• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MATT LOTTICH HAS BEEN FIRED!

Started by VU2014, March 23, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

If I'm being fully transparent. I think Jake Diebler checks all boxes for a head coach candidate.

-Young rising star in the coaching ranks.
-experience recruit with Valpo facilities and resources
-knows first hand the challenges the athletics department and the university faces.
-has been an associate HC and filled in for the HC and been the guy at the top seat.
-proven track record in player development
-recruiting ties to the area
-played at the university
-beloved by the fan

usc4valpo

The issue is Diebler has Crown Royal taste and it looks like we have a beer budget.

Saluki

Trust me on this one...you want no part of Chris Lowery. Yes, he had success early off of Weber/Painter players but he left the program a complete wreck.  At the end there were legal troubles all around and the program was facing academic sanctions. The parting words from the AD were that it was time for an adult to lead the program. Maybe he has grown in the 15 years since then, but I would stay well clear of that one.

Pgmado

Quote from: Saluki on March 31, 2023, 02:12:19 PM
Trust me on this one...you want no part of Chris Lowery. Yes, he had success early off of Weber/Painter players but he left the program a complete wreck.  At the end there were legal troubles all around and the program was facing academic sanctions. The parting words from the AD were that it was time for an adult to lead the program. Maybe he has grown in the 15 years since then, but I would stay well clear of that one.

Brandon Wood sprinted as fast as he could from SIU to get away from Lowery. Next, please.

wh

Quote from: Saluki on March 31, 2023, 02:12:19 PM

Yesterday, I posted that Lowery could be a great option. I think I just changed my mind lol. Thanks for the history lesson.

VULB#62

Some coaches are at their best working for someone rather than being "the man." Most, however, don't  always realize who they really are.

Luke, on the other hand, IDK but,  I believe he might be an example of a coach who is comfortable in his skin and enjoys being at the assistant level.  Maybe one day he'll give being a college head coach a shot, or maybe not.

valpotx

I assume that many of you have received the same, but I had a call with Dr. Small the other day, and it was very pleasant.  I didn't want to hammer him with any Men's Basketball HC questions, as I am sure that he is getting more than his fill on that side already.  However, even though I was already very happy about his hire, after this call, I am now even more confident that he will find the right fit for Valpo, and get us back on the winning track!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

So, TX, he came across to you in person on a call with the same character he projects in videos, etc. ?  That's great.

tiny707

If you want to see what Paul, Brandon Wood and Saluki think about Chris Lowery read above comments.

valpolaw

That's not very encouraging if that's who we're hiring

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpotx on March 31, 2023, 07:44:15 PM
I assume that many of you have received the same, but I had a call with Dr. Small the other day, and it was very pleasant.  I didn't want to hammer him with any Men's Basketball HC questions, as I am sure that he is getting more than his fill on that side already.  However, even though I was already very happy about his hire, after this call, I am now even more confident that he will find the right fit for Valpo, and get us back on the winning track!

What makes you say that?

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 31, 2023, 08:13:09 PM
So, TX, he came across to you in person on a call with the same character he projects in videos, etc. ?  That's great.

Yes, seemed to have the same level of character, and passion for making the right decision on this hire. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Has Lottich been hired anywhere else yet?
CRUSADERS!!!

tiny707

Have to see where head coaches end up to see where Lottich ends up. So maybe he ends up at a P5 assistant job at Northwestern, Gonzaga, Ohio State or Marquette depending on who we hire. Maybe goes into broadcasting like Bryce Drew, Robbie Hummel and Bruce Weber?

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tiny707 on April 05, 2023, 01:32:21 PM
Have to see where head coaches end up to see where Lottich ends up. So maybe he ends up at a P5 assistant job at Northwestern, Gonzaga, Ohio State or Marquette depending on who we hire. Maybe goes into broadcasting like Bryce Drew, Robbie Hummel and Bruce Weber?

Not sure he's that big of a name to get a decent broadcasting gig, but maybe I'm wrong.

historyman

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on April 05, 2023, 02:00:05 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 05, 2023, 01:32:21 PM

Not sure he's that big of a name to get a decent broadcasting gig, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not sure he knew Robbie Hummel that well but maybe Robbie has some pull with the big wigs up at the Big Ten channel in Rosemont.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann