• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The value of national athletic exposure

Started by VULB#62, March 25, 2013, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

Maybe I'm missing something, but it was Ted Robinson on the TV call of "The Shot." Not sure there is a sportscaster named Ted Johnson. This appears to be quite an error by the author, or again perhaps I'm missing something.

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2013, 09:53:42 PM
Man!  Can't get better publicity than that.  Unsolicited and honest.  Jeez.

We (Valpo) are like a surfer. We're sitting on our board waiting for the perfect wave.  One comes by, but, eh, it's not quite right (1998 sweet 16, 2012 loss in the HL Final).  So we wait and a bigger wave approaches (2013 HL champs and NCAA, "The Shot" is all over the national media). It's still building. Going forward, what do we do to optimize the opportunity we have been blessed with going forward to ride that wave toward:

>  An upsurge in the application pool
>  More donations
>  An increase in selectivity
>  6,000 students
>  National recognition as a truly academic institution, with wonderful values, that just happens to have a good basketball team ( Duke? Stanford? Harvard? Davidson? Vanderbilt?  Wake? ----- Over time, have these rung any bells? )  I'd add Baylor, but I don't know their academic creds.

Just wondering.   :-\

Baylor is pretty selective as well.  A lot of people try to get into Baylor, TCU, and SMU, but don't qualify
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Thanks, Tex, for the view on good Texas schools.  It proves that it is possible to maintain high academic standards and recruit great STUDENT athletes while competing nationally.  And by competing on a national stage, that allows the university to directly and indirectly promote its academic and Christian ideals in full view of the country.  To me it sounds like the ideal vehicle to project a clear vision of Valpo without being classified as a jock factory. All we have to do as a university is carpe diem!                          But will we ???