• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012-2013 Expectations Begin

Started by valpo84, April 12, 2012, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

2 scholarships available now...although one will be snatched up very soon.

LaPorteAveApostle

I gotta say, that's why I didn't post the new eligibility graphic, although I thought it was because we would be adding one soon, not subtracting.

I guess that's the way of the world.  Chef, any suggestions as to the taker?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

Not in a position to say much, although I do believe there will be an announcement real soon.

LaPorteAveApostle

hm.  i don't want to put you in an awkward position or anything...can you tell us what position will he play?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

haha...nvm.  checked the other thread.

LaPorteAveApostle

I wouldn't file this under "new information", necessarily, but it's good to know:

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2012/04/eligibility-update.html

To wit:

"There has been some confusion over the eligibility of Valparaiso's three incoming transfers -- even in the basketball wing at Valparaiso, as the school is still in the process of hiring a new compliance director. Here's where the three players stand as of now, according to Bryce Drew:

Jordan Coleman can definitely play right away. It's unclear if he'll have two or three years of eligibility.
Lavonte Dority is still up in the air. At the very worst, he'll be eligible at the semester break, like Ben Boggs was this past season. But Drew is still hoping he could be cleared for the start of the season. He should have two seasons of eligibility left.
David Chadwick will sit out next season. He'll have two years of eligibility left."

Hey, maybe we should have one of our guys take that job...think of the insider info we could have!

Maybe not Crusader03.

vuweathernerd

i'm not sure i buy youngstown finishing fourth. that'd likely be the highest they're capable of finishing. i see them in the bottom half, honestly.

valpotx

Can someone post the article in the thread?  The link won't pull up the full article for me at work  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on June 08, 2012, 02:35:15 PM
Can someone post the article in the thread?  The link won't pull up the full article for me at work  :)

Here it is

Horizon League Preview: Staring Down Life After Butler

By Mike Rutherford - College Basketball Editor

Keeping its reputation as a top mid-major conference in tact is the primary concern for a Horizon League facing life without its headline program.

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and Like SBNation.com on Facebook.

Jun 8, 2012 - For more than a decade, Butler has been to the Horizon League what Wayne Gretzky was to the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980s. Now the Bulldogs are off to the Atlantic-10, and its former conference is scrambling to make sure it doesn't become an unsexy franchise on the verge of freezing to death in Alberta (figuratively).

The good news for the Horizon is that this move isn't coming immediately after Butler's back-to-back national title game appearances. The league has already experienced what life without the Bulldogs at the top is like, and as a result can say it's returning both its reigning regular season (Valparaiso) and tournament (Detroit) champions.

Still, with Butler down last season, the conference went from a multi-bid league featuring the two-time defending national runners-up to one whose lone representative in the big dance was a 15 seed. The issue for the Horizon now becomes making sure that type of postseason situation and performance doesn't become the norm.

2011-12 FINAL CONFERENCE STANDINGS

STANDINGS   CONFERENCE   OVERALL
Horizon   W-L   GB   PCT   W-L   PCT   STRK
Valparaiso   14-4   --   .778   22-11   .667   L1
Cleveland State   12-6   2   .667   22-10   .688   L1
Detroit   11-7   3   .611   22-13   .629   W5
Milwaukee   11-7   3   .611   20-13   .606   L1
Butler   11-7   3   .611   20-14   .588   L1
Youngstown State   10-8   4   .556   16-15   .516   L1
Green Bay   10-8   4   .556   15-15   .500   L1
Wright State   7-11   7   .389   13-19   .406   L3
Illinois-Chicago   3-15   11   .167   8-22   .267   L4
Loyola (IL)   1-17   13   .056   7-23   .233   L4
CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT CHAMPION

3) Detroit defeated 1) Valparaiso (70-50)

NCAA TOURNAMENT RESULT

15) Detroit (automatic) lost to 2) Kansas (65-50)

THREE BIGGEST OFFSEASON STORYLINES

1. Can Valpo become the new Butler?

Filling out the shoes worn by a back-to-back national runner-up is a nearly impossible task for any mid-major program, but the one with the biggest feet in the Horizon League right now would seem to be Valpo. They've had sustained success in the recent past, they have a marketable young coach in Bryce Drew, they're located in a talent-rich area and they just won the Horizon by a full two games in just their fifth season in the league.

Though becoming Butler, a program more likely to find itself ranked in the top 25 than on the wrong side of the NCAA Tournament bubble in recent years, is probably unachievable, Valpo has all the necessary ingredients to carry the flag for the Horizon League in these still uncertain times. Making some noise during the non-conference portion of the season and then winning a game in the big dance would do wonders for both the conference and the Crusaders' long-term sustainability.

2. Scheduling concerns

The unexpected immediate departure of Butler has every team in the league with two open slots on its schedule and not a great deal of time to fill them. The downgrade from 18 to 16 conference games means all nine teams have to strike a pair of non-con deals before the start of the season, which is a tough sell in the summer if you're not a power conference team.

3. No coaching changes

Despite all the uncertainty surrounding the league this offseason, each of the conference's nine remaining members managed or chose to hold onto its head coach. That's an extremely rare occurrence for any league in this day and age, but especially for a mid-major conference in a state of flux.

EARLY PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

1. Valparaiso

Bryce Drew's team went 14-4 in the league during the regular season last year and lost no seniors of note. Leading scorers and rebounders Ryan Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk are back for their senior seasons, and both have a bitter taste in their mouths after a disastrous performance in the conference title game.

2. Detroit

With Ray McCallum Jr. back, it's an easy argument to make that this is the most talented team in the conference. The problem with the Titans -- and it seems strange to say this about a Horizon League team -- the past two years has been focus. They've gone through the motions for stretches during conference play and then attempted to turn it up once the spotlight came their way. It worked last season, as they won their four conference tournament games by an average of just under 13 points. The graduation of seniors Chase Simon and Eli Holman provide holes that will be difficult to fill.

3. Green Bay

Green Bay appears to be the team from the pack most capable of challenging Valpo and Detroit. The Phoenix return their top four scorers from last season, including one of the top double-double men in the league in junior center Alec Brown. Brown scored in double figures in all but two of Green Bay's final 13 games last year.

4. Youngstown State

The Penguins will return three players, including two seniors, who averaged double figures last season in Kendrick Perry, Blake Allen and Damian Eargle. Perry, who led YSU in scoring (16.8 ppg), assists (3.9 apg) and steals (2.4 spg) in 2011-12, is the guy who makes this team go. He scored 20 or more points in six of Youngstown's final nine games, including a 30-point performance in a win over Milwaukee.

5. Milwaukee

The league's most balanced team last season loses its two leading scorers, but still returns three guys who averaged 7.6 points per game or better. The loss of Ja'Rob McCallum to transfer is a blow, but junior college transfers Jordan Aaron and Thierno Niang will provide immediate help in the backcourt. The addition of Aaron, who could be the Panthers' starting point guard from day one, is especially crucial.

6. Cleveland State

The Vikings were as disappointing as any team in the country in February and March last season, losing nine of their final 11 games after beginning the season 20-4. Losing its only three double-figure scorers to graduation doesn't do anything to help the offseason healing process.

7. Wright State

It can be argued that no team in the country has had a worse offseason than the Raiders, who have lost five players to transfer, tied with San Francisco for the most in Division-I. Leading scorer Julius Mays heading to Kentucky for his final season is the unquestioned biggest blow of the bunch.

8. Loyola-Chicago

The Ramblers won just one league game last season, but they were rarely blown out, dropping three of those contests in overtime. They also won at Bradley in their BracketBusters game, which is ... something. These two facts combined with the return of Ben Averkamp for his senior season has me going out on the "not picking Loyola last" limb.

9. Illinois-Chicago

The Flames had four key seniors last season and still only managed to win eight games overall. Gary Talton will have to have a monster senior season for the team to improve upon that mark.

EARLY PREDICTED ALL-HORIZON LEAGUE TEAM

G Ray McCallum Jr., Detroit
G Kendrick Perry, Youngstown State
F Kevin Van Wijk, Valparaiso
F Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso
F Ben Averkamp, Loyola-Chicago

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Junior Lomomba, Cleveland State

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Ray McCallum Jr., Detroit
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Don't recall hearing anything about Lomomba but I'd be shocked if he has a better year than Bobby Capobianco.  If either Rossi or Dority are eligible they will make the all new comer team.  If Ryan isn't the MVP it will be because of injury.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Thanks for providing the information!  I would agree with all except YSU, as previously mentioned.  They did have a better year last year...but they are still YSU  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on June 08, 2012, 03:47:11 PM
Don't recall hearing anything about Lomomba but I'd be shocked if he has a better year than Bobby Capobianco.  If either Rossi or Dority are eligible they will make the all new comer team.  If Ryan isn't the MVP it will be because of injury.

One thing impacting POY is that McCallum will need to be more productive now that Simon and Holman are gone ... he'll clearly get a lot more shots without Simon on the court.   ;D

The opposite could be said for Broekhoff, who with the surrounding talent, won't need to score as much and probably won't be asked to play 32+ mpg like he did last year.  Also, Capobianco didn't transfer to Valpo to set screens (just look at any quotes from him or his family regarding how his talents were misused at IU), so he will need to get his share of shots to be happy. 

All of that points to slightly lower numbers for Broekhoff, but I still think he deserves POY if Valpo rolls through the league with no more than a loss or two ... unless of course, Van Wijk or Capobianco put up better numbers!

uhlan80

Hello. New to the board. I'm really excited about this coming season. Indications are with the returning talent that this season's Valpo team will be better than last season. They will be bigger, stronger and possibly faster when Dority starts playing.

vu72

Quote from: uhlan80 on June 24, 2012, 05:20:28 PM
Hello. New to the board. I'm really excited about this coming season. Indications are with the returning talent that this season's Valpo team will be better than last season. They will be bigger, stronger and possibly faster when Dority starts playing.

:welcome:  Many of us think this will be the best team in many years.  Should be a fun year!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on June 25, 2012, 08:39:10 PMValpo "poised to be next year's tourney Cinderella"?

While I agree with the sentiment in this case, I feel it must again be stated:
Friends don't let friends read BleacherReport.

valpopal

Kevin Van Wijk is predicted as one of the top ten high-efficiency scorers (fifth) for the upcoming 2012-2013 season:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1273166-college-basketball-top-ten-high-efficiency-scorers-in-2012-13-cbb/page/7

LaPorteAveApostle

Seriously?  College football is still weeks away and Joe Lunardi has put out a 2013 NCAA bracket.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/year/2013

This being worth precisely what it costs you to read it, I can't even get upset that he picks Detroit to win the conference and be a 14 seed.  At least he doesn't have Butler in there.  Opponents picked (besides UDM) are Murray St (13) and New Mexico (11).  Perhaps the BBuster and the as-yet-untitled could be in there too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Seriously.  This guy gets paid and stuff.

Probably because suckers like me are giving him hits over nothing.

vuweathernerd

lunardi is one of the biggest windbags in sports writing. roughly the irrelevant windbag equivalent of lou holtz and digger phelps in football/basketball on-air commentary.

StlVUFan

Yeah, apostle, my only contribution to this discussion is to ignore bracketology -- Lunardi especially.  I've been singing this tune for years now.  Lunardi literally throws darts at a dart board.  I promise you he picked Detroit because they won the auto-bid last year and for *no other reason*.

He and all bracketologists, even the smart ones like Jerry Palm, and even the ones that come out late Feb. 2013 are on my "Pay no mind" list, and I heartily recommend everybody do the same, rather than continue to bitch about it.  That's not a request, that's just free advice ;)

Whatever their intentions are, they -- plus all the 4-letter pundit roundtables -- rob me of my joy in the game if I pay any attention to them, so I don't.  They simply don't matter.

LaPorteAveApostle

True...but...I am afraid that were he to pick VU as (say) a 10 seed, we'd all be waving it about and (the internet equivalent of) high-fiving.

Still, then, I am amending my earlier postulate:

Friends don't let friends read BleacherReport, Michael Rosenberg, or any bracket released by anyone other than the actual NCAA committee.

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 14, 2012, 02:18:29 PM
True...but...I am afraid that were he to pick VU as (say) a 10 seed, we'd all be waving it about and (the internet equivalent of) high-fiving.

Still, then, I am amending my earlier postulate:

Friends don't let friends read BleacherReport, Michael Rosenberg, or any bracket released by anyone other than the actual NCAA committee.

Maybe a few years ago, but today, honestly, no I wouldn't be.  I'd be saying the same thing.  Oh, I would find the notion pleasurable, but I wouldn't put any stock in it.  2010 and 2011 (our dear departed rivals) cured me of all such leaps of faith.  Seeing so many pundits wiping egg off their faces day after day and weekend after weekend was truly liberating.

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 13, 2012, 09:26:33 PM
Seriously?  College football is still weeks away and Joe Lunardi has put out a 2013 NCAA bracket.

This being worth precisely what it costs you to read it, I can't even get upset that he picks Detroit to win the conference and be a 14 seed.  At least he doesn't have Butler in there.  Opponents picked (besides UDM) are Murray St (13) and New Mexico (11).  Perhaps the BBuster and the as-yet-untitled could be in there too, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can see trying to predict the bracket starting about mid-January, after most non-conference games and a few conference games, but in August?  Has Lunardi been spending his summer in one of those states with medicinal alternatives?

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on August 15, 2012, 03:42:36 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 13, 2012, 09:26:33 PM

I can see trying to predict the bracket starting about mid-January, after most non-conference games and a few conference games, but in August?  Has Lunardi been spending his summer in one of those states with medicinal alternatives?
He gets paid (handsomely, I'm sure) to throw darts at a dart board and tell us about it.  The fact that so many people eat it up speaks to his genius.  I assure you he's perfectly sane and well adjusted.