• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MATT LOTTICH HAS BEEN FIRED!

Started by VU2014, March 23, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

My take on the on the Trilly Twitter post is that Roger Powell is a no(happy at Gonzaga), Jake Diebler is a no(money) and I think the assistant from Rutgers is a no(money).

vok22

Quote from: wh on March 29, 2023, 08:32:32 PM[tweet]1641240725235826688[/tweet]?s=20

There is absolutely ZERO chance they are considering Todd Lickliter. So help them if they are.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on March 29, 2023, 08:29:25 PMMy take on the on the Trilly Twitter post is that Roger Powell is a no(happy at Gonzaga), Jake Diebler is a no(money) and I think the assistant from Rutgers is a no(money).
Well then the board collectively should put together a twitter account since these 3 were pretty easy to figure out for many on the board.

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 29, 2023, 08:21:22 PMhttps://twitter.com/BruceinNJ/status/1641240725235826688
I hope this Davis cat has no idea what he's talking about.

Bring in either a successful lower level head coach or an assistant looking for a shot. Not the retread brigade.

tiny707

Brad Korn is a successful lower level coach.

vok22

I hadn't heard of Korn before, but after some research I am intrigued. Turned around dreadful SE Missouri State team in three years, culminating in a tournament appearance. Played under Bruce Weber and Matt Painter. Then worked under Bruce Weber and went to multiple NCAA Tournaments as an assistant. Also had some run time as an assistant in the Valley (Missouri State).

tiny707

Vok22, Brad Korn sounds like the best name so far that they may be talking to and may actually be interested. Checks a lot of boxes.

tiny707

Dane Fife, Chris Lowery, Greg Tonagel, Ed Schilling and Terry Johnson I am seeing on Twitter for names.

JD24

Quote from: JD24 on March 29, 2023, 07:23:15 PMAmir Abdul-Rahim went to South Florida and that's a guy I thought Valpo might be interested in.
More on this and likely the reason he wouldn't come to Valpo is that Abdur-Rahim earned $230k at Kennesaw St. last year and he replaces a coach, Brian Gregory, at USF who was signed for over $1mil per. It's thought that this was the starting point for Abdur-Rahim. No way for Valpo on this.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on March 29, 2023, 10:01:27 PMBrad Korn is a successful lower level coach.
True but I was referring to the other guys.

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 29, 2023, 10:35:29 PM
https://twitter.com/theenotoriousjp/status/1641190597728894977?s=61&t=rvVIRCc0Iy1MgHjjNd30UA

Thanks to Chris Lowery — a former Sweet 16 head coach — Northwestern's 'D' never rests

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/3/14/23640288/chris-lowery-northwestern-siu-salukis-march-madness

Lowery could be a great selection. Had some huge years as head coach at SIU around 2005-10 time frame when the MVC was loaded.

valpo64

Paul Oren's last report was a great assessment of the VU situation.  I like his concluding remark.

mj

I think we should go with Greg Tonagel. Why? Because he's already shown that he's loyal.

Valpo will only have sustained success with a coach who's dedicated to staying here. We'll be in the same place in a few years if we hire a coach who views Valpo as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Valpo also has limited resources, so we need a coach who can make more with less.

Hire Tonagel and maybe see if Homer Drew will release a statement announcing his support for him. Hopefully that would fire up the fans.

We shouldn't overthink this.
I believe that we will win.

usc4valpo

Disagree - too much following of the Valpo family for an NAIA coach.

Go with McCollum.

Chairback

Paul's article is absolutely right.  My fav one so far. 

No matter who we bring I would expect a higher salary than ML had.  It's just the way the world is right now.  And to think Dr Small and the board didn't realize and plan for it is foolish.  You don't make a move like this thinking you are going to get a good deal or bargain for head coach.  Funding for it has to be there before you act.  Everyone has a conspiracy theory on the funds, but no one knows. 

He already surprised us with the buyout, I'm sure he has planned for this also.  I think we have the right AD.   Valpo got that right. 

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: mj on March 30, 2023, 07:56:44 AM
I think we should go with Greg Tonagel. Why? Because he's already shown that he's loyal.

Valpo will only have sustained success with a coach who's dedicated to staying here. We'll be in the same place in a few years if we hire a coach who views Valpo as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Valpo also has limited resources, so we need a coach who can make more with less.

Hire Tonagel and maybe see if Homer Drew will release a statement announcing his support for him. Hopefully that would fire up the fans.

We shouldn't overthink this.
Loyalty is great, but Valparaiso is always going to be a "stepping stone" job for coaches if they win at VU.

usc4valpo

we obviously need to get someone to get the job done and align with Valpo's identity, which is another discussion.

valpo64

And as far as being a "stepping stone" position...there is nothing wrong with that.  If you move up, that means you have been successful.  Isn't that what we want?

As far as recruiting goes, very often the assistant coach(es) are the ones who get the job done and rightfully deserve the credit.
(example was Alec Peters.....Roger Powell  was "his man")

VULB#62

Sure, Valpo BB faces budget crunches, poor facilities, a diminishing fan base.  Then there is FAU where BB is a distant second to football - by no means is it a flagship sport.  A shared locker room, crappy 3000 seat gym that hardly anyone goes to to watch games. But they found a heckuva coach and he made it happen when others couldn't. Ya gotta read this story from USAToday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2023/03/30/florida-atlantic-belongs-final-four-shocking-dusty-may/11563008002/

It's. The. Coach. Plain and simple.

valpo95

Quote from: valpo64 on March 30, 2023, 09:35:12 AM
And as far as being a "stepping stone" position...there is nothing wrong with that.  If you move up, that means you have been successful.  Isn't that what we want?

Imagine a future where every 3-5 years Valpo is looking for a new coach because the incumbent gets a P-5 job. In that future, the teams keep winning in the MVC and having regular success in the NCAA tournament. That is a future to which we can aspire.

tiny707

Yes, Valpo is a stepping stone. Like Scott going to Baylor and Bryce going to Vanderbilt.

AB

St. Marys, Gonzaga, Coastal Carolina, UNI. They have stayed the longest at mid major. Beyond that most coaches are all looking to move up to power five. And if you get called to the principals office/FBI Wire taps case.....You go back down to Mid Major...Sean Miller at Xavier., Will Wade to McNeese State. UD wins most years and rarely do the Flyers keep a coach beyond 5, 6 years. If am missing names here, apologies. if so. Soon as you have a break out year or two, you gone. Tobin Anderson gets the record for fastest move up the ladder in 2 years