• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents' scoreboard

Started by bbtds, November 27, 2012, 02:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

2/13/13 Wednesday

Nebraska             47
Indiana                76

Miami(OH)            70
Kent                     87

Ball State             56 
Northern Illinois   52

New Mexico          54
Fresno State        48

2/14/13 Thursday - all times EST

Tennessee Tech at Eastern Kentucky 7:00 p.m.
Georgia Southern at Citadel 7:05 p.m.
Oakland at South Dakota 8:00 p.m.
Murray State at Southern Illinois-Edwdsvl 8:00 p.m.
Fort Wayne at Kansas City 8:05 p.m.
IUPUI at South Dakota State 8:05 p.m.

LaPorteAveApostle

Obviously we all have our rooting interests with the contenders, but what about the rest of the league?

Because of differing amounts of common opponents, not all HL teams are created equal.  Fractionally unequal (highest RPI weight on here is 4.24, and lowest is 4.15, so not a huge range...2+%), but unequal nonetheless.

Here's a list of who we should root for in the riveting (for example) CSU-Milwaukee matchup.

for valpo's rpi's sake, root for the team higher on the list in any HL matchup:
Loyola
UIC
Milwaukee
YSU
Green Bay
CSU
WSU
Detroit

(i swear, it just came out that way.  although if it didn't I still might have put detroit on the bottom anyhow.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

2/14/13 Thursday

Tennessee Tech           69
Eastern Kentucky         80

Georgia Southern         78
Citadel                          57

Oakland                        76
South Dakota                75

Murray State                 60
Southern Illinois-Edw    65

Fort Wayne                  65
Kansas City                  60

IUPUI                            45
South Dakota State      82

2/15/13 Friday - all times EST

*Milwaukee at Youngstown State 7:05 p.m.
*Green Bay at Cleveland State 9:00 p.m.

bbtds

Could have a major upset on our hands. SIUE is leading Murray State by 5 points with 7 minutes to go in suburban St. Louis.

And SIU-E does pull off the upset 65-60 over Murray State in Edwardsville, IL.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on February 14, 2013, 08:23:09 PM
Could have a major upset on our hands. SIUE is leading Murray State by 5 points with 7 minutes to go in suburban St. Louis.

And SIU-E does pull off the upset 65-60 over Murray State in Edwardsville, IL.

that's gonna hurt a bit. but props to edwardsville. this is only, i believe, their second year of division 1 ball.

bbtds

2/15/13 Friday

Milwaukee                80
Youngstown State    94

Green Bay                66
Cleveland State        59

2/16/13 Saturday - all times EST

Kent at Ohio 11:00 a.m.
*UI-Chicago at Loyola (IL) 2:00 p.m.
Georgia Southern at Charleston 4:00 p.m.
*Detroit at Valpo 6:00 p.m.
Northern Illinois at Western Michigan 6:00 p.m.
Charlotte at Saint Louis 7:00 p.m.
Jacksonville State at Eastern Kentucky 7:00 p.m.
Murray State at Eastern Illinois 7:00 p.m.
Oakland at Kansas City 7:15 p.m.
Michigan State at Nebraska 8:00 p.m.
Fort Wayne at South Dakota 8:00 p.m.
IUPUI at North Dakota State 8:00 p.m.
Missouri State at Southern Illinois-Carb 8:05 p.m.
Boise State at New Mexico 9:00 p.m.

talksalot

Pick Time!

Kent at Ohio 11:00 a.m.                  Bobcats unstoppable at home
*UI-Chicago at Loyola (IL) 2:00 p.m.      Loyola.... but I don't know why
Georgia Southern at Charleston 4:00 p.m.     Ga Southern... they won by 22 last night, they're rested
*Detroit at Valpo 6:00 p.m.          er uh... OK Valpo by 10
Northern Illinois at Western Michigan 6:00 p.m.           Leathernecks in a blitzkreig
Charlotte at Saint Louis 7:00 p.m.                        Billikens... Charlotte's had their win this week
Jacksonville State at Eastern Kentucky 7:00 p.m.           Colonels... at home...
Murray State at Eastern Illinois 7:00 p.m.                 Murray State... because they are PO'd
Oakland at Kansas City 7:15 p.m.                       Oakland, still smoking in the Summit
Michigan State at Nebraska 8:00 p.m.                 Spartans, cough cough
Fort Wayne at South Dakota 8:00 p.m.                South Dakota, over at halftime
IUPUI at North Dakota State 8:00 p.m.                    ND State, over before the first media timeout
Missouri State at Southern Illinois-Carb 8:05 p.m.             Saluki's ... because they are at home
Boise State at New Mexico 9:00 p.m.                       Lobo's... don't lose in the Pit.

OK Your turn!

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on February 15, 2013, 09:05:08 PM
Pick Time!

Kent at Ohio 11:00 a.m.                  Bobcats unstoppable at home (I'll take Kent, they played tough in last game)
*UI-Chicago at Loyola (IL) 2:00 p.m.      Loyola.... but I don't know why (UI-Chi! Loyola hasn't played well lately)
Georgia Southern at Charleston 4:00 p.m.     Ga Southern... they won by 22 last night, they're rested(agree-I'll go with Eagles)
*Detroit at Valpo 6:00 p.m.          er uh... OK Valpo by 10 (Valpo in a nail biter but who cares as long as we win)
Northern Illinois at Western Michigan 6:00 p.m.           Leathernecks in a blitzkreig maybe Broncos in a stampede? Remember our middle name.
Charlotte at Saint Louis 7:00 p.m.                        Billikens... Charlotte's had their win this week(SLU's D is overwhelming)
Jacksonville State at Eastern Kentucky 7:00 p.m.           Colonels... at home...(Jack State in last place, Colonels too good for them)
Murray State at Eastern Illinois 7:00 p.m.                 Murray State... because they are PO'd(agree-Racers bounce back)
Oakland at Kansas City 7:15 p.m.                       Oakland, still smoking in the Summit(agree wouldn't want to have to play Grizz now)
Michigan State at Nebraska 8:00 p.m.                 Spartans, cough cough (no chance for Huskers-did you see Almeida versus Zeller?)
Fort Wayne at South Dakota 8:00 p.m.                South Dakota, over at halftime(agree, Masties aren't nasty enough)
IUPUI at North Dakota State 8:00 p.m.                    ND State, over before the first media timeout(agree, Jags will be overwhelmed by Bison)
Missouri State at Southern Illinois-Carb 8:05 p.m.             Saluki's ... because they are at home(pretty much a toss-up by since it's in Little Egypt I'll go with SIU-seeeee)
Boise State at New Mexico 9:00 p.m.                       Lobo's... don't lose in the Pit.(agree-all Lobos)

OK Your turn!

I wonder how many of you know where the nickname Salukis comes from. Anyone?

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on February 15, 2013, 09:33:18 PMI wonder how many of you know where the nickname Salukis comes from. Anyone?

I was right that it sounded like a dog breed - but I didn't know (or didn't remember?) the whole Cairo, etc. connection.

talksalot

sorry about the Bronks... I misread that as Western ILLINOIS... which would be really stupid this time of year... my humble apologizes to the Zoo'ers...as for the game... NiU would lose to most of the Western teams... Illinois, Michigan, Carolina, ... whatever...

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2013, 10:33:39 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 15, 2013, 09:33:18 PMI wonder how many of you know where the nickname Salukis comes from. Anyone?

I was right that it sounded like a dog breed - but I didn't know (or didn't remember?) the whole Cairo, etc. connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Illinois

Origin of "Little Egypt" name

Southern Illinois is also known as "Little Egypt."
The nickname "Egypt" may have arisen in the 1830s, when poor harvests in the north of the state drove people to Southern Illinois to buy grain. Others say it was because the land of the great Mississippi and Ohio River valleys were like that of Egypt's Nile delta. According to Hubbs, the nickname may date back to 1818, when a huge tract of land was purchased at the confluence of the rivers and its developers named it Cairo (/ˈkɛəroʊ/) Today, the town of Cairo still stands on the peninsula where the Ohio River joins the Mississippi. Other settlements in the area were also given names with Egyptian, Greek or Middle Eastern origins: The Southern Illinois University Salukis sports teams and towns such as Thebes, Dongola, Palestine, Lebanon, New Athens (/njuː ˈeɪθənz/), Sparta, and Karnak show the influence of classical culture. (Greek names were also related to the contemporary national pride in the new republic of the early 19th century, and were given to towns throughout the Midwest.) Egyptian names were concentrated in towns of Little Egypt but also appeared in towns further south. For instance, about 100 miles (200 km) south of Cairo, along the Mississippi, lies Memphis, Tennessee, named after the Egyptian city on the Nile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saluki

The Saluki, (Persian: تازی، ‎ Arabic: سلوقی‎) also known as the Persian Greyhound and Royal Dog of Egypt is one of the oldest known breeds of domesticated dog.

The pronunciation of names of cities is somewhat interesting in Southern Illinois. Vienna, IL is pronounced VI-anna. Exit 30 off I-57 is for Highway 146. Highway 146 runs between the twin cities of Anna-Jonesboro and Vienna. The exit is known as the Anna/VI-anna exit (and you must remember when they pronounce the name it sounds like a Kentucky drawl).

bbtds

2/16/13 Saturday

Kent                                      75
Ohio                                      78

UI-Chicago                             60
Loyola (IL)                             69

Georgia Southern                  60
Charleston                             69

Detroit                                    84
Valpo                                     74

Northern Illinois                      58
Western Michigan                   66

Charlotte                                 58
Saint Louis                              76

Jacksonville State                    67
Eastern Kentucky                    80

Murray State                           70
Eastern Illinois                        79

Oakland                                  86
Kansas City                             74

Michigan State                        73 
Nebraska                                64

Fort Wayne                             64   
South Dakota                         51

IUPUI                                      39   
North Dakota State                75

Missouri State                        54   
Southern Illinois-Carb            62

Boise State                            50   
New Mexico                           60

2/17/13 Sunday - all times EST

*Milwaukee at Cleveland State 2:00 p.m.
*Green Bay at Youngstown State 2:05 p.m.

bbtds

Murray State sure has fallen on tough times. Another big loss to a lower level OVC team in Eastern Illinois after the even bigger loss to SIU-E. You have to wonder how the Racers could fall so far and how these losses will effect Valpo's RPI/BPI.

bbtds

2/17/13 Sunday

Milwaukee               67
Cleveland State       88

Green Bay               71   
Youngstown State   54

2/18/13 Monday - all times EST

Howard at Bethune-Cookman 7:30 p.m.

EddieCabot

Quote from: bbtds on February 17, 2013, 12:14:55 AM
Murray State sure has fallen on tough times. Another big loss to a lower level OVC team in Eastern Illinois after the even bigger loss to SIU-E. You have to wonder how the Racers could fall so far and how these losses will effect Valpo's RPI/BPI.

Agreed ... that win that looked great in December has lost a little lustre.  This hurts Valpo's resume because they now have only one win over a top-100 RPI team (Detroit).  The good news is they get another shot against EKU and will likely see Detroit again in the HL tourney. 

Unfortunately, things like this are out of Valpo's control ... they just need to keep winning games and let things sort themselves out.  I know this is being discussed in another thread, but I think the Detroit loss rules out a #12 seed, but a #13 is still likely with a strong finish.

bbtds

2/18/13 Monday

Howard                    50
Bethune-Cookman   64

2/19/13 Tuesday - all times EST

Valpo at Loyola 8:00 p.m.
Chicago State at Nebraska-Omaha 8:00 p.m.
Northern Iowa at Missouri State 8:00 p.m.
Virginia Commonwealth at Saint Louis 9:00 p.m.

bbtds

2/19/13 Tuesday

Valpo                               85
Loyola (IL)                       76

Chicago State                 75
Nebraska-Omaha            79

Northern Iowa                 69
Missouri State                  63

Virginia Commonwealth   62
Saint Louis                       76

2/20/13 Wednesday - all times EST

Austin Peay at Eastern Kentucky 7:00 p.m.
*Wright State at Cleveland State 7:00 p.m.
Murray State at Morehead State 7:00 p.m.
Oakland at Fort Wayne 7:00 p.m.
*UI-Chicago at Milwaukee 8:00 p.m.

bbtds

2/20/12 Wednesday

Austin Peay             53
Eastern Kentucky    91

Wright State             50
Cleveland State         41

Murray State            106  2 OT
Morehead State       100

Oakland                   71
Fort Wayne              77

UI-Chicago                53
Milwaukee                 64

2/21/13 Thursday - all times EST

Wofford at Georgia Southern 7:00 p.m.

vu72

UIC-Milwaukee has no impact, but who do we root for in the WSU-CSU matchup?  Presumably CSU, but if WSU wins do they tie GB and somehow give us an advantage?  This is way over my head!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 14, 2013, 03:48:03 PMfor valpo's rpi's sake, root for the team higher on the list in any HL matchup:
Loyola
UIC
Milwaukee
YSU
Green Bay
CSU
WSU
Detroit

this helps a little.  (a very little...CSU impact on VU:  4.17; WSU: 4.15)

OR

consider who you want in our bracket:  we'll see 4 or 5 (because the only upset Milwaukee is pulling is Andy Geiger's stomach, and Loyola without Averkamp is not averGood) which, at this point:

4--WSU
5--YSU

If you don't want to see WSU in the semi, root for them to win and maybe they can get up to 3. 
Or, hey, we beat 'em twice, root for them lose to ensure we don't have Green Bay fall down to the 4/5 zone.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I don't care about any other team but Detroit in regards to the conference tournament.  None of the other teams can do to us what they can, and I see us mowing over our semi-final opponent at home, regardless of who it is...a la Butler last year  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

2/21/13 Thursday

Wofford                  53
Georgia Southern   47

2/22/13 Friday - all times EST

Saint Louis at Butler 7:00 p.m.

bbtds

2/22/13 Friday

Saint Louis   65
Butler           61

2/23/13 Saturday - all times EST

Eastern Kentucky at Valpo 1:00 p.m.
Iowa at Nebraska 2:00 p.m.
Evansville at Wright State 2:00 p.m.
Milwaukee at IUPUI 3:00 p.m.
New Mexico at Colorado State 4:00 p.m.
South Carolina State at Bethune-Cookman 4:00 p.m.
Detroit at Wichita State 4:00 p.m.
Bradley at UI-Chicago 4:00 p.m.
Eastern Illinois at Northern Illinois 4:00 p.m.
Kent at Loyola (IL) 4:00 p.m.
Missouri State at Eastern Michigan 4:30 p.m.
Morehead State at Oakland 5:00 p.m.
Furman at Georgia Southern 7:00 p.m.
Bowling Green at Fort Wayne 7:00 p.m.
Central Michigan at Youngstown State 7:05 p.m.
South Dakota State at Murray State 8:00 p.m.
Cleveland State at Western Illinois 8:00 p.m.
Green Bay at Drake 8:05 p.m.
Texas-Pan American at Chicago State 8:30 p.m.

bbtds

2/23/13 Saturday

Eastern Kentucky       60
Valpo                         82

Iowa                           60
Nebraska                    64

Evansville                   70
Wright State                58

Milwaukee                   95   2 OT
IUPUI                          88

New Mexico                91 
Colorado State           82

South Carolina State   75
Bethune-Cookman      85

Detroit                         79
Wichita State              94

Bradley                        63
UI-Chicago                   62

Kent                            70
Loyola (IL)                   63

Eastern Illinois             59
Northern Illinois           47

Missouri State               57
Eastern Michigan          54

Morehead State            79  OT
Oakland                        82

Furman                          61
Georgia Southern          78

Bowling Green              75
Fort Wayne                   88

Central Michigan           75
Youngstown State          86

South Dakota State       62
Murray State                  73

Cleveland State               60
Western Illinois              54

Green Bay                       54
Drake                             71

Texas-Pan American      55
Chicago State                51

2/25/13 Monday - all times EST

Savannah State at Bethune-Cookman 7:30 p.m.

talksalot

OK Prediction Time ...
Eastern Kentucky at Valpo 1:00 p.m. - Valpo covers the 30 point throw down and win's by 7
Iowa at Nebraska 2:00 p.m. - Hawkeyes survive the storm in Lincoln, by 13
Evansville at Wright State 2:00 p.m. - Conlon at home...WSU by 8
Milwaukee at IUPUI 3:00 p.m. - 0-0 final score, they play rock-paper-scissors to determine winner.
New Mexico at Colorado State 4:00 p.m. - Lobos by 4 in a nice road win
South Carolina State at Bethune-Cookman 4:00 p.m. - BC just because
Detroit at Wichita State 4:00 p.m. - WSU in a Shocker!
Bradley at UI-Chicago 4:00 p.m. - UIC in triple OT
Eastern Illinois at Northern Illinois 4:00 p.m. - Eastern wins this directional tilt
Kent at Loyola (IL) 4:00 p.m. - Loyola if Ben plays, Kent if he doesn't
Missouri State at Eastern Michigan 4:30 p.m. - Can MoState finally do something to help our RPI?  No. Former Hurons win
Morehead State at Oakland 5:00 p.m. - Kampi won't lose two in a row...
Furman at Georgia Southern 7:00 p.m. - GA Southern because PETA does not like Fur, Man.
Bowling Green at Fort Wayne 7:00 p.m. - Mastadons are tough to beat in the coliseum, battle for Lima / VanWert recruiting rights
Central Michigan at Youngstown State 7:05 p.m. - See how they try to find a way to play without EndrikKay ErryPay, score is meaningless
South Dakota State at Murray State 8:00 p.m. - SDState keeps Murray State on its downward plummet
Cleveland State at Western Illinois 8:00 p.m. - If nobody covers the game, does the coach still complain about losing?  Leathernecks by 10
Green Bay at Drake 8:05 p.m. - GB can't win on the road... how many times do we have to keep saying that.  Dogs by 6
Texas-Pan American at Chicago State 8:30 p.m. - I'm sorry, I did not realize these teams were playing, my coin landed on the edge.