• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

McCafferty Trophy Standings

Started by agibson, April 18, 2011, 06:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

The Horizon League posted an update of the 2010-2011 McCafferty Trophy standings
http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/butler-continues-to-lead-mccafferty-trophy-standings.html
reflecting team performance in all horizon league sports, now including the results of all the winter seasons.

Valpo... doesn't look so great.  (10th overall; tied for 9th in mens' sports, 8th in womens').

sectionee

Ouch!  Only one way to go from here though  :-[

vu72

It's not as bad as it looks.  The scoring system, I believe, only awards points for top 4 finishes.  Thus, you could finish fifth (middle of the pack) in every sport and potentially finish dead last in the contest.  Bad scoring system.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: vu72 on April 18, 2011, 09:18:33 AM
It's not as bad as it looks.  The scoring system, I believe, only awards points for top 4 finishes.  Thus, you could finish fifth (middle of the pack) in every sport and potentially finish dead last in the contest.  Bad scoring system.

Yeah we discussed this before, and I don't agree with it either. It also only awards points in certain sports too I believe.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valporun

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on April 18, 2011, 09:21:02 AM
It's not as bad as it looks.  The scoring system, I believe, only awards points for top 4 finishes.  Thus, you could finish fifth (middle of the pack) in every sport and potentially finish dead last in the contest.  Bad scoring system.

Yeah we discussed this before, and I don't agree with it either. It also only awards points in certain sports too I believe.

Found this in the link that went to the story about the trophy points, as of now...
For the sports of men's and women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, softball and baseball, points are awarded based on combined regular-season (60 percent) and championship (40 percent) finishes.  For all other sports, points are based on performance in the League championships.

covufan

Quote from: valporun on April 19, 2011, 12:49:49 AM

Found this in the link that went to the story about the trophy points, as of now...
For the sports of men's and women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, softball and baseball, points are awarded based on combined regular-season (60 percent) and championship (40 percent) finishes.  For all other sports, points are based on performance in the League championships.

I think that all teams that compete in a sport should at least get some points.  When VU did not have teams in golf, we should rightly get 0 points towards the all-sports trophy. 

With VU's baseball and softball standings, we should move up some.  Hopefully, we'll be competitive in a few years for the McCafferty Trophy.

valporun

Quote from: covufan on May 03, 2011, 05:24:51 PM
Quote from: valporun on April 19, 2011, 12:49:49 AM

For the sports of men's and women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, softball and baseball, points are awarded based on combined regular-season (60 percent) and championship (40 percent) finishes.  For all other sports, points are based on performance in the League championships.

I think that all teams that compete in a sport should at least get some points.  When VU did not have teams in golf, we should rightly get 0 points towards the all-sports trophy. 

With VU's baseball and softball standings, we should move up some.  Hopefully, we'll be competitive in a few years for the McCafferty Trophy.

Baseball and softball both have to get to the conference championship games and get to the NCAA tournament to show a real difference in what the standings could reflect. I want to say that track will help, but we're still so far behind, and don't have a full roster to help us out in so many events.

I also get this feeling that the points are more of a reward for play during the season and postseason finish, not just because you had a team in that particular sport. If points were only given out based on regular season play, then you're essentially making it sound more like a participation trophy, rather than a title for all of your teams to work towards winning.