• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VALPO WOMENS SOCCER #1 IN THE COUNTRY

Started by VULB#62, January 07, 2013, 04:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Yup -- best goals against average of all D-I schools.  CONGRATS! 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wsoccer/news/2012-13/12289/crusaders-finish-season-leading-nation-in-gaa/

Now if we can get FB (i.e., American football) to do the same at the FCS level we will be golden!

KL31NY

Love what Marovich has meant to this program. Seems like we have a great defense every year, but to be tops in the nation, especially after Roos and Romberg graduated from the back line, says a lot about how good this team has been.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

agibson

A solid accomplishment!  Congrats!

But, I wonder why it took until January for the news to come out?

KL31NY

Final stats came out a month ago and the Valpo season ended a month before that. We also didn't become #1 in GAA until late November when the teams that were ahead of gave up at least goal too many in the NCAAs. I assume in the interim that Aaron, as our only full-time SID, simply became so focused with the other sports that were still in session and then went head-first into basketball. Don't know what tipped him off or if he was just randomly looking a few things up, but it doesn't surprise me too much after thinking it over.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valporun

That, or Aaron finally had some time to look over it, since he didn't have to travel anywhere, or do so much work for all the sports, until he knew what was going on with getting him some extra staff to get through some of the work that was blocking his ability to leave his office.

VULB#62

The NCAA site applied it's last update actually on December 19th.  It included all game through the women's championship won by UNC.  That made it official and final. Can't really ask Aaron to have eyes in the back of his head 24/7 for all sports including those that are "out of season" as WSO was at that point. John Marinovich, as the HSC,  should be on top of things like that.  And he probably was, but, as was pointed out, there were an awful lot of things up in the air going into the Christmas holidays and this story wound up being slipped in between the hotter events of the time.  Main thing is that it got out there.

KL31NY

Looking at who is leaving vs. who is coming back, we might have a chance to repeat as the nation's leader in GAA. Most of our graduating seniors are either forwards or midfielders who (at least to me) seemed to be primarily attacking players. The only senior on the back line leaving is Janine Lytle and everyone else, including GK Kristen Manski, should be back.

Hopefully we can up front so we can get a few more goals to help out the defense. Losing Hoaglin, Desario, and Terrell is fairly big. They've been some key figures to our offensive movement.

covufan

They could be a force next year if they get the GFA up a bit.  Congrats!

valporun

#62, this information might have had to take a back burner because of all the other stuff that Aaron had to do with basketball or a few of the other fall sports, even women's bowling that he had to work with as well. Remember, he's just one guy, and I'm not sure how much stuff was being placed on the hands of the two GAs, as they also had classes to attend, and just finished finals. Usually GAs aren't given any responsibilities during semester breaks, just like how academic TAs aren't given specific responsibilities, beyond reading the required texts, before classes start. There is only so much one man can do, especially with how late in the game he had the entire department "dumped" on his shoulders. I have to give Aaron credit for doing what he was able to with all the activity, travel, and information requests/media interviews he had to also plan for.

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on January 09, 2013, 12:16:04 PM
#62, this information might have had to take a back burner because of all the other stuff that Aaron had to do with basketball or a few of the other fall sports, even women's bowling that he had to work with as well. Remember, he's just one guy, and I'm not sure how much stuff was being placed on the hands of the two GAs, as they also had classes to attend, and just finished finals. Usually GAs aren't given any responsibilities during semester breaks, just like how academic TAs aren't given specific responsibilities, beyond reading the required texts, before classes start. There is only so much one man can do, especially with how late in the game he had the entire department "dumped" on his shoulders. I have to give Aaron credit for doing what he was able to with all the activity, travel, and information requests/media interviews he had to also plan for.

Exactly what I was saying Run.  Also tried to close the open window a bit by checking the NCAA release date and found it was the 19th.  That's not a long spell between release of the news and the posting to the Valpo Athletic web site especially when you consider all that was happening plus the holidays.