• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball Preview/Perfect Game

Started by jetz, February 04, 2013, 08:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Here's a link to the Perfect Game site and their Horizon League preview.  No surprise that Valpo is picked to repeat.  Several Crusaders are named to the Preseason All-HL team.  http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=7984
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

valpotx

You can't fault them too much, as we did lose a lot of pitching, and pitching/defense wins championships.  Our season will go as our new pitchers go  :).  Good to know that we still have 2 years to replace Butler for baseball, and hopefully we add 3 to safeguard our non-basketball sports.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I think it is funny that Bryce Yoder and Grant Yoder's profile pages mention, 'no relation to teammate Bryce/Grant' lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

• The Horizon finds itself in jeopardy of losing its NCAA playoff bid because it is one team short of the six required for automatic-qualifying status. Butler left for the Atlantic-10 a year earlier than expected, reacting to news that the Horizon didn't plan on allowing the Bulldogs to compete in any conference tournaments or for any league championships in their final year. Oakland, currently part of the Summit League, has expressed interested in joining the Horizon, which has two more seasons to add another team before losing its automatic bid.

I find it interesting that although this is obvious speculation on Baseball America's part, they go to the extent of naming Oakland as a possible conference member who has "expressed interest" in joining the Horizon League.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on February 04, 2013, 01:33:26 PM
• The Horizon finds itself in jeopardy of losing its NCAA playoff bid because it is one team short of the six required for automatic-qualifying status. Butler left for the Atlantic-10 a year earlier than expected, reacting to news that the Horizon didn't plan on allowing the Bulldogs to compete in any conference tournaments or for any league championships in their final year. Oakland, currently part of the Summit League, has expressed interested in joining the Horizon, which has two more seasons to add another team before losing its automatic bid.

I find it interesting that although this is obvious speculation on Baseball America's part, they go to the extent of naming Oakland as a possible conference member who has "expressed interest" in joining the Horizon League.

that hasn't exactly been a well-kept secret

Enrico Palazzo

Happy February, all.  It's been a busy past week and a half since practices started Jan. 25th.  Pitchers are beginning to extend themselves, position players are facing live pitching, etc.  Infielders and outfielders were able to get outside two or three times before the latest round of snow hit. 

The season preview will be up for consumption Monday morning, updated with the latest roster info. 

And believe it or not, the bus for Nashville leaves in 9 days and 31 minutes. 

jetz

Should have titled this thread "Conference Previews".  Here is another from Easton Baseball.  This guy has us finishing fourth (!) but he gives a decent breakdown and a neutral observer can see why he picks like he does.  His analysis, however, completely discounts transfers at all schools and relies heavily on returning pitching.  This gives us some bulletin board material... 

http://blogs.eastonbaseball.com/collegebaseballtoday/2013/02/06/2013-preview-horizon-league/

Enrico Palazzo

While the coverage of mid-major baseball is appreciated, a good deal of context needs to be instilled with these preseason predictions. Jim Callis is the king of college baseball - no question about it.  But he spends the overwhelming majority of his time following the top-25 teams.  Personally, I think he does too much between DI-DIII, NAIA, JUCO, player projections, stuff on the pro side, etc. to the point where it dilutes some of his work. And that's not a shot at Jim, because again, he's the best in the biz.

Kendall Rogers does a little better job of getting around and evaluating outside the top-25.  Even then the amount of time devoted to the Horizon League is minimal. 

To be blunt, this latest preview from Easton is a complete embarrassment. Objectively, sure, there are question marks, but to assume that a team which finished 10 games behind Valpo in the HL standings is going overcome that deficit in one year is maniacal.  It seems as though this guy assumes Deetjen's and Wild's places in the rotation are going to be filled with a cast of clowns.  And while their replacements may not have proven themselves at VU, they've done so at the JUCO level. 

Again, the publicity is great but context is required. 

jetz

Yes EP, I agree that some coverage is better than none.  And I also am a realist in that I know that the little national following any of these guys have is hungry for info on the Top 25--especially the SEC.  Which is why Kendall Rogers spends about 90 percent of his time there.  I just hope you guys have the Easton and some other predictions up on the bulletin board.  Stay hungry, my friends!  8)

Valposter

HL coaches poll has Valpo favored per College Baseball Insider.  Tanner Vavra listed as one of three top hitters.  Kyle Wormington listed as one of three top pitchers. 
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Enrico Palazzo

The original release I posted was incorrect.  It was the College Baseball Insider poll.  It was forwarded to me by an employee of the Horizon League and I didn't double check the source.  My bad.  The current version is correct.

Nevertheless, the HL Coaches poll (and preseason teams) will be released Wednesday, Feb 13th.

Valposter

Quote from: jetz on February 06, 2013, 01:00:04 PM
Yes EP, I agree that some coverage is better than none.  And I also am a realist in that I know that the little national following any of these guys have is hungry for info on the Top 25--especially the SEC.  Which is why Kendall Rogers spends about 90 percent of his time there.  I just hope you guys have the Easton and some other predictions up on the bulletin board.  Stay hungry, my friends!  8)
Reading the Tracy Woodson feature on the HL Website, it sounds like he is confident in this roster, likes being in the underdog role, and is definately using it as bulletin board material.  Go Valpo Baseball!!!!!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Enrico Palazzo

Looking at the 10-day forecast for Nashville: 

next Friday 55/31 sunny
next Saturday 50/29 partly cloudy
next Sunday not available

This Saturday looks nice for softball: high of 54.  Sunday, not so good: 53 with a 70% chance of rain.