• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

would it kill the pep band to learn some new songs!

Started by truth219, January 21, 2013, 04:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

That was a pretty fun article to get that look behind the scenes of our home games. I didn't know the reach of the Marketing department was *that* extensive. They've been adding a lot of new things and starting to control more things over the past couple years.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

Valpo_Fred

That article is not accurate. Jennifer doesn't pick the songs the pep band plays or what the Crusaderettes do. She handles the times they play/dance during games. I'm not sure why it was worded that way. The reporter actually recorded the entire interview so I'm not sure why that was so confusing haha. Either way the rest of the article is accurate.

valpo95

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on January 22, 2013, 05:51:03 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2013, 05:50:09 PM
They need to start paying people to play in the pep band. Give like students like $15 per game, and I'm sure they'll find out how to fill out a proper pep-band with a legitimate trumpet-player-to-clarinet-player ratio. They don't need to give money for every game, but at least the big conference games and certain non-conference games. I think it's also time for a legitimate director and some non-student run organization.

I played the trumpet for 4 years in 2 different bands at Valpo and never played in a pep band game. I showed up to an initial practice freshman year and found the whole thing disorganized and a bit of a joke.

Case in point, ml.

I think I was in the band the last time they had a paid director (not a student), and we had both regular rehearsal times and a budget for both new music and equipment.  That budget for equipment came from the Athletic department.  Unfortunately, the music department tried their best to kill the band entirely, doing things like scheduling rehearsals of major ensembles on top of the times alloted to Crusader Band.   Further, once it became student-led, the music department swooped in and took some of the equipment, including the drum set, cymbals, keyboard and one of the amps.  Granted, the drum set available to the jazz band wasn't as good as the one paid for by the athletic department, but that didn't give a certain director rights to do with it as he saw fit.  It was easy when there was no one to say No.

KL31NY

Quote from: Valpo_Fred on January 28, 2013, 08:15:09 PM
That article is not accurate. Jennifer doesn't pick the songs the pep band plays or what the Crusaderettes do. She handles the times they play/dance during games. I'm not sure why it was worded that way. The reporter actually recorded the entire interview so I'm not sure why that was so confusing haha. Either way the rest of the article is accurate.
Wouldn't be the first mistake a reporter has ever made in the history of print. Thanks for the clarification.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo95 on January 28, 2013, 08:42:27 PM
I think I was in the band the last time they had a paid director (not a student), and we had both regular rehearsal times and a budget for both new music and equipment.  That budget for equipment came from the Athletic department.  Unfortunately, the music department tried their best to kill the band entirely, doing things like scheduling rehearsals of major ensembles on top of the times alloted to Crusader Band.   Further, once it became student-led, the music department swooped in and took some of the equipment, including the drum set, cymbals, keyboard and one of the amps.  Granted, the drum set available to the jazz band wasn't as good as the one paid for by the athletic department, but that didn't give a certain director rights to do with it as he saw fit.  It was easy when there was no one to say No.
[/quote]

Jeez.

truth219

While watching the game in youngstown I heard their band play "blue collar man" by styx....really kicked ass

truth219

They played don't stop believin by journey tonight...pretty awesome

HC

They also played the Psy song, I don't recall hearing either before. :thumbsup:

HC

Sitting at the ladies game, band just played American Woman, another new one for me.  :thumbsup:

talksalot

I do like that the band is taking the court during the last media timeout of the game... does take them about 6 seconds to start playing ... which is an eternity to some... but it's the first semblance of a marching band I've seen in YEARS!

truth219

This weekend UIC and YSU proved to me they have the best pep bands in the conferance. Although we didn't get to hear loyola cleveland or milwauke.

VULB#62

If that's true, it wouldn't take much of an investment and commitment to trump them.  Recruit, make it a distinctive involvement for musicians, and publicize their importance and they will join.  (Build it and they will come.)