• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents' scoreboard

Started by bbtds, November 27, 2012, 02:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

We sure will find out more about the selection committee mode of operation on Sunday.  The whole SF Austin, New Mexico, Valpo thing is very interesting.  In Valpo's case the rankings between Sagarin, BPI and RPI are very similar coming in at 64, 63, and 59 respectively.  However in both SF Austin (ranked 86, 75, and 61) and New Mexico State (ranked 82,76 and 57), there is a fair amount of disparity.  Should be interesting...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

The huge upset of Houston Baptist over NJIT is irrelevant because the Great West Conference doesn't get a bid to the Dance, so I'm hoping that's sarcasm I smell, and not a dog fart.

Also, in terms of the RPI weighing the location, do they weigh the location of a tournament game in the conference tournament? I think that's what the intent of the weighing of the location of tournament meant this time. Yes, they do weigh this during the regular season, but not sure that tournament locations make a difference to RPI during the conference tourneys, as so many conferences play in one location for the entire tourney, and in most cases, it is a very neutral site, whether city or arena.

a3uge

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Belmont.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Northwestern.html

Notice these were technically neutral sites but were make as home games. Illinois was not a home game. States don't carry over. Hope that answers question

agibson

This may vary by who's calculating the RPI.  Compare Warren Nolan.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2013/schedule/Wright-State

Wright State's tournament games against YSU and Detroit were marked neutral.  And their game against us was marked away.  Which, neutrality HL rules aside, all looks correct.

I assume the NCAA (whose calculation the committee uses, presumably) also handles tournament games in this way. 

I don't know if it's _always_ this clear cut (what about a "neutral" court in the same city, like UIC hosting at the United Center or something?), but much of the time it probably is.

a3uge

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2013/schedule/Iowa

Good point. Nolan had vs Northwestern while rpi forecast has an away game. I imagine it's so minuscule at this point to actually matter.

The game was at the UC

valpocleveland

Come on Kent State! Nice thing about the tourney being in Cleveland is that all the games are on TV.

bbtds

3/15/13 Friday

Charlotte                   55          (A-10 Quarterfinal at Brooklyn)
Saint Louis                 72

Bethune-Cookman     72          (MEAC Semifinal at Norfolk)
Morgan State             81

Nebraska                   50           (B1G Quarterfinal at United Center, Chicago)
Ohio State                 71

Kent                           59          (MAC Semifinal at Cleveland)
Akron                         62

Chicago State             63          (Great West Semifinal at Chicago)
Texas-Pan American   55

San Diego State          50          (Mountain West Semifinal at Las Vegas)
New Mexico                 60

Teams to root against

South East Louisiana     57          (Southland Semifinal at Katy, TX)
Stephen F. Austin          68

Kent                               59          (MAC Semifinal at Cleveland)
Akron                             62

Texas State                    65          (WAC Semifinal at Las Vegas)
New Mexico State         74

bbtds

The fact that Chicago State is making a run to the Great West championship doesn't hurt as much as it would if they had already lost. Or does it?

I don't think I've been against Butler as much as this game against SLU except when they are playing Valpo. GO BILLIKENS!!!!!! Yes, I'm obsessed, historyman!

Go Ohio! Go NW St!

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 16, 2013, 01:37:51 AMI don't think I've been against Butler as much as this game against SLU except when they are playing Valpo. GO BILLIKENS!!!!!! Yes, I'm obsessed, historyman!

I want to see Saint Louis beat Butler too. But only because a SLU win helps Valpo. Caring about how Butler does is so fruitless and the amount of time this board spends on this irrelevant team is mind boggling.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

Oh No!  With Rutgers, Farleigh Dickinson, Rider, St Francis, and Princeton all knocked out... NJIT was my only Garden State Chance!  but, since the Great West does not get a guaranteed bid... probably won't happen...

bbtds

I have been watching games on ESPN 3 and it's interesting that ORU lost to Sam Houston St (are there any universities in that conference that aren't named after people that have large cities named after them?) in a quarterfinal Southland Conf game. Another interesting fact is that SFA coach, Danny Kaspar, has the best hair among men's basketball coaches next to Rick Pitino.

The best player name in Div.I is Onochie Ochie of Southeastern Louisiana.

http://www.lionsports.net/roster.aspx?rp_id=1793&path=mbball

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2013, 01:43:01 AMthe amount of time this board spends on this irrelevant team is mind boggling

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo04

Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2013, 01:43:01 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 16, 2013, 01:37:51 AMI don't think I've been against Butler as much as this game against SLU except when they are playing Valpo. GO BILLIKENS!!!!!! Yes, I'm obsessed, historyman!

I want to see Saint Louis beat Butler too. But only because a SLU win helps Valpo. Caring about how Butler does is so fruitless and the amount of time this board spends on this irrelevant team is mind boggling.

St. Louis 67, Butler 56! 

bbtds

3/16/13 Saturday

Butler                    56          (A10 Semifinal at Brooklyn)
Saint Louis            67

Houston Baptist    60          (Great West Championship at Chicago 8:30 p.m. EDT)
Chicago State       75

Nev.-Las Vegas     56          (Mountain West Championship at Las Vegas 6:00 p.m. EDT -CBS)
New Mexico           63

Teams to root against

3/16/13 Saturday

Ohio                           46          (MAC Championship at Cleveland 6:30 p.m. EDT ESPN 2)
Akron                        65

Northwestern State   68          (Southland Championship at Katy, TX 8:30 p.m. EDT ESPN 2)
Stephen F Austin      66  (2 pts taken from SFA. Refs determine last 2 pointer at end of 1st half was after shot clock expired)

Texas-Arlington          55          (WAC Championship at Las Vegas 11:00 p.m. EDT ESPNU)
New Mexico State     64

agibson

Don't forget to root against New Mexico State in the nightcap!

I hadn't noticed Ohio's RPI climbing: they're at 66, and might well pass us if they beat Akron.  We probably still prefer them to Akron, but it's no kind of a slam dunk.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 16, 2013, 04:06:42 PM
Don't forget to root against New Mexico State in the nightcap!

I hadn't noticed Ohio's RPI climbing: they're at 66, and might well pass us if they beat Akron.  We probably still prefer them to Akron, but it's no kind of a slam dunk.

I was in wrong mode with New Mexico State. I have to ignore them when looking for New Mexico.  NM St is in there now.

wh

Quote from: valpo04 on March 16, 2013, 02:48:42 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2013, 01:43:01 AM

St. Louis 67, Butler 56! 

St. Louis (3-0) Butler (0-3)

ValpoHoops

agibson

Alas, Palm updated his bracket before NW State went final.

I'd have been curious to see _which_ 14 seed he had us.  I wouldn't be surprised if he still had us there.

wh

Palm showing us as a 13, matched up with Marquette in San Jose.  Lunardi the same.

StlVUFan

I must say, I find this talk of San Jose very distressing.  I'll have you know I have my heart set on driving to the venue.

agibson

Nice!  I didn't realize he was updating continuously.

He seemed approximately as pessimistic on our seed as anyone else, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable in a 13.

Still, it's be good to see New Mexico State lose.

wh

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 16, 2013, 11:09:46 PM
I must say, I find this talk of San Jose very distressing.  I'll have you know I have my heart set on driving to the venue.

Just a leisurely 2100 mile drive from St. Louis, but you may wanna get started pretty soon.  ;)

valpotx

I really hope it isn't San Jose.  I do not like the state of CA.  The highways are absolutely disgusting  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on March 16, 2013, 11:17:21 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on March 16, 2013, 11:09:46 PM

Just a leisurely 2100 mile drive from St. Louis, but you may wanna get started pretty soon.  ;)
If it doesn't break the bank, I would obviously be flying.

KANSAS CITY!  KANSAS CITY!  KANSAS CITY!