• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Slow website access time

Started by wh, November 26, 2012, 01:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

'04 - Lately, it is taking increasingly more time to access the website and open new sub boards.  At times the lag time is so long it seems like the site has locked up.  Could it be that all the pictures that valpopal and others are posting could be causing this?  It is the only website I am having any problems with.  Thanks, wh 

valpo04

I haven't noticed any slowdowns.  I know we did have some server issues last night, but other than that things have been normal to me.

The pictures shouldn't greatly affect the load times.

If anyone else is having issues, please let me know.

StlVUFan

I've never noticed slow loading.  I've had a few cases where I clicked on the "new" icon, and it took a few seconds for my browser to get to that page, but that could be my connection or my laptop.  Once the page is reached, it always loads as expected.

valpo04

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 26, 2012, 11:13:41 AM
I've never noticed slow loading.  I've had a few cases where I clicked on the "new" icon, and it took a few seconds for my browser to get to that page, but that could be my connection or my laptop.  Once the page is reached, it always loads as expected.

Loading of the "new" posts will always be a bit slower since the scripts have to determine the oldest new post in the thread to take you to the right spot.

Glad to hear you are not experiencing slowdowns otherwise. 

bbtds

Could this have anything to do with it being Cyber Monday and the website operators were gearing up for the onslaught by tweaking their websites which added to slowness for some, depending on their local internet speed?

FWalum

I had noticed things being slow last week and especially last night.  Don't think it was my connection as it is a fairly fast FIOS.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vuweathernerd

and i thought i was the only one having this problem, no matter whether i log on from either of my laptops at home or any number of different work computers. it was painfully slow a couple times over the weekend.

agibson

Huh  - I didn't notice any slowdown.  I couldn't comment on speed, but the forum was definitively in evidence on press row at this weekend's games!

valpo04

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 26, 2012, 05:53:40 PM
and i thought i was the only one having this problem, no matter whether i log on from either of my laptops at home or any number of different work computers. it was painfully slow a couple times over the weekend.

Was it any specific time of day?  Sometimes overnight, some server maintenance can cause an occasional slow down.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpo04 on November 26, 2012, 08:05:58 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 26, 2012, 05:53:40 PM

Was it any specific time of day?  Sometimes overnight, some server maintenance can cause an occasional slow down.

nope - i've logged in in the morning, afternoon, evening and there really seems to be no real rhyme or reason for it. i'm going to a site tomorrow that i haven't been to in a while, so we'll see what happens then.

valporun

I've had some slow access to threads and things, but I'm not saying it is the site yet, as I just got a new router Thursday night, and it could be that the new router just isn't functioning right yet?

valpo04

Having the site on a shared hosting server will inevitably cause it to be a little slower at times.  I occasionally notice a slow page load, but it is pretty infrequent and the rest of the time the site is fast.

FWalum

Maybe it is a late night thing.  After midnight - waited and waited and waited.....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

I'm getting some slow access just now.  As much as thirty seconds or a minute for normal operations.  Specific to this forum.

For "new", I'm sometimes getting
"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. "

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on January 03, 2013, 01:19:02 PM
I'm getting some slow access just now.  As much as thirty seconds or a minute for normal operations.  Specific to this forum.

For "new", I'm sometimes getting
"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. "

Yes...I am investigating some performance problems currently.

Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.

agibson

No big deal, certainly.  I occasionally notice performance blips, and this was maybe the worst in recent memory.  I wouldn't normally even mention it, except I recalled the existence of this thread.

valpo04

Over the past several days, our hosting company has been dealing with a server issue that is making this site inaccessible at times and extremely slow at others.

Sorry for the inconvenience and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

valporun

It seems to be alright now, but that's still up in the air for the time being.

vuweathernerd

04 - do you know if they're still having server issues? i had problems getting the site to load at all this morning, and when it does happen, it's been extremely slow.

valpo04

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 27, 2013, 11:47:30 AM
04 - do you know if they're still having server issues? i had problems getting the site to load at all this morning, and when it does happen, it's been extremely slow.

I haven't seen anything, and haven't had any troubles personally. Let me know if you continue to have issues.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 03, 2013, 01:19:02 PM"Connection Problems

The whole site was unavailable for several minutes just now, with messages like this.  No big deal, certainly, just occasionally keeping track.

agibson

More idle trivia:

Just now I had my most extreme glimpse at behavior that's been hinted at before.  General access was fine, but it was taking a _long_ time for clicks on "New" to skip down to the particular message.  They'd get to the right page promptly, but then would be delayed... even a couple of minutes... before going to the right post.

And then all of the back log cleared at once.

Funny to see it in such an exaggerated fashion!

historyman

I couldn't get on the board for a very long period last night that went from about 7pm to 10:30pm.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: historyman on February 03, 2013, 03:06:13 PM
I couldn't get on the board for a very long period last night that went from about 7pm to 10:30pm.

Yeah - I'd forgotten all about that.  It was inaccessible for me, too, for a good while.

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on February 03, 2013, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: historyman on February 03, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

Yeah - I'd forgotten all about that.  It was inaccessible for me, too, for a good while.

Yes, our hosting service had an extensive and extended outage.  Even their home page wouldn't load.   :-X