• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Zobeck Drafted in MLS

Started by KL31NY, January 22, 2013, 01:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Schelles (our coach) mentioned earlier in the week that they were looking at the possibility of keeping 4 GKs on the roster this year, as the U-20 Mexican GK (Richard Sanchez) will be away at tournaments often.  This would leave Seitz, the Peruvian GK (Raul Fernandez), and Zobeck, when Richard is away on national team duty.  Apparently, Zobeck's strong play has kept this under strong consideration.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on February 11, 2013, 11:05:28 AMSchelles (our coach) mentioned earlier in the week that they were looking at the possibility of keeping 4 GKs on the roster this year. Apparently, Zobeck's strong play has kept this under strong consideration.

That is real good news. Hopefully Zobeck makes a strong showing in MLS.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

2nd match of 3 in Portland for FC Dallas tonight. The host team, the Timbers, will be the opponent tonight at 7:30 local time (PST), so 9:30 central and 10:30 eastern. Here are links to watch live tonight: http://www.fcdallas.com/content/watch-live-timbers-vs-fc-dallas & http://www.portlandtimbers.com/timbers-live

Also while going through some other stories, I found a review on Sunday's game in which Zobeck did not play. http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2013/02/hyndman-defense-strong-work-do-offense. The gist, defense playing very well (including GKs Chris Seitz and Raul Fernandez), offense not productive enough, team adjusting to 4-4-2 formation. Also, I noticed that one of FC's main center backs is former Butler Bulldog and North Carolina Tar Heel Matt Hedges. Horizon League represent!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

KL31NY

FC Dallas 1-0 Portland. Attendance 10,000+. No Zobeck again. If Seitz and Fernandez are battling for the No. 1 spot in net, they'll probably continue to get live action over Zo.

Fernandez was good in the 1st half w/ few challenges to worry about. Dallas scored in that half off a corner immediately after a deflection by Portland's D. GK screened by a lot of bodies, making for an easy goal from just inside the 18. Seitz had a lot more work in the 2nd but was solid, had an aggressive play getting a punch on a dangerous free kick. The back line as a whole looking pretty good for Dallas, definitely the strong point in this game and possibly for the season

In some actual Zobeck news though, I found this website that covers FC Dallas called "3rd Degree" (www.3rddegree.net). They had an update about a week ago on the remaining Supplemental picks and had some quotes from the head coach
QuoteOn Ben Zobeck [sic]

Hyndman: Quite honestly, he surprised me. There were expectations but you really don't know what those expectations are. You're not looking at a No. 1, so what are you looking for? You're looking for a keeper that's going to make your roster. You're looking for a keeper that is going to be training hard and improving. And you're looking for a keeper that has the qualities of character and leadership like all goalies have and he's bringing all those things in the locker room. But the one thing you hope for is that if you pick this young man up that he has a future in the MLS to not just be a No. 3 or not to be just on the roster but a player that you hope one day will be a starting keeper. Right now, he's on that path. I think this environment will bring the best out of him. I think Drew Keeshan, our goalkeeping coach will push him to help him develop not only his strengths but to diminish those weaknesses that we all have. I think he's in the right place in the right time in his career.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valpotx

That's really good to hear, and it sounds like he should make the roster based on those comments.  He is only 22 I believe?  That is very young for a GK, so it would be rare that he would get a chance to start.  He needs to learn over his first few years, before he is given an opportunity.  Hopefully by 24/25, he is given more possibilities. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Wow.  In what other sport would you hear the HC make such candid, forthright observations/compliments?

I mean, wow!  Any of us hearing that from our bosses would immediately make Clarke W. Griswold Pool Plans.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Schelles is a good guy who understands the college player mentality, as he coached at soccer powerhouse SMU for around 20 years, I believe.  He is not going to BS these guys on what they need to do to play in MLS, which has become a lot more competitive over the last 5 years especially.  We get a lot more international players that play for their national teams, and get some of the better players in the world now when they are 32-33, instead of what used to be 36-37 (still get this occasionally though).
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Zobeck was the only available substitute not used yesterday by FC Dallas: http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2013/02/match-recap-portland-timbers-0-fc-dallas-1

Like I said earlier though, if Dallas is still looking for its #1 keeper, Raul and Chris will get time above Zo. And I'd guess you wouldn't see 3 keepers all in one match anyway.

valpotx

It has been a battle between Raul and Chris from the start.  The 18 year old GK won't get much consideration, as he has to develop more, and will be with Mexico's U-20 group for a lot of time during the season.  Raul is one of the Peruvian national team GKs, and I think that he has taken the lead on Seitz.  There aren't many true GK battles in MLS often, so this is kind of neat to see someone that wasn't handed the job, but earned it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

One more game on this Portland trip. FC Dallas playing San Jose tomorrow at 4:30pm CT. Live stream should be available on both teams' websites, and there's a chance that a chat window will accompany video on SJ's site. I checked out the Earthquakes' match with AIK before FC Dallas played Portland and they had chat for that game.

KL31NY

valpotx

That is awesome news!  It is quite the achievement to make the MLS roster as a supplemental round pick, as more often than not, those picks don't make it (Stefan as an example).  This makes him the first major US league professional player since Bryce and Marlous were in the NBA and WNBA.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Ole, Ole, Ole.... Ole!

Outstanding!

talksalot

:thumbsup: :lol: ;D and for good measure:   :o

KL31NY

agibson

Per league and team policy, the terms of the agreement will not be disclosed.

MLS salaries are public, right?  But maybe the length etc. of the contract is not?

And, perhaps we have to wait until the next year's release to see the number?

KL31NY

According to MLS Roster Compensation rules, Zobeck should be making at least $35,125. Plus, it turns out he's the club's only Supplemental Draft pick to be signed. One had knee troubles, and the other two just didn't make it.

vu72

So he is the backup goally??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KL31NY

Back-up to the back-up to the back-up.

Raul Fernandez appears to be the #1 over Chris Seitz. Richard Sanchez is the #3, but he will also be competing on the Mexican U-20 team. That leaves Zo waiting in the wings

valpotx

Not many GKs start at 23, it is usually about 25-26 that they get some first team looks.  This is why you see good GKs still playing until they are 40
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Story from FC's website posted Thursday about Zobeck: http://www.fcdallas.com/blog/post/2013/03/07/kyle-zobeck-gets-congrats-hyndman-having-four-goalkeepers

Quote"Let's say Raul is our No. 1. He's gone for the [World Cup] qualification games. That puts Chris at No. 2. Who is No. 3? Richard? He's going to be gone a lot too," Hyndman said.
"The more and more pressure we put on him the more he did well," Hyndman said. "We knew we had to pick up another keeper and we thought Kyle could do good enough and continue to develop for us to be that player."
Also, here's some Reserve League details for a possible chance to catch Zo in action
http://www.fcdallas.com/2013-reserve-league-schedule

agibson

Interesting!  Wednesday May 1, 10 AM, Toyota Park Practice field is the Chicago game.  Probably not going to happen for me.

(Though I do hope that Jay Demerit recovers, and I eventually get a chance to watch him in Chicago.)