• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012-2013 Schedule?

Started by vu84v2, May 21, 2012, 10:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Are there any insights into the 2012-2013 basketball schedule?  Here are pieces of information that I remember or have heard:

-Road game at Missouri State
-Home game against Loyola Maymount? (not sure if the return game is this year or next)
-Home games against IPFW and IUPUI (I think they are home and home deals and both were on the road last year)
-Oakland on the road (I thought that they were alternating this every year)
-Nebraska (per other post - I assume on the road)
-Northern Illinois at home (return from playing their last season)

(Obviously would love to see a November or December game in Lawrence)

vuweathernerd

they may hold the loyola-marymount return game until next year for another home opponent, seeing as we're due to be a home team this coming season for bracketbuster. though it looks like we could probably use another decent home game, as ipfw and iupui aren't really 'quality' games.

valpo84

Based on the above, including the Loyola Marymount game and a bracketbuster, plus conference games (18), you are at 26 games. Without an exempt tourney and if you throw in one non-D1 opponent for tune-up purposes (non-exhibition) around Christmas time, we're pretty close to maximum number of games.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu84v2

I hope that there is more for three reasons:

1.  That would not be a great home non-conference schedule.
2.  How many losses (total) could they afford and be able to make the NCAA tournament without winning the conference tourney?  It would seem to be a pretty small number (4 or 5 would seem to be the maximum).
3.  The team would generate no national interest until at least January.  Say what you want, but playing (fairly well) on national TV against Arizona in November and then on BTN in December against highly ranked OSU at least developed a little interest.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 23, 2012, 11:30:41 AM
I hope that there is more for three reasons:

1.  That would not be a great home non-conference schedule.
2.  How many losses (total) could they afford and be able to make the NCAA tournament without winning the conference tourney?  It would seem to be a pretty small number (4 or 5 would seem to be the maximum).
3.  The team would generate no national interest until at least January.  Say what you want, but playing (fairly well) on national TV against Arizona in November and then on BTN in December against highly ranked OSU at least developed a little interest.

1. I agree.
2. Not many. Not much in the way of at large contenders on that schedule, and not much in the way of names to draw outside interest. There's nothing on that schedule to draw outsiders in.
3. Beating Nebraska will be nice if that game happens. Always nice to beat a BCS school.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

I would like to see more home-and-homes with teams from MAC, Missouri Valley and Ohio Valley conferences, especially those that have had RPI's in the 80-150 range the last year or two.

vufan75

Valpo 2012-2013 basketball schedule info per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59690/3-point-shot-uconn-watching-smith-case

Looks like the Crusader's are trying for another strong schedule this coming season. Too bad at this point the better non-conference games seem like they will all be away.  Interesting to see away games are scheduled with Nebraska, Missouri State (bracketbuster return game), and Kent State, and are trying also to get away games with New Mexico and Kansas. Do we play Oakland again this season, if so I would guess away as well?

Other than return games with IPFW and Northern Illinois, any ideas as to who we might play at home outside the HL? Loyola Marymount owes us a bracketbuster return game, perhaps that game will be scheduled for next season, but, it also could be delayed until 2013-14 season. Would be nice to see maybe an MVC team or two come to play us at Valpo next season. I'm sure with Butler leaving the HL that scheduling got more difficult for next season, as all 9 remaining HL schools are looking to now add two additional non-conference games.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vufan75 on June 01, 2012, 12:29:13 PMDo we play Oakland again this season, if so I would guess away as well?

Yep, at their place.  Don't know when, but it'll be there.

valpotx

If LMU gets to make the determination of when they play the return game from BracketBusters, they would heavily push for 2013-2014 with the squad we have coming back...
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: vufan75 on June 01, 2012, 12:29:13 PM
Valpo 2012-2013 basketball schedule info per ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59690/3-point-shot-uconn-watching-smith-case

Looks like the Crusader's are trying for another strong schedule this coming season. Too bad at this point the better non-conference games seem like they will all be away.  Interesting to see away games are scheduled with Nebraska, Missouri State (bracketbuster return game), and Kent State, and are trying also to get away games with New Mexico and Kansas. Do we play Oakland again this season, if so I would guess away as well?

Other than return games with IPFW and Northern Illinois, any ideas as to who we might play at home outside the HL? Loyola Marymount owes us a bracketbuster return game, perhaps that game will be scheduled for next season, but, it also could be delayed until 2013-14 season. Would be nice to see maybe an MVC team or two come to play us at Valpo next season. I'm sure with Butler leaving the HL that scheduling got more difficult for next season, as all 9 remaining HL schools are looking to now add two additional non-conference games.
Looks good for Valpo's schedule, and to be mentioned on ESPN's site in the summer months.

zvillehaze

Here's an interesting article on scheduling, with a lot of focus on strategy for teams with at-large hopes.  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7989508/a-guide-scheduling-nonconference-season-ensure-reaching-ncaa-tournament-college-basketball 

If Valpo really is a top-25 team, it would seem they'd love the opportunity to replace the two Butler games with a pair of top-50 type schools who could bolster their schedule and improve their at-large resume.  Even if it doesn't work out, the fall back plan of winning the HL tourney shouldn't be that difficult.

valpofan11

I would really like to see us play a yearly alternating site series with the Illinois State Rebirds. ISU is in the MVC, nearly beat Creighton in the Arch Madness Championship, beat Ole Miss on the road in the NIT first round, and have great talent like Warsaw product Nic Moore. I really would have liked to see Moore in a VU jersey though. Another two series that VU should get on the schedule are A-10 teams Saint Louis and Temple. Both have made the NCAA tournament recently and would really make VU better. We never play many A-10 or MVC teans(besides playing Missouri St.), which I think we should try to get some games with those conference teams on our schedule.

sliman

Let's give the athletic department a little credit:  I'm confident they'd love to have home-and-home series with teams such as St. Louis, Illinois State, Drake, Bradley, etc. and am equally confident they've tried to get them, but it takes two parties to make an agreement.  If we can become a consistent top 50 team (and I'm not among those ready to expect top 25 anytime soon) this may become easier, but we still face the issues of a smaller university in a small community when schools are looking for marquee opponents and sites/cities that will help in recruiting.  Until then, the Bracketbuster and a conference challenge such as the Big 10/ACC challenge that has been discussed here are probably our best shots.  We've also learned that BCS type schools can sign a two-year contract and then buy their way out of it when it comes time to return a game.

covufan

Quote from: sliman on June 01, 2012, 04:03:20 PM
Let's give the athletic department a little credit:  I'm confident they'd love to have home-and-home series with teams such as St. Louis, Illinois State, Drake, Bradley, etc. and am equally confident they've tried to get them, but it takes two parties to make an agreement.  If we can become a consistent top 50 team (and I'm not among those ready to expect top 25 anytime soon) this may become easier, but we still face the issues of a smaller university in a small community when schools are looking for marquee opponents and sites/cities that will help in recruiting.  Until then, the Bracketbuster and a conference challenge such as the Big 10/ACC challenge that has been discussed here are probably our best shots.  We've also learned that BCS type schools can sign a two-year contract and then buy their way out of it when it comes time to return a game.
I agree.  It is tough for the head coach and the athletic department to get most teams to agree to a home-and-home series.  I would also like to see Illinois State, Drake, Bradley and some OVC and MAC teams as well. 

valpo64

Remember now that Butler is off the schedule for next year don't we have 2 openings on the schedule?  Quite awhile ago I thought I remember hearing that we may play IU in the 2012-13 schedule.  Does anyone else remember anything about that or was it my wishful thinking over as few glasses of a good cabernet?  With Indiana's expected pre-season #1 ranking, what a great addition that game would be.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpo64 on June 01, 2012, 05:32:13 PM
Remember now that Butler is off the schedule for next year don't we have 2 openings on the schedule?  Quite awhile ago I thought I remember hearing that we may play IU in the 2012-13 schedule.  Does anyone else remember anything about that or was it my wishful thinking over as few glasses of a good cabernet?  With Indiana's expected pre-season #1 ranking, what a great addition that game would be.

personally, i'd rather replace two potentially winnable games with other potentially winnable games, not blowouts. i'm not entirely against playing high-profile teams, both for monetary and improvement reasons. but why schedule an ass-kicking as a replacement for a game that we could win? doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

vu72

We will be very good, but not THAT good.  I'd rather wait a year when we will be almost as good and they will lose a few to the NBA.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 01, 2012, 05:43:29 PM

personally, i'd rather replace two potentially winnable games with other potentially winnable games, not blowouts. i'm not entirely against playing high-profile teams, both for monetary and improvement reasons. but why schedule an ass-kicking as a replacement for a game that we could win? doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

As posted above, I agree that Indiana isn't a good selection.  Nonetheless, I think 'nerds post calls the forefront one of the big differences between us and Butler.  Butler fans want to play big time opponents and we think of them as "ass-kickings".  Look, I think Indiana will be totally loaded and will beat everybody.  It is Butler's style of play that keeps them in games with over matched opponents, not talent. They grind it out, keep the defensive pressure on and hope.  Last year we beat them 3 times and they beat Purdue.  Would we view a Purdue matchup as a potential win, or another "ass-kicking"??  Not picking on nerd, just sayin...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu72 on June 01, 2012, 05:53:25 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 01, 2012, 05:43:29 PM

As posted above, I agree that Indiana isn't a good selection.  Nonetheless, I think 'nerds post calls the forefront one of the big differences between us and Butler.  Butler fans want to play big time opponents and we think of them as "ass-kickings".  Look, I think Indiana will be totally loaded and will beat everybody.  It is Butler's style of play that keeps them in games with over matched opponents, not talent. They grind it out, keep the defensive pressure on and hope.  Last year we beat them 3 times and they beat Purdue.  Would we view a Purdue matchup as a potential win, or another "ass-kicking"??  Not picking on nerd, just sayin...

Well 72, I like to think we have reason to raise our level of optimism with this team that is coming in next year. As the favorites to win the HL and probably make the NCAA tournament, I have more confidence in us now than before to get a win against somebody like Purdue, or Arizona, Miami, Kansas State, etc. But guys like IU, Ohio State, Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc., those are still games I don't expect to win. Just being honest about it.

DMvalpo18

By the way, in no way am I trying to insinuate that 72 is not an optimist, because the opposite is true! haha.

vu84v2

I have no idea if Kansas is interested in hosting Valparaiso since they were here two years ago, but the word is that Kansas has struggled to put together a good home non-conference schedule.  The best teams want to play neutral site games and not home and home series over two years - so right now their only announced home games are against Colorado and Temple.  Valpo is certainly not the top team that Kansas wants at home, but it is better than getting a Towson St. or UMKC.  Given that and at least one player on the roster at KU from Chicago (Jabari Traylor), there could be some minimal shot at getting a 2 for 1 deal with playing one game in Chicago.  It is probably just wishful thinking - but I would love to see it.

vu72

Obviously I am enthusiastic about our team next year.  We will be as loaded as any mid-major.  My point is that we need to schedule teams from major conferences that we can beat, not make us look like another patsy.  Indiana falls into that category while Penn State or Nebraska do not.  Let's get some quality wins before we win the Hroizon, then we can talk about seeding like they do on the Butler board.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu72 on June 02, 2012, 11:03:07 PM
Obviously I am enthusiastic about our team next year.  We will be as loaded as any mid-major.  My point is that we need to schedule teams from major conferences that we can beat, not make us look like another patsy.  Indiana falls into that category while Penn State or Nebraska do not.  Let's get some quality wins before we win the Hroizon, then we can talk about seeding like they do on the Butler board.

I can understand that....I just think we should be careful to not schedule too many of those. It's nice to give ourselves an opportunity for a big win. But anything beyond 2 or 3, and then I think it begins to hurt you because I don't believe a loss to a high-major is as good as a win against a mid-major.

milanmiracle

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on June 03, 2012, 08:20:32 PM

I can understand that....I just think we should be careful to not schedule too many of those. It's nice to give ourselves an opportunity for a big win. But anything beyond 2 or 3, and then I think it begins to hurt you because I don't believe a loss to a high-major is as good as a win against a mid-major.

While I agree with the theory, you leave yourself little margin for error this way. Unless by "mid major" you are thinking about Gonzaga or Butler, the Mid Major's just don't carry the same prestige that beating a BCS team does. Beating Oakland is nice, and their RPI might be higher than let's say Nebraska, but beating a Big 10 opponent has more overall value.

If you're going to schedule this way, then the at large berth is out the window. Rememeber they were talking about Cleveland State at 20-4 as a bubble team for the NCAA's. If you chose to go that route, you're gambling a whole season on 2 Horizon League tournament games. We saw how that worked last year.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

DMvalpo18

Quote from: milanmiracle on June 05, 2012, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on June 03, 2012, 08:20:32 PM

While I agree with the theory, you leave yourself little margin for error this way. Unless by "mid major" you are thinking about Gonzaga or Butler, the Mid Major's just don't carry the same prestige that beating a BCS team does. Beating Oakland is nice, and their RPI might be higher than let's say Nebraska, but beating a Big 10 opponent has more overall value.

If you're going to schedule this way, then the at large birth is out the window. Rememeber they were talking about Cleveland State at 20-4 as a bubble team for the NCAA's. If you chose to go that route, you're gambling a whole season on 2 Horizon League tournament games. We saw how that worked last year.

While this is true, when was the last time we were in a position to schedule big BCS schools regularly and actually have a chance to gain an at-large berth? I mean, don't we always have to "gamble" every year on the HL tournament? Only now (it's been a while) are we good enough to start considering trying to set up a schedule that might be good enough for an at-large.