• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents' scoreboard

Started by bbtds, November 27, 2012, 02:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

3/13/13 Wednesday

Bethune-Cookman     70  OT    (MEAC Quarterfinal at Norfolk)
Norfolk State              68

Wyoming                    46     (Mountain West Quarterfinal at Las Vegas 9:30 p.m. EDT)
New Mexico                59

3/14/13 Thursday - all times EDT

Nebraska vs Purdue (B1G 1st round at United Center, Chicago) 6:30 p.m.

Teams to root against

3/13/13 Wednesday

Lafayette            56       (Patriot League Final at #1 seed)
Bucknell             64

wh

WarrenNolan.com Facebook Page
about an hour ago
Just been told that server issue should be resolved in less than 60 minutes...

agibson

And they're back... And we're down to 60 - not sure what changed.  Some dispute about UMass ' RPI, apparently.

agibson

Wow.  Norfolk State, who Bethune Cookman currently trails by 6, went 16-0 in conference.

And their RPI rank is 166.

Strength of Schedule ranking?  _331_

agibson

Well done Bethune Cookman!  Knocking off Norfolk State in overtime, and ending the second longest win streak in the NCAA.  Some team in North Carolina has the longest.

bbtds

Bethune-Cookman knocked off Norfolk State???????   Norfolk and Cookman Way!!!!!!!!!!!

bbtds

3/14/13 Thursday

Nebraska         57          (B1G 1st round at United Center, Chicago)
Purdue             55

Buffalo             68          (MAC Quarterfinal at Cleveland)
Kent                 70

3/15/13 Friday - all times EDT

Chicago State vs Texas-Pan American (Great West Semifinal at Chicago) 8:30 p.m.
San Diego State vs New Mexico (Mountain West Semifinal at Las Vegas) 9:00 p.m.

Teams to root against

3/14/13 Thursday

Texas State             72          (WAC Quarterfinals at Las Vegas-all below)
Denver                    68

New Mexico State   65
Idaho                       49

Texas-San Antonio   73
Louisiana Tech        67

agibson

I think the whole rest of the WAC is in action today, too?  It's not completely clear how to cheer.  I suppose it's too much to ask for all of Denver, New Mexico State, and Louisiana State to lose?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 14, 2013, 12:33:38 PM
I think the whole rest of the WAC is in action today, too?  It's not completely clear how to cheer.  I suppose it's too much to ask for all of Denver, New Mexico State, and Louisiana State to lose?

New Mexico St is playing Idaho & Louisiana Tech is playing Texas-San Anton.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on March 14, 2013, 12:33:38 PM

The seeding benefit would only happen if Louisiana Tech, Denver, AND New Mexico St all lost. Utah St., Texas Arlington, Texas San Antonio, or Texas St would have to win the WAC tournament. If Denver, NM St, or Utah State gets upset (but one of those wins) it may move us to a better lower RPI since they're all right under Valpo.

valpo4life

Denver goes down in the quarterfinals to the hands of Texas State 72-68.

justducky

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 14, 2013, 05:07:39 PMThe seeding benefit would only happen if Louisiana Tech, Denver, AND New Mexico St all lost.

Like I said, it seems like a lot to ask.  But, hey, we're on track so far.  Four more games to get two pretty good teams to lose to two lesser teams.

Our RPI did jump ahead of Denver's, but since they're out of contention I doubt it really changes much.  Maybe we seem a little closer to e.g. Bucknell now?

But, hey, 58 - not bad.  And New Mexico State might drop below us even if they beat 265 Texas State.

Memphis and Southern Miss weren't as accommodating as Denver, unfortunately.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 14, 2013, 08:10:51 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 14, 2013, 05:07:39 PMThe seeding benefit would only happen if Louisiana Tech, Denver, AND New Mexico St all lost.

Like I said, it seems like a lot to ask.  But, hey, we're on track so far.  Four more games to get two pretty good teams to lose to two lesser teams.

Our RPI did jump ahead of Denver's, but since they're out of contention I doubt it really changes much.  Maybe we seem a little closer to e.g. Bucknell now?

But, hey, 58 - not bad.  And New Mexico State might drop below us even if they beat 265 Texas State.

3auge, you are focused WAY to much on just the rpi.  The other WAC teams are not close to Valpo in other systems.  Denver was the dog in the fight and they when home very unexpectedly and in the quarter-finals.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 08:18:03 PM

3auge, you are focused WAY to much on just the rpi.  The other WAC teams are not close to Valpo in other systems.  Denver was the dog in the fight and they when home very unexpectedly and in the quarter-finals.

Which teams are not close to Valpo and in what systems? In the combined rankings, Denver is (was) 7 spots better than Valpo, Louisiana Tech was 1 worse, and New Mexico State 15 worse. They're close, but the winner will get better in the rankings with two more wins, one being a top 75 team. Each team has a top 50 win and a couple more top 100 wins. Valpo doesn't have any top 50 wins, and has one sub 200 loss (so does LT). I would at least say they're close, but I can't see Valpo getting a 13 while one of those 3 WAC teams I mentioned gets a 14 seed.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on March 14, 2013, 05:14:19 AMTexas-San Antonio   43  13;49  2nd half
Louisiana Tech        41

LA Tech down 8 with less than ten to play.  We've got a chance here!

LA Tech probably fouling?  Down 6 with less than a minute to play.  Hit your free throws, San Antonio!

San Antonio wins!

Now we just need New Mexico State to lose tomorrow or Saturday.  Others have shown it can be done, for sure.

LaPorteAveApostle

Now we have only 1 of the 4 to root against.  that's a good chance.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on March 14, 2013, 09:26:47 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 08:18:03 PM

Which teams are not close to Valpo and in what systems? In the combined rankings, Denver is (was) 7 spots better than Valpo, Louisiana Tech was 1 worse, and New Mexico State 15 worse. They're close, but the winner will get better in the rankings with two more wins, one being a top 75 team. Each team has a top 50 win and a couple more top 100 wins. Valpo doesn't have any top 50 wins, and has one sub 200 loss (so does LT). I would at least say they're close, but I can't see Valpo getting a 13 while one of those 3 WAC teams I mentioned gets a 14 seed.

Here's my thinking.  The rpi doesn't weight the location of the game.  Thus, a win at home means no more than a win on the road.  I might be wrong.  the bpi and Sagarin takes these things into account.  LaTech and NM St are ranked 83 and 84 in one and 74 and 79 in the other, while Valpo is ranked 66 and 63. At the same time the rpi has them ranked  at 48 and 58.  See the disparity?  Sure, they will move up with wins but so will we with teams like Nebraska winning.  It will be a very interesting and informative next few days!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 10:19:28 PMThe rpi doesn't weight the location of the game.

Since 2004 the RPI has some accounting for location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_Percentage_Index#Basketball_Formula

Home losses and road wins carry extra weight, while home wins and road losses carry less weight.

As for Nebraska and Kent State winning.  They definitely help... a little.  Unfortunately, most of our opponents are done playing.

At this, very late, point in the season if you're still playing your own wins and losses, and what new teams you're adding to your schedule, matters the most for your RPI.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 14, 2013, 10:26:10 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2013, 10:19:28 PMThe rpi doesn't weight the location of the game.

Since 2004 the RPI has some accounting for location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_Percentage_Index#Basketball_Formula

Home losses and road wins carry extra weight, while home wins and road losses carry less weight.

As for Nebraska and Kent State winning.  They definitely help... a little.  Unfortunately, most of our opponents are done playing.

At this, very late, point in the season if you're still playing your own wins and losses, and what new teams you're adding to your schedule, matters the most for your RPI.

Impressive detail, erh, partical research Professor!  You must enjoy numbers!  ;)

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 14, 2013, 05:14:19 AMTeams to root against

3/14/13 Thursday

Texas State             72          (WAC Quarterfinals at Las Vegas-all below)
Denver                    68

New Mexico State   [size=78%]65[/size]
[size=78%]Idaho                       49[/size]

Texas-San Antonio   73
Louisiana Tech        67

Well, as Meatloaf sang, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Wow, who would have thought that two bad TX schools would help my program?  :)  Texas State is party central, and UTSA is irrelevant  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 15, 2013, 12:16:47 AM
Wow, who would have thought that two bad TX schools would help my program?  :)  Texas State is party central, and UTSA is irrelevant  ;)

It could be a huge party in San Marcos if the Bobcats can knock off NM State and then play for a trip to the Big Dance.

ValpoHoops

We will set a dozen more finals today...I will update the "Seeding" post as those get set for some perspective on the whole deal. Also, root for Utah in the Pac-12.

a3uge

Hey guys, be sure to root for the huge upset Houston Baptist over NJIT.