• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New NCAA Rules for FB and BB

Started by vuweathernerd, April 28, 2011, 08:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6444510

the football rule doesn't do as much in my mind, but the move-up in the draft date has me baffled. why wouldn't that be set by the nba? matt howard certainly makes a good point in the article.

ValpoBy7

The real story not told is that freshman football players all over these Big Conferences only need a 1.7 GPA to stay eligible, and then a 1.8 GPA as a Sophomore to remain eligible, followed by a 1.9 as a Junior, and if they make it to their Senior year a 2.0 to graduate. They must have a 2.0 their Senior year to stay eligible during the season, and then into Bowl Season.

That is way many times you see players declared not eligible for Bowl play.

Another stat is players drafted usually never graduate. The low percentage of college graduated players in the NFL would really surprise you.

Anyone know what that percentage actually is?

My guess is 12%.

rlh

Quote from: ValpoBy7 on April 30, 2011, 12:40:22 AM
The real story not told is that freshman football players all over these Big Conferences only need a 1.7 GPA to stay eligible, and then a 1.8 GPA as a Sophomore to remain eligible, followed by a 1.9 as a Junior, and if they make it to their Senior year a 2.0 to graduate. They must have a 2.0 their Senior year to stay eligible during the season, and then into Bowl Season.

That is way many times you see players declared not eligible for Bowl play.

Another stat is players drafted usually never graduate. The low percentage of college graduated players in the NFL would really surprise you.

Anyone know what that percentage actually is?

My guess is 12%.
Here's an article I found which says it's more like 46% of the NFL players.....
"In an article entitled "NFL's Player Development Program helps players prepare for life after ..." by Chris Price, published on 8/30/2004 in New Orleans CityBusiness,
Dan Masonson, the NFL's corporate communications manager at that time, was quoted as saying that more than 8,200 players have participated in the NFL's continuing education programs, with average of 200 players each year, and more than 175 players have earned their degrees through the program from 1998 through 2004.

"Currently, 46 percent of NFL players have a college degree, he said."

A January 2003 Football Digest article by Kenyon Rasheed that may be found at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_5_32/ai_94767634 offers some historical information. Rasheed was a running back for the New York Giants and New York Jets from 1993 to 1997. During that time, he says "the NFL player program division (which helps place players into internships and return to college for degrees) made it mandatory for players to have college degrees to be considered for internships. This eliminated about 70% of the players. " So, if Rasheed's estimate is accurate, during 1993-1997 the figure was roughly 30%.

hckjag

I think it as much a problem with adjusting attitude of players in college as it is when they are in high school. It's about what is important in life. There are always going to be kids who turn pro early, but I'm interested to see those who make it a goal to go back and finish up a degree either during an off-season or post-retirement.   

sectionee

Wow, that 46% is quite a bit higher then I would've thought.  I would bet, that could be the highest percentage out of all the major sports.