• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

LENT 2013

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 12, 2013, 08:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I don't know what translation the Lutherans use, but I bet the joke still works.

happy Lent, brothers

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

LaPorteAveApostle

pretty sure my boy weathernerd will redeem himself for the solar flare one with this.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Is that... a griffin?  A roc?

vuweathernerd

It's a hippogriff. Courtesy of Harry Potter.

agibson

So, LaPorte was right - you got that part.  Now, what's the connection to Ash Wednesday?

vuweathernerd

I got nothing right now

StlVUFan

It looks like a phoenix bird?

agibson

OK , yeah, if it was Fawkes (was that the name of Dumbledore's phoenix?) we could work with it.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 13, 2013, 10:26:19 PM
OK , yeah, if it was Fawkes (was that the name of Dumbledore's phoenix?) we could work with it.

yes it was

LaPorteAveApostle

agibson

Oh, I'm with you on the "don't look gloomy" (though, on cross check, the NRSV we read in church uses "dismal").

I'm just trying to figure out what that has to do with a Harry Potter hipogriff.  He's just supposed to be gloomy looking?

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2013, 12:40:58 PM
Oh, I'm with you on the "don't look gloomy" (though, on cross check, the NRSV we read in church uses "dismal").

I'm just trying to figure out what that has to do with a Harry Potter hipogriff.  He's just supposed to be gloomy looking?

I believe its hipogriff = hypocrite.

Amirite, LaPorte?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo04 on February 14, 2013, 01:24:55 PMI believe its hipogriff = hypocrite.

VALPO04 FOR THE WIN!

and when ye fast, be not gloomy like the hippogriffs!

agibson

Whoah!  A fail (on my part) of biblical proportions!  I even looked up the verse!  But didn't read to the end.

Well played.