• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU buys Strongbow Inn property

Started by tiny707, April 04, 2023, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Paid 2.2 million. Maybe we can afford a high level coach after all.

valpo84

So, sell some paintings for the Strongbow property.  Seems like a turkey of a deal.  (Sorry, too soon)?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

The university is already sitting on a gold mine in that area. Smart purchase.

vu72

I can't recall, how far from campus is the property?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

Quote from: vu72 on April 05, 2023, 07:54:53 AM

It is on Silhavy Road, just off of US 30 and SR 49. I think the back of the property adjoins E.M. Bauer Field and Eastgate fields. So, if there is a plan to do further development of Eastgate, the Strongbow property is a key location.

David81

Nostalgia sidebar: I went there once, to treat a friend who was graduating to a nice dinner. We enjoyed the meal! As I recall, there weren't many places where you could do a bit of a splurge without totally wrecking a limited student budget.

And now I return you to 2023....😂

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on April 05, 2023, 08:02:00 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 05, 2023, 07:54:53 AM

It is on Silhavy Road, just off of US 30 and SR 49. I think the back of the property adjoins E.M. Bauer Field and Eastgate fields. So, if there is a plan to do further development of Eastgate, the Strongbow property is a key location.

I just looked at Google earth and the property does seem to back up to Em Bauer.  This would give the entire property access to US 30 which would seem to be a very big financial plus.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

That intersection is a mess. I thought the city was going to redesign that little section of the road going north to reduce the bottleneck that gets created there. Looks like they'd have to have permission from the university to do that?

valpopal

I posted the following three weeks ago to another thread when I hinted about the Strongbow Inn purchase by the university. Although the university tried to keep the acquisition quiet, other faculty and I found out about the sale when it happened in early March. If you look at the "East Gate / Sturdy Road" map included in my link, much will become clear about possible future plans.

As we discuss value and viability of university assets, I believe the most interesting aspect of the Valpo Strategic Plan is the Vitalize Valpo Property Overview, which has some curious details. Especially significant is the Eastgate / Sturdy Road section for which an RFP (Request for Proposal) has already been done. While we are understandably and rightfully distracted by possibilities of a new ARC or Nursing School, my hunch is this could be the administration's more immediate main focus for near future economic development by the university.
https://vitalizevalpo.com/property-overview/

Just Sayin

The US 30 Corridor Project included the re-routing of Silhavy Rd. to Strongow Center Dr. to address the horrible traffic issue at that intersection.

Mayor Costas wrote many moons ago:

QuoteThe intersection at Silhavy Road and Strongbow Center Drive will be reworked, including
a new segment of Silhavy to Sturdy Road. This new link will offer a tremendous amount of
relief from traffic coming from the Valparaiso Marketplace

Has anyone seen an update to this project? They razed the building on that intersection recently. I thought that was done in part to prepare for the work to be done.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on April 05, 2023, 10:11:20 AM

I posted the following three weeks ago to another thread when I hinted about the Strongbow Inn purchase by the university. Although the university tried to keep the acquisition quiet, other faculty and I found out about the sale when it happened in early March. If you look at the "East Gate / Sturdy Road" map included in my link, much will become clear about possible future plans.

As we discuss value and viability of university assets, I believe the most interesting aspect of the Valpo Strategic Plan is the Vitalize Valpo Property Overview, which has some curious details. Especially significant is the Eastgate / Sturdy Road section for which an RFP (Request for Proposal) has already been done. While we are understandably and rightfully distracted by possibilities of a new ARC or Nursing School, my hunch is this could be the administration's more immediate main focus for near future economic development by the university.
https://vitalizevalpo.com/property-overview/

Sitting on land worth big bucks? Don't just settle for a quick payday, develop it. Someone over there on Chapel Drive is a strategic business thinker with bold ideas. Hopefully, they can deliver on it.

historyman

That's my 1950 Ford Fairlane on the right.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann