• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Another poll about HL expansion

Started by bbtds, January 16, 2013, 09:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 3 of these 5 schools should be announced as the schools joining the HL?

Murray State
18 (81.8%)
Belmont
16 (72.7%)
Oakland
12 (54.5%)
Robert Morris
2 (9.1%)
Evansville
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: January 30, 2013, 09:16:33 AM

bbtds

Since Big D brought it up I would like to see how many posters think there are 3 better possibilities than Evansville for HL expansion. The results of the poll will not be revealed for 2 weeks from now/Wednesday 1/30/13.

vu72

Let me show you some current facts about the candidates and what they might do for our conference and why they might want to join o0r why we might want them.

For this analysis I'm going to use the Sagarin's.

Currently the four schools in question are ranked as follows:

Belmont      28
Evansville    93
Murray St.  101
Robert M.   131
Oakland     189

At the same time their conferences are ranked:

The Valley    9th
Summit       22nd
OVC           23rd
Northeast   24th

Now let's take a look at the Horizon, currently ranked 11th while our two best teams--Valpo at 79th and Detroit at 84th.

So you can see why Belmont would want to move to a better conference and why we would want them.  Murray has the same issue with the OVC but at 101 isn't as attractive but still would rank third in the Horizon, better than WSU at 118

Robert Morris would like to make the jump but is less attractive than Murray being currently ranked 131 which would put them 4th in our league and a head of Loyola at 138th.

Oakland is the least attractive, being ranked 189th but would want to join to get in a better conference.

Evansville would help us being ranked at 93  but would be moving slightly lower moving from the the Valley, ranked 9th, to the Horizon.

So, from a ranking standpoint we would want Belmont, then Evansville and then Murray State.  Both Belmont and Murray would be making a sizable jump in conference while Evansville would be moving down slightly.  Not sure why Evansville would make the move as geographically is seems it would be more difficult travel wise, haven't done the analysis on that one. 

Robert Morris is the top ranked team in a very bad conference, but would also fit if we are trying to take the top ranked teams from lower ranked conferences.  The odd team out is Oakland, who has a bad record, a pretty bad ranking and is not at or near the top of the Summit.

I'd take Evansville, Murray and Belmont, but Murray may not want to leave because of football in the OVC. That makes Robert Morris the third pick.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

I think we should have a topic where we repost the "ten best analytical posts in 2013" of this board, and start with this one.

EDIT:  although upon thinking of this some more, perhaps some kind of "long view" should be given...perhaps average RPI finish the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years?  Is such Sagarinfo available?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Also...I can now see the poll info.  Is it no longer hidden?  Have you gone from flashing a bit of shoulder to full frontal!?!?!

(eek.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

I voted for Murray State, Belmont and Evansville as my top three, in that order, of the five choices in the Poll.  As mentioned in previous threads, I would be very happy with the addition of Belmont, Evansville, Oakland as has been rumored and discussed in previous threads.  However, I would be ecstatic to swap Oakland for Murray State as I think Murray State has a lot to offer in basketball and overall while eliminating the concerns of dual HL teams in the Detroit market.  However, if we cannot get Murray State, I defintely believe we need to move forward with Oakland.  Robert Morris is a distant 5th.  I think any of the four are much more attractive than Robert Morris; adding RM does not excite me.

My order of priority would be: 

1)  Murray State
2)  Belmont
3)  Evansville
4)  Oakland
5)  Robert Morris (distant 5th)

The two sports I placed the most emphasis on was basketball and baseball.  Murray State gives us southern expansion with success in basketball and a good program in baseball.  Belmont give us southern expansion to the Nashville market (growth market, helps replace Indianapolis with Butler loss) with sucesss in both basketball and baseball.  Evansville fits the current HL footprint, good established rivalries, good overall sports programs.  Oakland is hurt by baseball program not as strong, poor baseball facilites, and dual market with Detroit.  Robert Morris not as attractive market-wise, more difficult travel for most HL schools/sports, no baseball program.

This would be a very competitive baseball conference:  Valpo, Wright State, Belmont, Evansville, Murray State, Milwaukee, UIC, YSU.  You could have two divisions of North and South. 

North:  Valpo, Milwaukee, UIC, YSU.
South:  WSU, Belmont, Evansvile, Murray State

In Basketball, adding Murray State and Belmont definitely gets us closer to at-large bid possibilities although probably not there yet.   
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 16, 2013, 11:03:34 AM
Also...I can now see the poll info.  Is it no longer hidden?  Have you gone from flashing a bit of shoulder to full frontal!?!?!

I thought I set the poll to reveal the results after the poll was over. That option is on the screen however it can not be selected. Therefore you can now see the results after you have voted.

vu72

Quote from: Valposter on January 16, 2013, 11:08:47 AM
I voted for Murray State, Belmont and Evansville as my top three, in that order, of the five choices in the Poll.  As mentioned in previous threads, I would be very happy with the addition of Belmont, Evansville, Oakland as has been rumored and discussed in previous threads.  However, I would be ecstatic to swap Oakland for Murray State as I think Murray State has a lot to offer in basketball and overall while eliminating the concerns of dual HL teams in the Detroit market.  However, if we cannot get Murray State, I defintely believe we need to move forward with Oakland.  Robert Morris is a distant 5th.  I think any of the four are much more attractive than Robert Morris; adding RM does not excite me.

My order of priority would be: 

1)  Murray State
2)  Belmont
3)  Evansville
4)  Oakland
5)  Robert Morris (distant 5th)

The two sports I placed the most emphasis on was basketball and baseball.  Murray State gives us southern expansion with success in basketball and a good program in baseball.  Belmont give us southern expansion to the Nashville market (growth market, helps replace Indianapolis with Butler loss) with sucesss in both basketball and baseball.  Evansville fits the current HL footprint, good established rivalries, good overall sports programs.  Oakland is hurt by baseball program not as strong, poor baseball facilites, and dual market with Detroit.  Robert Morris not as attractive market-wise, more difficult travel for most HL schools/sports, no baseball program.This would be a very competitive baseball conference:  Valpo, Wright State, Belmont, Evansville, Murray State, Milwaukee, UIC, YSU.  You could have two divisions of North and South. 

North:  Valpo, Milwaukee, UIC, YSU.
South:  WSU, Belmont, Evansvile, Murray State

In Basketball, adding Murray State and Belmont definitely gets us closer to at-large bid possibilities although probably not there yet.   

Robert Morris is in suburban Pittsburgh so it would add another large metro market and is pretty close to both CSU and YSU.  It is about 130 miles for CSU while YSU is about the same distance as Valpo to Chicago--about 60 miles.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2013, 01:11:06 PMit would add another large metro market

if "large metro market" = "the fourteen hundred people that come to games there", then, yes.  Yes it is.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 16, 2013, 01:53:47 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2013, 01:11:06 PMit would add another large metro market

if "large metro market" = "the fourteen hundred people that come to games there", then, yes.  Yes it is.

I suppose the same could be said about some of the current Horizon League members whose attendance is far from stellar.  I was referring to demographics as well as proximity to other existing members.  Attendance is an entirely different analysis.

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2013, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 16, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

I suppose the same could be said about some of the current Horizon League members whose attendance is far from stellar.  I was referring to demographics as well as proximity to other existing members.  Attendance is an entirely different analysis.
Robert Morris would also increase the HL footprint into new territory, as would Belmont and Murray State.  Evansville and Oakland  - not so much.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2013, 10:19:14 AMbut Murray may not want to leave because of football in the OVC
This was my thought as well.  What do they do with football?  They actually seem like a MVC candidate if Creighton moves on to the C7.

bbtds

Quote from: Valposter on January 16, 2013, 11:08:47 AMNashville market (growth market, helps replace Indianapolis

Let me tell you, I am missing the coverage of the Horizon League in Indy. Despite that I understand the HL has no plans to move their headquarters out of Indy. I guess if the Missouri Valley can have their headquarters in St. Louis then the HL can keep their headquarters in Indy.

historyman

Quote from: covufan on January 16, 2013, 03:45:01 PMRobert Morris would also increase the HL footprint into new territory, as would Belmont and Murray State.  Evansville and Oakland  - not so much.

Not true for Evansville. Who in southwest Indiana, southeast Illinois and the Purchase area of western Kentucky is following the Horizon League now? Remember Indy doesn't have a team in the HL any longer.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann