• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MATT LOTTICH HAS BEEN FIRED!

Started by VU2014, March 23, 2023, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: tjjvalpo on March 25, 2023, 05:57:54 PM
Personally, I think we are overlooking what the revenue that was generated 5 years ago. Average attendance approaching 4000 fans per game at average price of $20 per ticket ($25 for chairback, $15 for bleacher seats) at 15 home games. Then, there used to be about 500 Crusader Club Members that would pay additional $100 per ticket that looks like it had dwindled down to less than 50 this past season. I anm sure that other donations to Athletic Department from Alumni also dwindle. I am sure that Small was able to go back and look at revenue that used to be generated (somewhere between $500,000 to $750,000 per year). So, removing Lottich, regardless of the short term cost was very justifiable.

You make a fair point.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 25, 2023, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 25, 2023, 11:32:18 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 25, 2023, 09:10:41 AM
We'll see if the signee's stay signed.  One of them is Zane Doughty from Ben Davis, the 10th ranked team in the nation.  I watched one of their games and thr announcer described him as the best, back to the basket 5 in the state.  I know nothing about the two kids from Canada other than one was voted one of the top 15 shooters in any class. But then again, they'll be freshman.

Of the current returners, I still have hope for Jerome Palm and you have to love the athleticism of Ibra Bayu.  I also think Max Nelson has some upside.  That leave a LOT of space to fill, from a talent standpoint.  A very big challenge for the new coach.
Zane Doughty is a solid player. Holding onto him would be really nice for the next staff. He is not, however, the best center in the state lol. Flory Bidunga takes the cake there.

The announcer didn't say he was the best center but rather the best "back to the basket" center.  In video I haven't seen him have range beyond 3 feet!

I just watched highlights of the state championship game. This is big time HS BB on a big time stage. Doughty was the leading scorer on either side with 20 points on 10-13 FG's. VERY intense (maybe frenetic is better lol). Nice jump hook up to 8' (maybe) and good (very good?) vertical. MVC caliber player. Best Valpo recruit since Krikke?

valpofb16

Being from Indy can vouch, winning 6A state is probably best athletic achievement you can do in the IHSAA.

To compound that with being the best player on both teams. Very impressive.

Really hope he stays. Don't know rules but with LOI signed I think he will at least be here next year.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2023, 08:25:43 PM
Nebraska?

Yep.  Take a look at their basketball facilities.  They are ridiculously over done.  Nonetheless, their program sucks. My point is simple, facilities don't win games, players do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtyAsWFF0Fw
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Thanks, I was trying to understand where you were going. I would never expect Valpo or any MVC team to have facilities like that. However, I would expect better than what Valpo provides today.

I am very proud that Valpo made a decision to commit to the basketball program and feel confident they will work methodically yet quickly to establish a decent coaching staff. This decision in the middle of challenging economic times was difficult, but it showed that long term, big picture evaluation was carried out.

valporun

Watched the video of Nebraska's practice facility...while all fine and dandy...I hope none of the guys were watching either upset game while sitting in the bathroom in that locker room...the #2s might have had a bit more than expected. To be honest though, do all of these fancy things help them win basketball games like making their shots and playing defense does? Nebraska goes through football and basketball coaches like crazy these days. Thankfully, they have all of the B1G money from television contracts and the NCAA tournament coming in, along with all the money from taxpayers. That's where their ability to have such fancy digs is coming from. Do we have enough donors that could put together the money for a new basketball facility that matches what would make Valpo Basketball a winning program, or do we just have people with a lot of money?

valpo64

Does Paul Oren have any idea of when a decision will be made?  I hope it is soon so recruiting can be completed and the trransfer  situation can be settled.

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on March 26, 2023, 12:23:37 PM
Does Paul Oren have any idea of when a decision will be made?  I hope it is soon so recruiting can be completed and the trransfer  situation can be settled.

That would be terrrific if he could tell us.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 26, 2023, 01:10:53 PM
What decision?

At what point did you lose consciousness, Mr. Van Winkle, so we know where to begin? lol

usc4valpo

The new coach? That needs to be thorough yet quick. It may take a few weeks - cripe, it took a few weeks to fire Lottich after the season was over.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2023, 08:08:33 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2023, 08:25:43 PM
Nebraska?

Yep.  Take a look at their basketball facilities.  They are ridiculously over done.  Nonetheless, their program sucks. My point is simple, facilities don't win games, players do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtyAsWFF0Fw

I agree that great facilities don't guarantee success. That said, I think it's also fair to say that inferior facilities relative to our direct competitors present recruiting challenges above and beyond the rest. The last thing any coaching staff needs is an extra hill to climb.

vu72

Quote from: valpo22 on March 26, 2023, 03:20:59 PMSo on the day-to-day, maybe there's a risk of the Valpo student experience just not being that different from HS except that the instructors teach more different classes in a day intsead of the same section repeated, and the instructor packs up and moves between rooms instead of the students going to the teacher's home room.

22, I'm not sure whether or not you are just discouraged or aren't focused on all the good things about a Valpo education.  No different than HS? Really?  Can you get an RN degree in HS?  Can you get a degree in Accounting so you can sit for the CPA exam?  Can you get a pre-med degree to get into Med school?  College isn't high school!  Coffee shops?  Really?  The union may be the only place to eat but it isn't like your choices are the meatloaf and green beans or frozen pizza!

Valpo has facilities and equipment that many privates would die for.  Can you experience using a Doppler radar while studying Meteorology at other private colleges? Can you study pre-med including a human cadaver lab? Can you study engineering including the use of a solar furnace? Can you prepare for a profession in TV or radio at places without their own TV studio or radio station? Did you forget all the advanced facilities and equipment that is available to Valpo students?

All of the professional colleges have chapters of the highest academic societies in their field, including Phi Beta Kappa--only 285 colleges have a chapter. They weren't accepted because they were sub-par in their fields.  College isn't high school.  If students are focused on coffee shops and food choices or partying, then perhaps college, particularly with the costs involved, isn't the right direction.  If they are focused on small classes with dedicated faculty who actually know their names, then perhaps Valpo could be a very good choice.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

VU72, not sure the competition for students is the other private institutions. May be the public ones. I have been on many campus tours recently and there is a big difference. The freshmen dorms sucked when we looked at them at  Valpo. Embarrassing. At 2100 students it is now below many high schools. Most of my Alumni friends kids have gone to IU, Purdue and Ball State.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2023, 04:57:20 PM
https://twitter.com/bakari_evelyn11/status/1639038108682571781?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

Bakari is further evidence that Matt had poor coaching judgement. He allowed a 34%FG/30%3FG shooter carte blanche to shoot at will. Setting a player up for failure. Bad Matt! Poor Bakari!

vok22

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2023, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: valpo22 on March 26, 2023, 03:20:59 PMCan you experience using a Doppler radar while studying Meteorology at other private colleges?

To be fair, you can't do this at Valpo either. Their Doppler has been down for almost 3 years and hasn't been fixed (reportedly due to money).

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo22 on March 26, 2023, 06:04:57 PM
62, Can u translate the memes?

No, not precisely, 22. Probably before you got on campus. But WH aluded to a problem from the get-go when Bakari xfered in from Nebraska (I think).  Help me people!  At one point in a game I remember him leaving the court (going to the locker room. Mid-game) and Kiser going after him to get him back.  He was a landmine in every game and refused to run plays unless he was the go-to.  Matt accommodated the petulant child for way too long and this is what he gets for it. Other coaches probably would have found a way to sideline him to the point of leaving the team in the middle of the season. Matt didn't. But Evelyn eventually caused enough turmoil and pulled some other players to xfer out. It was a disaster.

His two postings show how much hate/contempt/lack of respect the guy had bottled up inside of him.  Other posters, please correct my failing memory (or add other salacious moments)..

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 26, 2023, 06:19:56 PMBakari xfered in from Nebraska (I think).  Help me people!

Came from Nebraska and departed to Iowa. Never could follow his thinking and I believe he left with or just ahead of Smitts and Sorolla. Weren't we a better team that following year?

justducky

Quote from: justducky on March 26, 2023, 07:24:31 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 26, 2023, 06:19:56 PMBakari xfered in from Nebraska (I think).  Help me people!

Came from Nebraska and departed to Iowa. Never could follow his thinking and I believe he left with or just ahead of Smitts and Sorolla. Weren't we a better team that following year?

Yes that was the addition by subtraction year. Smitts to Butler, Sorolla to Cincinnati, Bakari to Iowa with all 3 being seniors BUT  :o the team won a few games in St Louis. I think Golder left too for maybe Portland?

VULB#62

Yes Golder left. He was the guy I wished had stayed.

AB

They all left/announced that week and Javon did on Thursday, before he came back. That group did not like him for whatever reason. He was asked on a pod cast what happened to that team and he just said "thats an interesting question" He also said that guys were uncomfortable with their rolls and you could see that. He was not exactly a stat stuffer at Iowa. Carved out a nice niche for 25 minutes a game, ball handler, occasional assist and shots made.
        All the guys that left really had no impact at their new school. Smits career ending injury, Sorolla quit in January, Grass wasn't greener at UC, Golder looked washed up and injured at Portland State. Some Karma. Let's hope the new coach can recruit/identify the talent and harness that talent/get the most out of them/find successful rolls.

VU2014

Bakari played a selfish brand of basketball and often tried to play "hero ball" in iso situations against the Coaching staffs will. Lottich often said we don't need "me first" players. Bakari clearly took exception to those comments.

This isn't anything new. Bakari had taken shots at Lottich in the past. Not saying Bakari is a bad guy here but the guy had quite the ego for the lack of production he brought to the table. He was also buddies with Joe Burton and Lottich cut his buddy for lack of academic performance. That whole era had a tumultuous exit with Lottich if you guys remember. Bakari, Joe Burton, Golder, & Nick Robinson. Lottich is a no bs guy and holds people to high standards. That style ruffled some feathers. Ultimately that was on Lottich and the staff for not vetting players better to be the proper culture fit for the school. 

He's taking shots on Lottich's way out. It is what it is.

VULB#62

CHARACTER. INTEGRITY.  DIGNITY. DETERMINATION.  Basketball skills.  That's Ben. That's Alec. That's Rowdy. That's KVW.  That's Bryce. That's Buggsy.  That's ..........  all the great players we've had over time.

We are a small school and we need to find those types of players with a fire in their gut to out-play 4* and 5* prima donnas. It can be done. This year's Final Four proves it.  Our next coach has to have the qualities to create that atmosphere and culture. It can be done.

Dr. Small, go find that guy!