• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Shelvin Mack to test NBA draft process

Started by valpo04, April 12, 2011, 01:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

QuoteINDIANAPOLIS -- Butler's Shelvin Mack wants to find out where he stands in the NBA draft. If it doesn't work out, hey, the 21-year-old junior can always return to the two-time national runner-ups.

On Tuesday, the 6-foot-3 shooting guard said he is declaring to enter the draft but has not hired an agent, making him eligible to return to school next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6336316

sectionee

I think he should go for it, I bet he'd go late first early second round.  I'm not sure he could improve his draft status by staying another year. 

ValpoHoops

As reported by Yahoo! Sports and picked up by CBS Sports and ESPN, Mack will remain in the draft and forgo his senior season.

agibson

Apparently he's still projected late first round, or second round.  With the possibility of a lock-out, he's rolling the dice...

sectionee

vuweathernerd

if there is a lockout, is the ncaa going to reconsider the draft issue? or are they going to be considered professionals regardless, like with the nfl draft?

and yes, i know it was each individual's decision whether to stay or go. i'm just curious if anybody's heard anything.

agibson

The current collective bargaining agreement runs through... July 1, apparently.  A week after the draft.

I'm not sure when signing bonuses and the like become effective, but I guess the cat's sort of out of the bag after the draft's happened.  And, indeed, it already is.  The operative May 8 deadline (not sure who exactly sets that) has passed. Mack's presumably hired an agent, etc, etc.

If there's a lock-out, I think he's in the same boat as any other professional.  If worse off, since he hasn't collected a professional salary yet.

I'd be disappointed and, I think, even a bit surprised/shocked, if the NCAA made any exceptions for a lock-out.

vuweathernerd

i would too surprised too, but figured i'd ask to see if anyone had more clarification than myself.