went 3-3 with a 2-3 Big South record in the 2021-22 season after taking over the job mid-season.

One could say that Smith's day was not the high point of his High Point career and also one could say the point of this thread is to show that coaches with higher salaries are getting bought out of their contracts too.

All I know is I wouldn't mind taking a year or two off from a stressful job with full pay.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

If Holtmann moves on, does Jake Diebler get elevated to head coach at Ohio State? If not, as I assume, I guess he follows Holtmann.
[tweet]1635512114554044418[/tweet]

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: valpopal on March 14, 2023, 11:19:24 AM
If Holtmann moves on, does Jake Diebler get elevated to head coach at Ohio State? If not, as I assume, I guess he follows Holtmann.
[tweet]1635512114554044418[/tweet]
Dick Weiss' record on these things isn't great. He was one of the guys who was certain that Matt Painter was leaving Purdue for Missouri back in the day. Nonetheless, no way Ohio State gives Diebler the head coaching job. They'll get someone more proven.

Dr. T

Let's just hypothetically say Holtmann goes to ND (Side Note: as a person who is rooted in all things Notre Dame, I've yet to hear anything of substance about this).

That said, I'm sure Jake would get an interview at Ohio State. As is, he makes ~$500,000 at Ohio State. That said, who is to say he wouldn't consider following Holtmann to ND? No matter what, Jake will be in good shape whereever he lands.

I'd be SHOCKED if/when he were to ever take a pay cut with more responsibilities & significantly less resources to go back to Valpo or anywhere else for that matter. He's earned his way to get to this point and deserves nothing but the best.

rogerwilco

Holtmann isn't leaving OSU, especially with their incoming recruiting class.