• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Chatter about the new board?

Started by agibson, March 09, 2011, 06:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Do we have a thread somewhere for general chatter about the new board?
If not, I guess this could be it.

agibson

I suppose the community will vote with its feet, but I'm sort of inclined to keep 2010-2011 material on the old board.
It's important that this board get established before the season ends, but it does feel artificial to switch "mid"-season.

If this site allows more ownership of our material, or more flexibility, I'm all for it.

I will miss the old banner, perhaps it could be archived somewhere on the site?  (The new one's nice too.)

agibson

From valpo04 on the old board:
This board will continue to operate normally untl Selection Sunday (this Sunday). At that time, we will close it down to NEW TOPICS. All existing threads will remain open for discussion until May 1, but any and all new discussions will take place on the new board. This will allow all conference and pre-NCAA tournament talk to continue here, while helping everyone transition to our new home.

Hopefully this will help folks who have been checking each board for new topics.

Well, OK, so much for "voting with [their] feet" ;)

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2011, 07:33:43 AM
From valpo04 on the old board:
This board will continue to operate normally untl Selection Sunday (this Sunday). At that time, we will close it down to NEW TOPICS. All existing threads will remain open for discussion until May 1, but any and all new discussions will take place on the new board. This will allow all conference and pre-NCAA tournament talk to continue here, while helping everyone transition to our new home.

Hopefully this will help folks who have been checking each board for new topics.

Well, OK, so much for "voting with [their] feet" ;)

Yeah, Hoops and I were discussing the best way to transition everyone over, without having people check both boards for new posts.  Since we have the ability to close the old one to new topics, we figured this was the best way to do it.

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2011, 06:02:29 AM
I will miss the old banner, perhaps it could be archived somewhere on the site?  (The new one's nice too.)

I have saved off the old banner here:  http://valpofanzone.com/forum/valpoffbanner.jpg

Not sure what we will do with it, perhaps we can use it occasionally like a "throwback" uniform  ;D

valpo04

For those that care about such things... the member groups are slightly different here:

NameRequired Posts

Your username shows up green in the Online list at the bottom if you are a New Member.

Also, New Members are restricted accounts.  You cannot post links or change your Profile until you become a Walk-On.

valpo04

I have enabled timezone selection in your profile.  If you are in a timezone different from CST/CDT, you can go to your profile, click on "Look and Layout Preferences" and select your timezone there.

valpo04

Sweet... it worked...

To embed a video, just paste the URL!

This should work for all Youtube videos plus many other sites.  To see if your video will embed, just hit "Preview" before posting.

valpo04

Often times, we pull quotes or other portions of articles from off sources outside of the board.  If you want to quote someone, like a reporter, here is how to do it:

[quote="[url=http://somesite.com]Name[/url]"]Quoted Text[/quote]

Example:

Quote from: Jim PetersIt's been 25 long years since my last haircut.

When I started going thin up top in my early 20s, I just didn't think it was right that someone with only the remnants of a once proud nation of hair should have to pay the same price as the full-headed patrons at the barber shop. At least that's what they were called back then.

valpo04

Just found something I didn't know existed!  If you click on the new post Valpo logo next to each board, it will pull up all of the threads with new posts on that board.