• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Better than last year...

Started by wh, December 04, 2011, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Butler just lost its best chance to beat us this year.  I am certain they will improve (possibly considerably), but we will improve even more:

-Our 2 transfers Will and Richie are just starting to make meaningful contributions.  They will get nothing but better between now and the 1st of the year.  Will played his best game to date yesterday.  He was a real difference maker down the stretch in a very big game.
- Ditto with Richie.  He was a beast down low yesterday in only his 6th game in a Crusader yesterday.  This is only the beginning of many good things to follow.
- Ryan is the MVP of the HL at this point.  He is 1 rebound short of having 5 double doubles in our first 8 games.  Really 7 games, excluding the one D-3 game that he barely played. He is a star and he will remain a star for the remainder of his career.
- Erik is playing his best basketball in a Crusader uniform.  He is no longer a free throw liability and is just now beginning to look to score on the drive.  No reason to think that he has peaked either.  The improvement in Erik's play represents the biggest individual difference over a year ago. 
- Matt is continuing to develop and make big plays.
- Kevin didn't have a particularly good game yesterday, but he has already had monster games and will have more between now and the end of the season.
- Jay's is just beginning to come into his own. 
- We haven't even seen Ben yet, but he will undoubtedly give us much needed depth that to date we have had to muddle through without.

Bottom line: This team is already ahead of last year at the same point, with a whole lot more potential for improvement going forward than last year's team had at the same point in the season.  By the time it's all said and done, I also think we will have a better record.  I won't even talk about the prospects for next year, with the entire team back.   

sectionee

Agree with just about everything, especially the part where we will be better then last year. 

vu72

We may need to be to get past the next five games.  I'm not etrribly worried about the alphabet schools but both games are on the road.  Bowling Green has beaten Temple and Detroit.  Oakland may be the toughest, and have beaten Houston and Tennessee.  NIU should be an OK win but they also lost to Milwaukee by only 2.

Should be  fun and interesting next two weeks!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

While I am willing to accept all of wh's points on individual play I am not yet ready to conclude that this will result in improved overall or Horizon League records (though I am now leaning that way). On a short bench injuries are always the greatest threat and since Kevin has a history of back problems I wince every time he goes to the floor. I am afraid that eventually he will make a simple misstep or take a charge resulting in him going back to playing 10 minutes per game. What would that or any other injury do to this season?

Edwards just proved to us that he can play the 5 against a small 5, but he has yet to prove that he can be a big contributer at the 4, and in certain games this is something we will badly need. Vucic is much improved but in the go-small Horizon there will be a lot of bench time. Tommy, I was expecting more than you are showing me.

The biggest question that we have yet to face or answere are the zones and selective sagging mans that will cover Broekhoff, Harris and Bogan and beg whoever else is on the floor to beat them from outside. All of this plus the strength of the Horizon might well limit our victory total to something very close to last years production. All said I would  expect to finish the regular season with a rpi that is at best only slightly better than last seasons, but that is still much better than I thought it might be in october.

dylanrocks

Quote from: vu72 on December 04, 2011, 05:28:43 PM
NIU should be an OK win but they also lost to Milwaukee by only 2.

You guys are going to NIU?

What a terrible place to play. It's like the arena that time forgot; it's a 9,200-seat facility and no one attends.

We played in DeKalb without one of our best players -- Tony Meier -- and were still not clicking on all (any?) cylinders.

Bring over a few busloads of fans and you guys should be fine. You're simply much better than the Huskies.

Then again, so are we.

I really like the Crusaders, Panthers and Vikings this year. Not sure yet on Butler; it's a work in progress.

IrishDawg

Quote from: wh on December 04, 2011, 03:44:12 PM
Butler just lost its best chance to beat us this year.  I am certain they will improve (possibly considerably), but we will improve even more:

Obviously I have a lot of bias in the analysis, but I simply can't agree with your thoughts on Valpo's team improving more than Butler's by the end of the year, who, besides Bogan and Edwards (who have at least played basketball at a higher level than high school, so the jump for them isn't as great), had played in games before with each other and had at least practiced with one another before the year started.  Maybe not in the same roles, but most of these guys know the system and how the individual pieces play together.  It's a lot tougher to say that about a lineup in which about half of the players are freshmen and have never played in a college game or with the guys they are now in a game situation before last month.  If anything I'd say they've already closed the gap from the start of the year.

Butler is not a good shooting or free throw shooting team (this year, next year I feel will be much different), but I can almost guarantee if they get 19 more shots at the end of February as they did on Saturday, Valpo isn't going to win.

Additionally, Valpo's lineup and minutes are all but set at this point in the season unless Boggs becomes available (in which case maybe that does improve Valpo greatly, I don't know).  Brad has stated that he only has one starter at this point in the season, and that's Andrew Smith (which I think even he should be given a hard look based on his recent play).

I'm not saying that Butler is going to hands down win at Valpo on February 24th, but I would venture to say that a lineup with 1.5 seniors (Butcher won't put in a full season due to his knees), 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 4 freshmen is going to improve more than a lineup with 6 juniors (and possibly 7 should Boggs come available), and 2 (possibly 3 if Vucic sees much action from here on out) sophomores.

What will be very interesting to see is how well Valpo is able to handle the loss of 85% of its current season scoring and 78% of its current season rebounding after next year.  Obviously that's a ways down the road, but I just couldn't believe it when I looked at the roster and saw how many of the key contributors were juniors.

Good luck the rest of the way, and I'm looking forward to hanging out in the ARC on February 24th as I have 3 out of the last 4 seasons (couldn't go last year as I had to work that Saturday).

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on December 05, 2011, 12:54:22 PM
Quote from: wh on December 04, 2011, 03:44:12 PM

Obviously I have a lot of bias in the analysis, but I simply can't agree with your thoughts on Valpo's team improving more than Butler's by the end of the year, who, besides Bogan and Edwards (who have at least played basketball at a higher level than high school, so the jump for them isn't as great), had played in games before with each other and had at least practiced with one another before the year started.  Maybe not in the same roles, but most of these guys know the system and how the individual pieces play together.  It's a lot tougher to say that about a lineup in which about half of the players are freshmen and have never played in a college game or with the guys they are now in a game situation before last month.  If anything I'd say they've already closed the gap from the start of the year.

Butler is not a good shooting or free throw shooting team (this year, next year I feel will be much different), but I can almost guarantee if they get 19 more shots at the end of February as they did on Saturday, Valpo isn't going to win.

Additionally, Valpo's lineup and minutes are all but set at this point in the season unless Boggs becomes available (in which case maybe that does improve Valpo greatly, I don't know).  Brad has stated that he only has one starter at this point in the season, and that's Andrew Smith (which I think even he should be given a hard look based on his recent play).

I'm not saying that Butler is going to hands down win at Valpo on February 24th, but I would venture to say that a lineup with 1.5 seniors (Butcher won't put in a full season due to his knees), 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 4 freshmen is going to improve more than a lineup with 6 juniors (and possibly 7 should Boggs come available), and 2 (possibly 3 if Vucic sees much action from here on out) sophomores.

What will be very interesting to see is how well Valpo is able to handle the loss of 85% of its current season scoring and 78% of its current season rebounding after next year.  Obviously that's a ways down the road, but I just couldn't believe it when I looked at the roster and saw how many of the key contributors were juniors.

Good luck the rest of the way, and I'm looking forward to hanging out in the ARC on February 24th as I have 3 out of the last 4 seasons (couldn't go last year as I had to work that Saturday).

As maybe you can tell, I have a little bias of my own.  :)

After what Butler accomplished the last 2 seasons, NOTHING would surprise me as to how much the Bulldogs may improve between now and tourney time. 

valpotx

The positive is that we have several big men for the next two seasons after this one.  We are usually having to replace that height every year it seems.  Much easier to find guards available than big men that can contribute.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Agree with valpotx.  After next year we will still have Fernandez at 6'11", Dino Jakolis at 6'8"  Bobby Capobianco at 6'9" 245# and Vucic at 7'1" with two more years of practice.  We will also have Jay Harris, who will be all conference by then and Tommy Kurth.  So far we will be adding two Indiana All Stars as freshman on that team.  Perhaps a rebuilding year, but don't think so.

As for improvement this year, so much depends on whether or not we add Dino or Vashil. Either could really help particularly Vashil on the boards and with blocked shots.  Don't underestimate how good Boggs will be.  Brandon Wood had very good things to say about his game. You aren't a two time first team all Virginia player and a Va. Tech recruit without some talent and at 6'4" will be a more difficult matchup at the 2 versus a 6' Will Bogan.  Boggs is also suppose to be a very good defender.  We'll see...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: dylanrocks on December 05, 2011, 06:57:06 AM
You guys are going to NIU?

What a terrible place to play. It's like the arena that time forgot; it's a 9,200-seat facility and no one attends.

We played in DeKalb without one of our best players -- Tony Meier -- and were still not clicking on all (any?) cylinders.

Bring over a few busloads of fans and you guys should be fine. You're simply much better than the Huskies.

NIU is 0-7 with an exhibition loss to Carthage in OT. They lost to Purdue by 62 and they play UIC Saturday at the Pavillion. You have to wonder if they will win any of their games. They play Roosevelt University on Jan. 2 and that will probably be a battle for the Huskies.

sectionee

Vu72: jakolis is not 6'8" probably more like 6'4" (but this has been brought up before) and what made you even bring up kurth as a positive moving forward? The guy has been a turnover waiting to happen, doesn't score and can't guard anyone.  Regardless, this team is only going to get better if they can keep away from the injury bug.

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2011, 09:23:51 PMNIU is 0-7 with an exhibition loss to Carthage in OT. They lost to Purdue by 62 and they play UIC Saturday at the Pavillion. You have to wonder if they will win any of their games. They play Roosevelt University on Jan. 2 and that will probably be a battle for the Huskies.

I'm not making excuses for NIU, but they have a first-year coach, and a roster with 7 scholarship freshmen, so it is a lot of rebuilding, growth, and opportunity for a very young Huskies program. I look forward to this game. I wish I could go, since I only live about an hour away, but the lack of sufficient funds to afford the quick trip are more than I can handle at this time. Would be nice to go to DeKalb, and help the place look a little fuller, but with the NIU fans only caring about the football team, it will be a long game for them. I just hope Valpo puts the game away early, as this should be a strong win for them.

valpotx

Wow, they lost by 62 to Purdue?  I imagine Purdue had their subs in for much of the game, and still made it a blowout! 

I hope all the naysayers (on our board and on other teams) have taken note of our dedication to fielding a competitive team in the HL.  I remember all the comments about how Valpo does not belong in the HL from the other boards, and we have been competitive in every sport, barring M/W S&D, CC, and T&F.  As one of the Milwaukee fans pointed out, the McCafferty standings do not indicate performance as well as it should, and especially over our first 4 years in the HL do not indicate how well our main sports have performed.  I believe we have consistently been in the top 4 teams in each sport every year except the ones mentioned above.  We have been close in several regular season championships (up until our first win in men's soccer), and many semi-final and final appearances in other sports.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on December 05, 2011, 10:03:59 PM
Vu72: jakolis is not 6'8" probably more like 6'4" (but this has been brought up before) and what made you even bring up kurth as a positive moving forward? The guy has been a turnover waiting to happen, doesn't score and can't guard anyone.  Regardless, this team is only going to get better if they can keep away from the injury bug.

I guess I was just reading the news, and yes I said Jakolis is 6'8", sorry, this release says he's 6'7", my bad.:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2010-11/10739/dino-jakolis-signs-nli-to-join-valpo-mens-basketball-program/

As for Kurth, just because he is having a slow start doesn't mean in two years (the time frame in question), that he will continue to have no value.  the point of the post was that the cupboard will not be very empty.  Tommy may not be a world beater but will provide a fifth year senior's leadership and toughness.

valpotx

If anyone remembers, Diebler really wasn't a factor at all his first 2-3 years.  His last few years is when that leadership really showed, and he started to shoot more as well (out of necessity mind you).
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

I think Jakolis' height was discussed somewhere before and he is admittedly closer to 6'5''...but that really doesn't matter if he doesn't get cleared.  We can argue about Kurth's potential another time.  Valpo will continue to improve both on the court and in the business of recruiting talent.