• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Welcome to the Horizon League Oakland, Evansivlle, and Belmont!!!!!!!

Started by Valposter, January 07, 2013, 11:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: vurich on March 15, 2013, 07:19:09 PMI was around at that time and if I recall correctly there was some speculation that Belmont was being looked at to join the Mid-Con. They made the jump to Division 1 in 1996 or 1997 and were looking for a conference affiliation and the speculation was that the home and homes were a prelude to them joining the Mid-Con. I could be mistaken but I seem to remember them having a home and home with, or at least playing some other Mid-Con members during that timeframe but don't quote me on that.  They obviously didn't end up in the Mid-Con and instead went to the Atlantic Sun, so I'm not sure how strong the interest was on either's part.
Maybe Milan or somebody else with a LaPorte County background can help with the names but I seem to remember that 2 LaPorte HS players went to and played for Bellmont in that stretch of time. My impression at that time was that Homer wanted to help them get into the Mid-Con.

vurich

Quote from: justducky on March 15, 2013, 07:40:03 PM
Quote from: vurich on March 15, 2013, 07:19:09 PMI was around at that time and if I recall correctly there was some speculation that Belmont was being looked at to join the Mid-Con. They made the jump to Division 1 in 1996 or 1997 and were looking for a conference affiliation and the speculation was that the home and homes were a prelude to them joining the Mid-Con. I could be mistaken but I seem to remember them having a home and home with, or at least playing some other Mid-Con members during that timeframe but don't quote me on that.  They obviously didn't end up in the Mid-Con and instead went to the Atlantic Sun, so I'm not sure how strong the interest was on either's part.
Maybe Milan or somebody else with a LaPorte County background can help with the names but I seem to remember that 2 LaPorte HS players went to and played for Bellmont in that stretch of time. My impression at that time was that Homer wanted to help them get into the Mid-Con.

Steve Drabyn played for Belmont in the early 2000's.  i also believe Nick Otis, son of current VHS and former LaPorte HS coach Joe Otis, played at Belmont during that same timeframe.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vurich on March 15, 2013, 08:08:18 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 15, 2013, 07:40:03 PM

Steve Drabyn played for Belmont in the early 2000's.  i also believe Nick Otis, son of current VHS and former LaPorte HS coach Joe Otis, played at Belmont during that same timeframe.

Yep, I can confirm that. It was both Drabyn and Otis. Steve's dad was an assistant under Otis too. Adam Mark from Breman also played there at that time and of note shot 70% from the field...yes you read that correctly.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

historyman

As I recall many in the Mid-Con didn't think Belmont would be a good addition to the Mid-Con because they didn't win many games and they weren't sure about their commitment to facilities.   
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

Vurich's memory is the same as mine... we were in a "courting" stage, as it were.   Then Tonagel hits a 77' shot (that seems to get farther and farther as the years go on) to beat them at the buzzer and we stopped hearing from them.

Speaking of Tonagel, I see his Indiana Wesleyan beat Ryan Wronkowicz's Lourdes team in the national tournament in OT...

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on March 16, 2013, 06:00:14 AMVurich's memory is the same as mine... we were in a "courting" stage, as it were.   Then Tonagel hits a 77' shot (that seems to get farther and farther as the years go on) to beat them at the buzzer and we stopped hearing from them.
So you are saying that if not for that 79 or 80 footer Belmont might have tormented us out of the Mid-Con, followed us earlier to the Horizon and we could now be on the phone trying to line up a CBI or CIT gig if the NIT didn't call? That guy might have changed the entire future of college basketball. ::)

wh

Quote from: justducky on March 16, 2013, 11:24:25 AM
Quote from: talksalot on March 16, 2013, 06:00:14 AMVurich's memory is the same as mine... we were in a "courting" stage, as it were.   Then Tonagel hits a 77' shot (that seems to get farther and farther as the years go on) to beat them at the buzzer and we stopped hearing from them.
So you are saying that if not for that 79 or 80 footer Belmont might have tormented us out of the Mid-Con, followed us earlier to the Horizon and we could now be on the phone trying to line up a CBI or CIT gig if the NIT didn't call? That guy might have changed the entire future of college basketball. ::)

Either that or the HL would be a 3-bid league by now (with us being one) and the envy of the Mid Major BB world.  ;)

valpo64

Is expansion definitely off the table for next season(13-14)?  I thought last Fall someone posted here who was on the inside at the Horizon office said there would be an official  release this March.

valpotx

If we are going to have an announcement, it will be AFTER Butler/Xavier/Creighton/Dayton/SLU make their announcements  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on March 18, 2013, 07:24:51 PM
I thought last Fall someone posted here who was on the inside at the Horizon office said there would be an official  release this March.

The president of Wright State said that at halftime of one of the Raiders TV broadcasts this past conference season. He said an announcement would be made in March.

I believe that was the plan until all the movement started with the split in the Big East and the "Catholic 7" creating their own conference and the need to fill spots in both the "old Big East" (still to be named-maybe American 12) and the "new Big East." Those schools that were going to join the Horizon League with an announcement in March have since backed off to see what other invites they might receive.

valporun

I thought Commissioner LeCrone also tabled discussion of new expansion until things have settled down during his "State of the Horizon League" speech at the HL Men's Tournament?

FWalum

IMO better to be proactive than sit back and wait.  Thinking bigger/better we may not be going after the same universities that we were before so I say lets make waves rather than ride the ripples.  :)  Or I could be completely off base.  ???
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show