• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League feature on Tracy Woodson

Started by Enrico Palazzo, February 06, 2013, 05:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enrico Palazzo

Below is the link to a piece Michael Raines did for the Horizon League website about head baseball coach Tracy Woodson and his fun and interesting part-time job. 

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/double-duty.html

Valposter

Great story on Coach Woodson!  Pretty cool to have the chance to ref SEC basketball!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

Enrico Palazzo

And the A-10 too.  With the SEC having a down year this season, the A-10 is actually ranked higher as a conference by several college BB metrics.  The addition of VCU and Butler was a game-changer.

VULB#62

This guy is really cool.  No question why his kids play for him so well: former MBL player, BCS BB ref, Valpo Grad, and a man of many interests.  Great role model.

valpotx

Never had any issues with him being a ref during the baseball offseason.  I wonder who he is talking about that might have a problem with it?  As long as we are winning and he keeps signing the players he does, more power to him  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Enrico Palazzo

I don't think this has been posted either, but here's a quick Q & A Tracy did with Sean Ryan, founder of College Baseball Insider.

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/13Preseason/Hor_Woodson.html

valpotx

Awesome to hear that we seem to have some starters already slotted in with college experience.  That is the beauty of JUCO transfers, as they should be ready for the competition versus an incoming FR that will probably struggle more.  Good to hear that Karch is throwing 91-93...that sounds like he gained speed?  I really wish Tommy John surgery was as advanced as it is now 13-14 years ago when I had it after HS, as I lost a good amount of speed instead lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Enrico Palazzo

I wasn't here two years ago, Tx, so I'm not able to give you an answer on his pre-TJ velocity.  From what I hear he was a hard thrower then. 

But you're right, the procedure has become so commonplace now that guys often return as strong, if not stronger.