• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Northern Kentucky University

Started by nkvu, April 07, 2011, 08:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

There has been some previous discussion about the potential for NKU going DI and possibly joining the Horizon League.  Here is a link to an article in todays Kentucky Enquirer on that subject.  Upshot is that they are getting closer to going DI and their consultant has recommended they apply to the Horizon League.  The Ohio Valley was the other conference mentioned as a possibility.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110406/NEWS0103/304060056/-NKU-plans-move-Division-I?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

milanmiracle

I thought the comments page of the article was very interesting. Not sure if there have been conversations with the Horizon League, but I can't see them adding a team without eliminating another one. I thought I read recently that the Horizon League wasn't looking to add teams. Could that be Youngstown State? Who knows?

From my own perspective, I would think a team transitioning from DII to DI would fit better in the OVC or the Summit League. Making that jump is pretty significant, and unless there is a whole lot of university support, can turn out, well...let's just say not good.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpofan56

Adding Northern Kentucky would be about the dumbest thing the HL could do.  They bring absolutely nothing to the table other than nice facilities.  Besides, this has been gone over so many times and commissioner Lecrone is on record several times over that the HL is not looking to expand.

IndyValpo

It is nice that their consultant recommended they apply to the HL.  Since there is zero percent chance that the HL would be interested one wonders why a consultant could not have figured that out. 

Now, the OVC is a legitimate possibility. With the addition of SIU-E it sits at 11 schools and to be honest is a better fit for NKU with actual potential rivals in Kentucky.  The Big South sits at 11 schools as well though the distance is an issue.  As always the Summit will take just about anyone (except Chicago State) and the Great West currently sits at 5 teams.

nkvu

Here's a link to a follow up article in today's paper.  Note the statement...

"Multiple sources have said NKU is being eyed by both the Horizon League and the Ohio Valley Conference."

This seems to indicate that there is some interest on the part of the Horizon League.  Could just be wishfull thinking on the part of the reporter and his sources.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110407/SPT01/104080343/NKU-coaches-watch-wait?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

BigDWSU

Quote from: nkvu on April 08, 2011, 10:03:21 AM

"Multiple sources have said NKU is being eyed by both the Horizon League and the Ohio Valley Conference."

This seems to indicate that there is some interest on the part of the Horizon League.  Could just be wishfull thinking on the part of the reporter and his sources.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110407/SPT01/104080343/NKU-coaches-watch-wait?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

They were not quoted correctly.  It should have said.........

"Multiple sources have said NKU is being laughed at by both the Horizon League and the Ohio Valley Conference."

milanmiracle

Quote from: BigDWSU on April 08, 2011, 06:26:08 PM

"Multiple sources have said NKU is being laughed at by both the Horizon League and the Ohio Valley Conference."

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it does seem like a bit of a reach to go from DII to the Horizon League. Then again, they do have Youngstown State.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 08, 2011, 06:49:14 PM

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it does seem like a bit of a reach to go from DII to the Horizon League. Then again, they do have Youngstown State.
If you believe what Big D said sometime back (and I do), we are in effect responsible for YSU being in the league.  According to Big D, the HL asked YSU after we turned them down.  Had we accepted, it's hard to say who the league would have gone after for their 10th team.

blackpantheruwm

Thank you for brightening my day :)

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

nkvu

Don't know why you thought the Ohio Valley Conference would be laughing as 8 out of 11 schools voted in favor of NKU joining.  They came up one vote short and the reason reported was that the three schools that voted no felt that they would be at a competative disadvantage versus NKU.  Doesn't sound like laughter to me.  Oh, and I don't think West Virginia was laughing when they lost to NKU this year in an exhibition game.  NKU has developed a very good Division II Program in both men's and women's basketball, and there is no reason to think that they won't transition into a respectable mid-major program. 

valpotx

Well good for them!  Interesting to note that the A-Sun offers sand volleyball.  Didn't know that was an NCAA sport!
"Don't mess with Texas"

BigDWSU

Quote from: nkvu on December 08, 2011, 10:10:23 PM
Don't know why you thought the Ohio Valley Conference would be laughing as 8 out of 11 schools voted in favor of NKU joining.  They came up one vote short and the reason reported was that the three schools that voted no felt that they would be at a competative disadvantage versus NKU.  Doesn't sound like laughter to me.  Oh, and I don't think West Virginia was laughing when they lost to NKU this year in an exhibition game.  NKU has developed a very good Division II Program in both men's and women's basketball, and there is no reason to think that they won't transition into a respectable mid-major program. 

Good for you, you almost got invited to the OVC.  I could only imagine how proud you are to ALMOST join the 27th rated conference in the country.  ::)   Instead you get to join the Atlantic Sun after they loose their top team.  I honestly couldn't care less about your situation.  All I cared about was your AD spreading rumors that your program was being looked at by the HL.  That rumor was BS and we considered it bad PR for our conference.  I am a former board member at WSU.  I know our AD and Conference Commish first hand.  I asked both men several times if NKU was ever considered for HL membership and both men laughed at the notion. 

nkvu

I'm not particularly a fan of NKU, and have no connection with them so they are not me or mine as you infer.  I am a VU alum who happens to reside in Northern KY, hence the screen name NKVU.  Perhaps you misunderstood the meaning of my name.  I only raised the topic as I saw an article mentioning the Horizon League as a possibility for their transition to DI.  I don't disagree that NKU was stretching it when they name dropped the Horizon League.  It would be a stretch for any DII team transitioning to DI to be considered for the Horizon League.  I think it represented their unrealistic hope rather than what they could reasonably expect.  But I stand by my observation that they have become a good DII program and there is no reason to believe that they won't develop into a good mid-major program as well eventually.  No reason to laugh at them.

valpo84

Who knows, nkvu, NKU might be considered for the BigLeast as a travelling partner for Louisville.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

nkvu

Quote from: valpo84 on December 11, 2011, 11:32:34 PM
Who knows, nkvu, NKU might be considered for the BigLeast as a travelling partner for Louisville.

I think UC has that locked up, but once they start handing out suspensions for yesterday's brawl with Xavier, who knows if they will have enough players to field a team.

crusaderjoe

I for one never understood the animus some posters on this board had for NKU.  To each his own I guess. Good for them and good luck in their new league.