• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Admissions

Started by agibson, April 13, 2011, 01:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on April 12, 2011, 12:40:59 PM
As an example, students must now have a minimum of a B average to even apply.  The class will be larger also.  What the exact numbers are I don't know, but they should be released shortly I would think.

Interesting!  I guess the deadline for accepting financial aid is May 1. Even if there still is rolling admissions after that.  So, I suppose we might see some numbers in a few weeks.

Trolling around the admissions site, I didn't see anything about a B average requirement - I'd be curious to know what the story was there.  I think I'd oppose a hard cut there, but would be happy to hear that e.g. average GPA was high, or rising, etc.

valpopal

Here are a couple of comments by President Heckler from today's NWI Times newspaper about goals for future student admission:

"VU President Mark A. Heckler said the university's enrollment will increase to 6,000 students from 4,100, many of those coming from other nations. Heckler said officials plan to enroll about 4,500 undergrad and 1,500 graduate students and law students. About 1,000 of the 6,000 total will be foreign students."

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/article_325744ae-5399-5961-8ccf-98ca8b877d3c.html

agibson

Yep, very ambitious plans.  The time scale is short too, five years, with us already being one year into the plan? 

vu72

Quote from: agibson on April 13, 2011, 01:35:39 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 12, 2011, 12:40:59 PM
As an example, students must now have a minimum of a B average to even apply.  The class will be larger also.  What the exact numbers are I don't know, but they should be released shortly I would think.

Interesting!  I guess the deadline for accepting financial aid is May 1. Even if there still is rolling admissions after that.  So, I suppose we might see some numbers in a few weeks.

Trolling around the admissions site, I didn't see anything about a B average requirement - I'd be curious to know what the story was there.  I think I'd oppose a hard cut there, but would be happy to hear that e.g. average GPA was high, or rising, etc.

The B average thing came directly from an admissions counselor I was with at a college fair.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

The admissions site currently says (in a FAQ, http://valpo.edu/admission/faq/index.php)

What is the average incoming freshman GPA?
The average admitted student typically comes in with a 3.0-plus GPA. This is based upon an unweighted 4.0 scale.

Suggesting that they don't always come in with a "3.0-plus GPA" and so that there's no hard minimum at 3.0.  But, who knows?

vu72

OK, here are the stats, and these are right from the information sheet we use at college fairs.

SAT mid range 50% 1480-1810
ACT mid range  23-29
Average HS GPA: 3.52/4.00
32% in top 10% of class, 65% in top 25%

This was last year's class.  I'm told this years numbers will be higher.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mj

I wonder what the scores are for kids who actually enroll in the university after they've been admitted. I'm assuming that the admitted students number includes everyone, no matter if they actually wind up going to Valpo. So in theory the admitted students number could be artificially inflated if you enticed top students just to apply to Valpo, even if they had limited interest.

At my time at Valpo I met many intelligent people. I met some who might be considered brilliant. I also met some very dumb people. As in, using numbers in place of words ("4" or "2" to mean for or to) or just using a single letter for an entire word ("U" instead of "you"). I love Valpo and feel that I got a good education but I fail to see the "greatness" people always attribute to the school. 

I'm skeptical of the plan to increase students while at the same time increasing admission standards. Those two goals seem to be opposite in my opinion. How is Valpo all of a sudden going to attract a massive influx of high quality students that never before considered Valpo?

I'm skeptical because when Heckler came to visit Valpo for his interview he specifically mentioned that Valpo needs to be prepared and have programs for "kids who aren't ready for college yet". I took that to mean that Valpo would be admitting lower standards of kids and then "preparing" them for college while they were already there.
I believe that we will win.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: mj on April 15, 2011, 01:21:16 PM
I'm skeptical of the plan to increase students while at the same time increasing admission standards. Those two goals seem to be opposite in my opinion. How is Valpo all of a sudden going to attract a massive influx of high quality students that never before considered Valpo?

We should probably just create an admissions thread to discuss this, but I'll give my two cents. They are not opposing goals, but they are difficult to obtain at the same time. However, it is definitely possible to increase admission standards and students simultaneously. In fact, that's why President Heckler thought it was important to hire a Vice President for Enrollment Management. He hired someone with experience and a track record of success in doing just that. There are plenty of schools that have accomplished what Valpo is trying to do. I can't get into the details of how it works, but there are numerous strategies that the VP for Enrollment Management puts into place, and he has proven he can get results. I think you will be surprised by the admission numbers when they are released.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

I wonder what the scores are for kids who actually enroll in the university after they've been admitted. I'm assuming that the admitted students number includes everyone, no matter if they actually wind up going to Valpo. So in theory the admitted students number could be artificially inflated if you enticed top students just to apply to Valpo, even if they had limited interest.

At my time at Valpo I met many intelligent people. I met some who might be considered brilliant. I also met some very dumb people. As in, using numbers in place of words ("4" or "2" to mean for or to) or just using a single letter for an entire word ("U" instead of "you"). I love Valpo and feel that I got a good education but I fail to see the "greatness" people always attribute to the school.  

I'm skeptical because when Heckler came to visit Valpo for his interview he specifically mentioned that Valpo needs to be prepared and have programs for "kids who aren't ready for college yet". I took that to mean that Valpo would be admitting lower standards of kids and then "preparing" them for college while they were already there.

The numbers I quoted are actual for the enrolled class, not the total applicants.  also, did you know that 6%  of last year's class were valedictorians?? Did you ever wonder through Christ College??

agibson

I'm skeptical as well, but we should have a first taste of the numbers soon.  I guess these will be the results of year one of a five year plan.

When I was at Valpo last they spoke about professionalizing marketing and admissions, and a lot of people seemed confident that they could do considerably better than they had done in the past.  (Even if, on this forum, we might have mixed opinions of the new marketing efforts.)

sectionee

I wonder if this program is something that is more for the local high school kids then it would be for the enrolled VU student?

okinawatyphoon

Valpo students received two Fulbrights this year. Great work!
http://www.valpo.edu/news/news.php?releaseId=4641
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

agibson

Very good! 

On the main topic of the thread, I guess Valpo must know quite a lot
about the 2011 entering class at this point.  (With rolling admissions, etc.
it's probably never final, but I guess the big picture's clear at this point.)

Any hints?

vu72

Quote from: agibson on May 13, 2011, 03:20:14 AM
Very good! 

On the main topic of the thread, I guess Valpo must know quite a lot
about the 2011 entering class at this point.  (With rolling admissions, etc.
it's probably never final, but I guess the big picture's clear at this point.)

Any hints?

Yeah.  Here's one: At the moment there are 16 deposits from Minnesota kids. In Minnesota all the girls are pretty and the boys are above average!

agibson

16... Actually lower than I would have guessed for even a typical year.  Does our "Midwest Lutheran" reach not extend that far north?  I was friends at Valpo with at least one Minessotan, but he was a CC type so might be a special case.  We've had a couple of basketball players, but, again, maybe special cases. 

Does 16 seem good, bad, or average, to you?

valporun

Quote from: agibson on May 13, 2011, 05:57:27 AM
16... Actually lower than I would have guessed for even a typical year.  Does our "Midwest Lutheran" reach not extend that far north?  I was friends at Valpo with at least one Minessotan, but he was a CC type so might be a special case.  We've had a couple of basketball players, but, again, maybe special cases. 

Does 16 seem good, bad, or average, to you?

There are a lot of Lutheran campuses in Minnesota that native Minnesotans consider first, before a Wartburg or Valpo (Just to name two Lutheran institutions near Minnesota). I would say 16 might even be above average, considering the economic constraints currently?

vu72

It is true that although there are more Lutherans in  Minnesota than any other state, Valpo has many Lutheran college competitors.  Seriously, none can actually compete on many fronts--particularly vs, our professional schools, but vs. our liberal arts it is a difficult sale.  Part of the problem is distant as we are 8 away from Valpo via car in the Twin Cities.  If you go to Duluth you are more like 11 or 12 hour drive and that is pushing it for some.

The bigger problem is person power.  There is one admissions counselor for several states including Minnesota.  I would think 100 per year is not too lofty of a goal.  We cover all college fairs via the VAN members but Amanda Johnson is on her own to followup and close the deal.

valpofan56

16 seems about right. I came to Valpo from Minnesota and I know there were many fellow Minnesotans both in my class and in other classes, but I guess it would be hard for me to quantify the number per class from when I was at Valpo.  With a few exceptions, just about every Minnesotan I met at Valpo was from the Twin Cities area.  I on the other hand, came from central Minnesota which was about a 10 hour drive to Valpo.

Also, I must note that all the things 72 said about Minnesota students is true and then some  ;)